[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a Rokkaku kite the best type of kite for versatility and ease

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

File: images (1).jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
13KB, 225x225px
Is a Rokkaku kite the best type of kite for versatility and ease of usage? I like the tail-free design. What is similar but better?
>>
>>551229
i see
>>
File: aomori kite.jpg (96KB, 693x574px) Image search: [Google]
aomori kite.jpg
96KB, 693x574px
>>551229
Kite guy here just posted about something else,saw your post.

Roks are pretty good, you get a good amount of lift and a lot of adjustabillity. Downside is you have to know enough to deal with the adjustments and all.

Deltas don't generate as much lift, and cannot be adjusted, but also do not need adjusting really. Classic Maylay diamonds can be adjusted slightly (and more like a rok if the dihedral is maintained by a bowline rather than just by a angled fitting) but generate a bit less lift for their length.

Fighting Roks is a great time, by the way.

Where you at? Can hook you up with some local fliers, maybe, if interested.

To stay on topic, some miniature paper kite plans can be found here. I have a plan for a folded rok or diamond with no spars somewhere, if I can find it I'll scan and oppost,
>>
File: 102_7449.jpg (724KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
102_7449.jpg
724KB, 2304x1728px
>>551275
Forgot link...

http://miniatures.kitingusa.com/plan_cocktail.htm
>>
(Not OP) I didn't know about about mini kites. This is so cool!

Do you know any video tutorial or something easy to follow.
>>
>>551277
I'll see what I can find. Some paper-fold minis are very simple, I have the templates up in my box of mini-making supplies somewhere.

Simple as they are, I assume if they are paper-folded they are close enough to on-topic to be worth posting.
>>
Missouri. I made a Malay type and I like it, but was looking for something a bit more stable for my son. I appreciate all tail free designs.
>>
File: SCAN0013.jpg (2MB, 2496x3232px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0013.jpg
2MB, 2496x3232px
>>551288
Sorry for the delay -- here is the plan for a miniature paper-fold Suruga style Japanese kite.

Stiffer tissue paper works best, sturdier papers tend to be too heavy but you could compensate by making it larger, I think. The dark lines show where to fold, the dark line at the top shows where a stick would go in a sticked version, disregard that for this.

The folding is stupidly simple for this board!

I am not sure if the flying instructions are clear -- this was written for a workshop of people who had at least seen miniature kites flying.

To explain some extra details:

The flying string should be slightly shorter than the "wand," a length of dowel or a telescoping rod 2-3 feet long. Attch free end to wand, and either walk along flying the kite behind you, or wave your arm in sort of a figure-8 pattern to fly the kite. The wand gets the kite clear of turbulence from your arm or body moving.

Paper fold kites can fly outdoors on a really windless day by following the same procedure, or on VERY light wind. If the kite spins or folds up and doesn't fly, there is too much wind.

Versions to fly in more wind can be made with sticks like a larger kite. Monofilament line, brush bristles and split bamboo make fine sticks, The best source for split bamboo mini-kite sticks I know is a bamboo wok brush, available in Asian grocery stores or online. One brush will last longer than you will likely live.

Use white glue (Eileen's Tacky Glue is a favorite) to apply sticks, if you want to go into that. Sticks add weight, making the sail of the kite a bit larger helps compensate for that.
>>
File: SCAN0014.jpg (171KB, 1104x1520px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0014.jpg
171KB, 1104x1520px
>>551412
Another folded paper kite plan, for a Japanese "Kimono" Kite. Can do two tails on this one.

If you decided to try a sticked version, I might move the cross-spar up a bit closer to the edge, or even do two spars, at the top and bottom of the "sleeves" of the kimono. The nice thing about miniature kites, you can mess one up and not be out a lot of money, so experimentation is easy.
>>
File: 102_7451.jpg (942KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
102_7451.jpg
942KB, 2304x1728px
>>551413
Some completed kites -- the third one is a Rokkaku, as seen in a full-sized version in OP's pic. The plan for that one is not in my stack of stuff, but I bet you can figure it out...
>>
Thanks. These ideas are pretty dope
>>
>>551414
whoa can those fly?
>>
File: souther.png (860KB, 1908x800px) Image search: [Google]
souther.png
860KB, 1908x800px
>>
File: swouther.png (612KB, 1280x537px) Image search: [Google]
swouther.png
612KB, 1280x537px
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.