[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does someone get into conflict photography? >inb4 "just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

How does someone get into conflict photography?
>inb4 "just go there"
I mean how do they get payed for their work, what makes it valuable or of importance? Can I get into it as someone who isn't a professional photographer? Is it as simple as you just get a plane ticket? This field just interests me.
>>
The better question is: WHY does someone get into conflict photography?
>>
short answer is you don't

long answer is that you can try to get embedded with a military as a freelance journalist, most western militaries will have an application process. you will also probably have to agree to show them everything you shoot to be approved before pitching it to a newsgroup. to get out there and do the real shit like from the 70s and 80s, you just go out there and try not to get killed, you dont see a lot of this anymore because everyone who does it gets killed.
>>
I'm in the military and even I struggle to get photos approved for public release.
Anyone in the world can google what comms equipment we use but a an out of focus one pops up in the background of a great shot and it's marked for no public release.
Admittedly, it may actually be easier for you to take those shots and get away with it asks civilian.
What makes a shot valuable or important? The same thing that makes any other shot valuable or important. Tells the story and captures the scene.
How do you get paid. By having valuable and important shots.
The Australian Army has a Public Affairs section with enough photographers to cover the main conflicts people care about as well as all the ceremonial bullshit. I assume other countries have the same and they'll likely get there better opportunities for great shots. Very Competitive to get into though.

As someone else said, just go to a conflict zone and try to survive long enough to post your shit online.
>>
>>3145540
Check out Ashley Gilbertson for a how to.
>>
>>3145763
How would you go about applying for such a job in the Australian Army?
>>
>>3145856
Have to do some other job for a while first and then transfer. Generally need a portfolio to be assessed and they take Corporals and above I think.
You can't just enlist as a photographer I don't think.
>>
File: mosse.jpg (58KB, 724x407px) Image search: [Google]
mosse.jpg
58KB, 724x407px
>>3145540
Richard Mosse. good shit.
https://youtu.be/QbSDv-5v_x4
>>
>>3146915
He's responsible getting me interested in this. I did a report on him nearly a year ago for an elective course and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. All I have is a Sony A5000 but I have means and time to travel and an intense interest to see these places that I only hear about in the news. I'm trying to learn the basics of photography right now so I won't take completely horrible pictures when I decide to finally go. I'm not talking about going to deadly countries currently in wars but countries recovering or building, Bosnia and Chechnya (specifically Grozny) have always interested me as places to see. Idk, I'm rambling, but I think I want to pursue this interest as a hobby and get good enough to maybe throw a portfolio together.
>>
>>3146960
Grozny is a modern city with skyscrapers, bro
>>
>>3146969
Yeah I know but it's crazy how much it has recovered since the war, I would love to check it out.
>>
>>3145550
Also most major wire services don't accept freelance work anymore (or at least they've publicly said they don't) due to morons getting themselves killed.

Also Japanese conflict tourism, it's quite amusing...
>>
>>3146960
Bosnia has also completely recovered from the war. There's some great ruins and exploring to do, but it will be a lot nicer than you expect. I was there this summer.
>>
>>3146915
yeah the congo thing and his latest were incredible
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.