[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whatever happened to the 'peak oil' theory? it was

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: peak_oil_curve.jpg (49KB, 550x337px) Image search: [Google]
peak_oil_curve.jpg
49KB, 550x337px
whatever happened to the 'peak oil' theory?
it was huge end of the world stuff and now the media has mostly forgotten about it
>>
acid rain!
>>
>>127448841
Shale oil happened
>>
>>127448841
What bothers me the most is that the price per barrel is a 3rd of what it was in 2008, but we're still paying bullshit prices at the pump.
>http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-oil-price-history-chart
>>
>>127448841
we found a shit ton of more oil plus tech advances will likely lower consumption anyways
>>
>>127448947

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvNAolJFU0
>>
>>127448841
Technology happened.
We keep finding new huge stores of oil.
We keep finding more clever ways to extract oil from places where we couldn't before.
Peak oil was a meme. Sure the basic theory is right but people really miscalculated where on the graph we were. We're much further left of the peak than they thought.
Also most of the talk shifted onto climate change.
>>
>>127448841
Increasing prices whenever decreases in supply happened meant that people were more willing to invest in technologies to search for more oil, found more oil, supply again decreases after finding and extracting more oil, repeat the process, etc.
>>
>>127448841
next year is always the year of peak oil
we are fucked
>>
File: Gideon.jpg (28KB, 498x330px) Image search: [Google]
Gideon.jpg
28KB, 498x330px
>>127449178
>still using the hydrocarbon jew
>>
I remember learning that south africa and nazi germany used a process to convert coal into petroleum. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work if natural sources of oil dried up?
>>
>>127450051
You get less energy out of it than you put in.
>>
Our society is built on oil and is kept running by it. However, we are running out of oil and many other vital resources. We could have never acquired this standard of living without oil and other fossil fuels, nor can we retain it without them, unless we come up with some other source of energy. This would be probably the most revolutionary invention since sliced bread, and nothing I've seen makes me very optimistic about such an invention being made.

The thought of us running out of oil is unnerving, because people - including me - like this lavish way of life. Much like with immigration and multiculturalism, many people don't like to see the unpleasant truth; they hide their head in the bush and pretend like everything is okay.

However, everything is not okay. Like with immigration, we are standing on the edge of the abyss in this regard. Our civilization is crumbling due to many reasons, but most of the "redpilled" people here don't seem to see the threat related to the fact that we are incredibly reliant on things we are sooner rather than later going to run out of.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_R3gp84TY

Colonel L. Fletcher Prouty spills the beans about how oil was deliberately, incorrectly classified as a ''fossil fuel'', when in fact it is Abiotic. As such, it is a replenish-able, naturally occurring source. Peak oil is a myth, or more accurately, a lie. Just like almost everything else the establishment ever told you. Oil is like the blood of the Earth. It replenishes itself, just like your body makes blood. Do your Homework.

It's called "false scarcities" Just like Diamonds. "Blood Diamonds"
>>
It was bullshit leftist propaganda to push "global warming" and green energy.
>>
File: 1495911149527m.jpg (91KB, 1024x969px) Image search: [Google]
1495911149527m.jpg
91KB, 1024x969px
>>127448974
This desu. Shale oil and fracking opens up vast reserves of oil now
>>
>>127450051
It's insanely energy intensive and has a negative EROEI, the only reason they used it was because they had a lot of coal and little oil, while they didn't need coal to run their army but oil.
>>
>>127448841
They blew their scam wide open by not acting like oil was running out. They talked the talk but did not walk the walk.

Gasoline didn't go to $100 per gallon, food didn't get 10 times more expensive, etc., like it would if the powers that be actually thought oil was going to run out soon.

The real tell was when all the Richie Rich Liberals went around to climate change conferences in their fuel burning vehicles while telling everyone else that they needed to stop using fossil fuels. It was an obvious case of "do as I say, not as I do."

The theory will be trotted out in a few more years probably but watch for the price to gasoline to stall around 5 to 10 dollars per gallon. When oil is really about to run out the price will hover around $100 in the USA and it won't be available everywhere you go.

This is why (((elitists))) hate critical thought (not the same as critical theory, which is Marxist lies.)
>>
>theory
Unless you are arguing that there is literally infinite oil, it's not a theory.

That said, biofuels will probably make it a theory.
>>
>>127448974
This. The price of oil increased to a point where shale oil extraction was economically viable and all of a sudden our oil reserves increased tenfold overnight. Peak oil is effectively a meme.
>>
>>127448841
The can got kicked down the road 10-15 years because of shale oil extraction
>>
>>127449542
Because climate change isn't gonna do shit but peak oil could grind civilization to a halt
>>
>Implying SA tells the truth about their oil reservers

Hint: Saudi Aramco's IPO
>>
File: IMG_2501.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2501.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
>>127450572
They hate us cause they ain't us
>>
Oil extraction will become totally uneconomic at some point to justify it for powering things, you'll eventually be using more energy to extract then it's worth coming out of the ground, timing when this will occur is difficult though

>>127450315
>Oil is actually Abiotic, da scientists are just covering up da truth
take off your tinyfoil, try and use that theory to do some real prospecting and see how it works out
>>
>>127449178
When the cost of producing oil dropped governments just raised the taxes on it.
>>
>>127448841
SAME SHIT AS ALWAYS.

THEY INVENT A THING, ACT LIKE IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME.

YOU FEEL RETARDED & LAZY FOR NOT KNOWING WHAT THIS THING IS, SO YOU ACT LIKE YOU KNEW ABOUT IT ALREADY.

BOOM PREMISE_ACCEPTED.JPG

THEN EVENTUALLY A FEW PPL REALIZE THIS THING ISN'T GOOD

BY THEN EVERYONE HAS ACCEPTED AS 'SCIENCE' & YOU ARE SOME KIND OF FUNDAMENTALIST ANTI-SCIENCE FOR NOT LIKING IT

THEY USE THE THING TO TAKE YOUR MONEY

THEN IT'S ON TO THE NEXT THING

BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ANY CENTRALIZED MESSAGING OR ANALYSIS.

BECAUSE THE OLIGARCHY LITERALLY PRINTS MONEY & WE ARE POORFAGS.

THIS IS ANSWER TO OUR PROBLEMS.

WILL JUST BE LOST AS ANOTHER SHITPOST ON 4CHAN
>>
File: gas.png (266KB, 1150x840px) Image search: [Google]
gas.png
266KB, 1150x840px
>>127449178
It tracks here. When it hit the last dip, I filled up my car for less than $1/gal
>>
>>127448841
They literally found oil in every corner of the World.
Plus wouldnt the Graph mean that we should currently have Prices far lower then in the 1950s?
Not the case btw.
>>
>>127451639
>implying there isn't a finite amount of oil
>>
>>127450315

Actually it was discovered in the (70s? 80s?) that you can take a certain kind of Algae and cook it under pressure and it'll produce Crude Oil.

We can make our own Oil now, though we havent started doing so yet.
>>
>>127450572
Fracking is for natural gas extraction not oil anon
>>
>>127451639
this
>>
>>127448841
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/07/the-surprising-decline-in-us-petroleum-consumption/

Unexpected decrease in consumption and Obama's energy policies.
>>
Lol like save the whales,

Or save the rainforest

Or deforestation save the paper

Or climate change

Or peak oil

Liberals need a cause to feel
Morally superior. These causes need not be real but must provide a means to virtue signal.

It's their form of penance. They need absolution and don't get it through religion.
>>
>>127448841
I'm 49 and peak oil has been a meme regularly trotted out since I was a teenager.

To believe in peak oil is to believe in Thomas Malthus. Don't do it, kids!
>>
>>127451639
In other words you are an idiot, follow others blindly without even understanding what you are following, so it flips you the fuck out when you find out otherwise, then you blame science, leftists, and "them" for your own intellectual laziness and ignorance. Because you're a gullible retard the rightists who are actually responsible for institutionalized psychopathology convince you that it's leftists that are to blame.

Take a vow of silence for the rest of your life to save humanity from your stupidity. Keep sucking corporate dick because you sure as fuck don't know how not to.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.