[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips on cutting paper with an hobby knife? I have a relatively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Any tips on cutting paper with an hobby knife? I have a relatively difficult time working my way around one because I am pretty new at doing this.
>>
Keep the cutter at an acute angle with the paper for safety. Always very firmly press your ruler or else your edges won't be sharp enough. Use a steel instead of plastic ruler. After using a blade; tape it with a duct tape and then dispose it off to avoid injuries
>>
>>548633
Checked

>>548634
>Use a steel instead of plastic ruler.
Also, this is important. When I was doing a ton of low poly pepakura work I damaged most of my plastic rulers while cutting with xacto and now they do not draw straight because of the indents and such
>>
>>548633
"self healing" mats are a godsend. Get one if you don't have one already. >>548634 this is spot on.
Always keep blades in stock so you wont be shy about changing them. Also keep a half decent pair scissors around to deal with things that don't require a lot of precision as to save wear on your blades.
>>
How often to change blade?
>>
>>548665
really depends on what you're cutting. Cardboard, cardstock and foam are obviously going to take off way more life than say paper. If you're getting partial separations or it's not cutting all the way through the material under reasonable pressure try a new one. I have a strop with diamond stropping paste. (for razor blades and non-disposable scalpels) so I use that to resharpen blades rather than discard them. This may be pedantic but I put a paper weight on the back of my hand (about half a pound) and just let the knife rest with my elbow on the table then pull a piece of normal printer paper past the blade. If the paper does not separate cleanly then I put in the blade away for resharpening. You'll probably get a feel for it but I'm just never sure if it's me or the blade sometimes so I do the aforementioned.
>>
>>548633
Sick dubs m80
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.