[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Mathematics at the highest level has several flavors.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: terence tao.jpg (39KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
terence tao.jpg
39KB, 470x313px
>"Mathematics at the highest level has several flavors. On seeing it, one might say: (A) What amazing technical power! (B) What a grand synthesis! (C) How could anyone not have seen this before? (D) Where on earth did this come from?

>The work of Terence Tao encompasses all of the above. One cannot hope to capture its extraordinary range in a few pages. My goal here is simply to exhibit a few contributions by Tao and his collaborators, sufficient to produce all the reactions (A)... (D)."

How does one become a genius like Terence Tao /pol/?

What is the secret to unlocking the full potential of the mind?

I'm just your, everyday, slightly above average intelligence-wise, upper-middle person. Yet compared to someone like Terence I might as well be a baboon, some sort of lesser-evolved species, a cheap mockery.

How people like him stay humble I haven't a clue. I'd feel like the king of the world if I was in his position.
>>
File: NCVDE4U-1200.jpg (273KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
NCVDE4U-1200.jpg
273KB, 1200x1200px
Why do guys like asian women so damn much? They're never sexy, the most they can be is cute, and they have flat faces due to no brow ridge like white and other races of women have. Why would you want a girl with no brow ridge?
>>
>>127441469
>How does one become a genius like Terence Tao /pol/?
>What is the secret to unlocking the full potential of the mind?

genes, strong interest in subject of choice and hard work
helps if you are exposed to the field at a young age as well, so you can work all day every day without any other responsibilities.

>How people like him stay humble I haven't a clue.
probably incapable of doing some other things which diminishes his self esteem or he's well reflected enough to realize arrogance doesn't increase his chances of getting him closer to his goals, or a bit of both
>>
File: terrence tao.jpg (40KB, 460x306px) Image search: [Google]
terrence tao.jpg
40KB, 460x306px
>A mathematical puzzle that resisted solution for more than 80 years — including computerized attempts to crack it — seems to have yielded to a single mathematician.

>On 17 September 2015, Terence Tao, a mathematician at the University of California, Los Angeles, whose body of work earned him the prestigious Fields Medal in 2006, submitted a paper1 to the arXiv preprint server claiming to prove a number-theory conjecture posed by mathematician Paul Erdős in the 1930s.

>Erdős, who died in 1996, speculated that any infinite string of the numbers 1 and −1 could add up to an arbitrarily large (positive or negative) value by counting only the numbers at a fixed interval for a finite number of steps.

>The task is intuitively easy for some arrangements — tallying digits at any interval in a sequence that is all 1s will add up to a big number. And in an alternating sequence of 1s and −1s, choosing every second digit will do the job. But Erdős conjectured that it was true for any such sequence.

>Tao’s proof shows that Erdős was right: these sums can, in fact, grow infinitely large for any arbitrary sequence, although he does not provide a way to calculate their value for a given instance.
>>
Still he supported Hillary
>>
>>127441469
Even "gifted" people with IQs of 130-145 are baboons compared to Tao. He is an extreme outlier, and his autism level is very low for such a stratospherical IQ.
Compare yourself with people who are succesful in your field, not with geniuses. Normally you can make reasonable contributions with an IQ of over 120-130 (not in math research, obviously).
>>
>>127442531
What's his IQ?

Is there a big difference between someone with a 140 IQ and someone with a 160 IQ or is there a point of diminishing returns?
>>
So he's like that chess guy, Magnus? I feel like being that kind of smart is a double edged sword. Best region of IQ is 140ish i feel.
>>
File: 1486524289875.jpg (98KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1486524289875.jpg
98KB, 1024x683px
>>127442121
True. It's pretty obvious that human behaviour is far too complex for anyone to understand through facts and logic, doesn't mater how smart you are. This is why SORT memes are a better way to understand life than Sam Harris-tier """cold facts and reason""".
However, many scientists think their opinion in non-scientific subjects is somehow valuable.
>>
>>127441469
> How does one become a genius like Terence Tao /pol/?
Genetics and luck, literally nobody becomes a genius like that through hard work alone, he just hit the genetic jackpot.
>>
>>127441469
32 commits suicide from burn out.
>>
>>127442121
Intellectuals have faith in human sold arty and progress.
>>
>>127442791
I don't think his IQ is public (maybe not even measured). 190 is about 1 in a billion, so I would guess somewhere around that number. However, IQ doesn't work well with the world's most intelligent people, there is not enough statistical data.
There is a huge difference in the higher end too. It's not noticeable for normal people, just like a dog can't tell de difference between a dumb human and a smart one.
My brother is the smartest person I know by far, he is taking 10 engineering+math courses per semester with honors, learned analysis when he was 15, shit like that. A fairly conservative estimate would be that one in 200 people are that intelligent (IQ of 140). Still, he feels way too dumb to make any important contribution in math research (I think this is one of the occupations with the highest avg IQ, 160 is quite common at the top of the field). Likewise, most of these top mathematicians feel dumb compared to Tao.
>>
>>127441469
Little Terry wrote an amazingly stupid hit piece on Trump during the election and is soon to get BTFO
>>
People like this come along every once in a while. Look up von Neumann if you want another example and are unfamiliar with physics.

Of course, mathematical genius is not the only kind
>>
>>127446783
Von Neumann is a meme.
>>
Being a mathematical genius and having a high iq go hand-in-hand. Having good patern detections skills gets you far in these fields, but doesnt say much about others skills. Such as reasoning or any esoteric reasoning
>>
>>127447335
Well he's universally considered one of the greatest mathematicians of all time so if you want to provide why you think so then go ahead but you're definitely wrong.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
>>127441469

The kid is a literal retard.

He's like rain man.

Read some of his essays - it's an exercise in stunning autism.
>>
>>127441469

I guess in his case it's shutting down all other useful parts of your brain to concentrate on math.
>>
>>127442791

A couple of the high ranking Nazis had 140+ I.Q.'s which, according to the psych who tested them, put them in the very top rung of humanity.

I'm guessing that once you start getting up into those numbers it just gets too hard to measure properly or ascertain what's going on.

There was some autist who was the feature of a documentary, who had an immeasurable I.Q., and his brain was operating in a completely different manner than what other people could understand.

He also turned gay as he got smarter.
>>
>>127446160

>10 engineering+math courses per semester

fucking lol, this sounds like a brainlet's idea of how a smart person actually would behave
>>
>>127448719
You don't understand the autism level of mathematicians. Terry is actually a rare case, as his IQ is off the charts but he can talk and write like a semi-normal human being. Of course he goes into autistic tangents sometimes, but what did you expect? bring me a less autistic guy with a comparable intelligence.
>>
File: 1495525778950.png (70KB, 360x361px) Image search: [Google]
1495525778950.png
70KB, 360x361px
>>
>>127446160
I'm 142 and I don't do any of that shit.
>>
>>127449188
This is how you get two degrees at the same time, dumb burger. We don't have any decent double-degree options or major-minor jewery here. He doesn't need to study more than any decent student, so why not?
>>
>>127441469
easy
>be born with proper wiring, genetics
>have parents that don't hate you
>make sure all of your teachers fear you

Miss ANY of these and your life is hell.
>>
I've seen him talk in a small group setting. Tao is a remarkably nice, approachable and humble guy. His work is unusually collaborative... He has lots and lots of co-authors. So many genius level people are insufferably arrogant or insecure but not him. Really makes you think.
>>
>>127441469
Once Eugencis kicks in we'll make the worlds strongest person.
>Strength of the Nordics
>Intelligence of the Chinese
>Body of the Aryans
>Speed of Nigerians
>Wisdom of Jews(Makes sure this superhuman will never get cucked and always know when someone is trying to trick them, might be risky if we add too much Jew)
>>
File: XMB5Hdjl_400x400.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
XMB5Hdjl_400x400.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
>>127441469
>How does one become a genius like Terence Tao /pol/?

You cannot, a true genius is born not made. You probably know that no matter how hard you train at the gym you will never be Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dwayne Johnson, so why do you think you could be Terence Tao or John von Neumann if you work really hard in school?
Human strength is a combination of your skeletal structure and hormones. Without the right combination of these you will never be a top tier athlete.
Human intelligence is a combination of working memory (how many different things you can remember at the same time) and the speed you learn new things. Without the right natural talent in this you will never be a genius. You can get a degree in any subject you want, but that doesn't make you smart.
That doesn't mean that you shouldn't educate yourself, just that you should not have unrealistic expectations.
>>
>>127451351
>Jews
>expelled from everywhere
>unable to stop scheming as the gas valves start opening once the goyim get tired of their jewery
>wise
They are very smart, but the opposite of wise. Correct list would be:
>Intelligence of the Jews
>Integrity of the Aryans
>Industriousness of the Chinese
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.