[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

all cameras must come with at least 2 function dials [EXIF data

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: Sony-A6500-Top.jpg (330KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Sony-A6500-Top.jpg
330KB, 2048x1365px
all cameras must come with at least 2 function dials

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2500
Image Height2500
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:06 15:37:33
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2048
Image Height1365
>>
>>3145519
why do you need a dial just to change what mode you're using? chances are you won't be changing modes very often
>>
>>3145519
How about two /functional/ function dials. Thumb dials that require weakening your grip to contort your hand around to reach it don't count.
>>
File: h1pentax.jpg (292KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
h1pentax.jpg
292KB, 800x600px
>>3145522
Who here /onedial/
>>
File: fujifilm-x70-top.jpg (98KB, 1280x660px) Image search: [Google]
fujifilm-x70-top.jpg
98KB, 1280x660px
>>3145519
>wasting a dial on modes instead of shutter speed or aperture

I never understood this. How often are you going to be switching between modes that you need a dedicated dial?
>>
>>3145570
That camera is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>3145570
>>3145575
once held one of those toys in my hands. never again. i thought i was going to break it. it was flimsy and shitty, felt like i was manipulating a high end cellphone or something.
>>
>>3145575
>>3145577
plebs
>>
>>3145570
Could have been a nice, slim GR killer but
>flip screen
>no real focus scale or snap
>>
>>3145570

It remembers what your last settings where in each mode, and his two that are there for just programing.

It is useful as fuck. Can switch every setting in seconds, and is way more useful than just having one aperture and one shutter speed dial.
>>
>>3145593
>not liking flip screen and shooting waist level
>>
>>3145519
Too bad the layout is just rubbish on that thing.

>>3145607
It remembers, but do you? I always hated that shit on my sony camera, so unintuitive. Having direct controls takes one step out of the process, and you don't have to look at a screen or evf to change settings. Your whole post reads like you don't believe any of it yourself.
>>
>>3145570
> How often are you going to be switching between modes that you need a dedicated dial?
Often. S / A / P and sometimes MR need to be switched pretty frequently on walkaround shooting with flash.

The silly thing is to have an exposure dial, if you ask me. How often do you want to play with that rather than just a configurable ISO limit and control over which areas you want measured?
>>
>>3145640
>It remembers, but do you?

Not that hard to remember a handful of settings.

And even if you don't, it displays everything in the evf and on the back screen.
>>
>>3145570
>>3145642
I one day hope to live in a world where people understand that their shooting style is not the only way to take pictures, where people can just accept that some people prefer M, others Av, others Tv, and still others full auto, and where people realize that someone using a camera brand they don't like isn't an affront to their manhood but simply a thing that doesn't affect them at all that they can safely ignore.
>>
>>3145640
>It remembers, but do you?
I use the equivalent functionality on my canon all the time. Like when I'm shooting with external flash, I'll set up C3 as M plus Flash, and C2 as Av with no flash for if we move out of the room with the lights.
>>
>>3145645
It's not just a matter of preference. Some options are just objectively faster and more reliable than others.

Mostly those options where it's not you doing the settings, but the camera handles them perfectly (or at least better than you).

Exposure is one of them. The camera will see areas that are under- or overexposed faster than you ever can, and do so reliably. You'll never do it better or faster. So yea, it's better if the camera chooses. You can information loss over- or underexposure in post.
>>
>>3145659
Pretty much.

Which means you should never buy Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Sony, or Zeiss.
>>
File: .jpg (143KB, 1200x1076px)
.jpg
143KB, 1200x1076px
Had a chance to play with the A9 in Best Buy and it's probably has the best dial config in any camera I've tried (haven't played with 1DX or D5 yet but have everything below including D500, D810, 5D4, etc).
>2 locking function dials (finally used up that empty space in the top left)
>3 customizable dials (1 being the clickable wheel/d-pad on the back)
>1 exposure dial
>1 AF stick
If Sony brings the same config to an A7III then I'll buy in a heartbeat. Oh and if they don't skimp on 4K this time. Been meaning to upgrade from the old rabal for a while.

>>
>>3145570

Just so we're clear, the Fuji layout is absurdly good. Mode dials are a waste of space.
>>
>>3145645
>I one day hope to live in a world
Easy, just leave /p/. Even plebbit isn't this retarded
>>
>>3145659
But the camera doesn't know how you want the exposure to come out. It always aims to medium gray. Spot metering is useful in that case, but sometimes when you know your camera and how it judges exposure, it's more convenient to turn one dial a few clicks.
>>
>>3145711
>absurdly good
>impossible to use one handed

On a sony a7 series you can reach all 5 dials, 3 of which are fully customizable, with just your right hand holding the camera.

Sony ergonomics are scarily perfect.

Also, the mode dial is a godsend on sony, as every different setting remembers a full set of 9 custom buttons, a 10 item quick menu that still functions whilst the buffer is clearing and 3 custom dials.

With spam and the 2 custom modes I have my traditional setup under M, flash setup under 1 and sports/events under 2. The versatility is insane.
>>
>>3145769

Sony really has listened to feedback from their users.

Ever tried a first gen NEX-3? It is a fucking nightmare given physical form.
>>
>>3145769
>impossible to use one handed
Are you disabled?
>>
>>3145784
You can turn the aperture ring without using your other hand?
>>
File: Oly_EM10II_top_3000[1].jpg (469KB, 3000x2033px) Image search: [Google]
Oly_EM10II_top_3000[1].jpg
469KB, 3000x2033px
i was in store and deciding between the a6000 and the olympus M10 II. the dials on the M10 look absurdly big but are easily reached and are nice and clicky. the sony is awkward to hold imo.

>>
>>3145789
Yes. I can also program the front or the back dial to control the aperture on my fuji. But why would I? I have two working hands.
>>
>>3145789

You shoot one handed?
>>
>>3145914

Fap with the other hand.
>>
>>3145915
kino.
>>
>>3145683
This, and a DoF scale in the VF.
>>
>>3145914
Not him, but I often shoot one-handed with my Fuji, and did with my Nikons before I switched. I use the other hand to hold a speedlight in situations where I want the flash off-camera but I can't set up a lightstand.
>>
Nothing beats the feel of a Leica M.
Nothing.
>>
File: 03[1].jpg (393KB, 1000x698px) Image search: [Google]
03[1].jpg
393KB, 1000x698px
>all those sweet manual controls
sonykeks wouldnt understand
>>
>>3145976
>wifi
>>
>>3145645
I join that hope. People here can really go full retard so quickly.
>>
>>3145755
> But the camera doesn't know how you want the exposure to come out.
It pretty much does: No, it's not medium gray. You simply want not overexposed (or not overexposed in more than a tiny area), but as bright as possible so the sensor can record image information. [With knowledge of how far the lens aperture can "ideally" be opened to be on the sharpest lens setting.]

If you want to have it darker later, that's no problem, you got like 14 stops of DR on a properly exposed image.

Also of course you can adjust the area or change around EV or maximum lens aperture or whatever if you really need to, but this is way too rarely necessary to waste a big dedicated control knob on each.
>>
>>3145519
>all cameras must come with at least 2 function

Fixed
>>
File: 4cwB0.jpg (439KB, 1430x1136px) Image search: [Google]
4cwB0.jpg
439KB, 1430x1136px
>>3145683
Maybe I am stupid but any time I pick up a Sony camera I feel overwhelmed by the physical controls and the virtual interface which feels cluttered to me.
>>
File: 1.jpg (73KB, 667x1000px)
1.jpg
73KB, 667x1000px
>>3146008
>Also of course you can adjust the area or change around EV or maximum lens aperture or whatever if you really need to, but this is way too rarely necessary to waste a big dedicated control knob on each.

Literally what? Are you saying that too many controls on a camera is somehow a bad thing? Just shoot greenbox idiot mode then and don't bother with all those scary knobs. My camera has 7 dials & control rings on it, you'd shit your pants at the sight.

Here's a sooc shot with spot metering and exp comp -2. It turned out just as I wanted. Overexposing that would have gained nothing.
Besides, on modern iso-invariant sensors you can raise shadows like 4 stops without losing image quality.
>>
File: D3S_9481-top-1200.jpg (166KB, 1200x604px) Image search: [Google]
D3S_9481-top-1200.jpg
166KB, 1200x604px
with iso on the fn its perfect.

>>
File: ZPR-fuji-x100f-top-silver.jpg (121KB, 1024x446px) Image search: [Google]
ZPR-fuji-x100f-top-silver.jpg
121KB, 1024x446px
>>3146044
With the ISO dial they reached perfection.
>>
>>3146048
If this was 50mm it would be my perfect camera.
>>
File: D3S_8020-meter.jpg (57KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
D3S_8020-meter.jpg
57KB, 600x360px
>>3145522
This.

All those dedicated dials are just stupid and slow you down.
My D800 has two very easy to reach multi-purpose dials you use in combination with a button press to do pretty much anything you need - it's perfection.

The only dedicated dial is the metering mode selector and it's a fucking pain to use. - should have added an extra button instead.

>>
>>3145521
i change between m, av, and tv all the time when I am out shooting.
>>
>>3146031
It's a professional tool that packs as much functionality as a dslr in half the size. Once you know where everything is it becomes more efficient than cluttered.
>>
>>3146040
> Are you saying that too many controls on a camera is somehow a bad thing?
Yep. Computerized automatics with overrides are superior.
In the vast majority of cases these overrides should not be their own knob or dial, it's not about "scary" but about having enough knobs and dials anyhow to plaster a camera with just the ones that remain.

> My camera has 7 dials & control rings on it, you'd shit your pants at the sight.
No, I'd probably just facepalm at how some idiots thought they had to make all of that a knob and so film retro rather than make superior software to handle it.

> Here's a sooc shot with spot metering and exp comp -2. It turned out just as I wanted. Overexposing that would have gained nothing.
Exactly, and you could have let the camera do a (non-overexposed) shot and then done -2 in post. Knob saved, reliability gained.

> ou can raise shadows like 4 stops without losing image quality
Or lower a properly exposed image by 10 stops without loosing more than if it was SOOC, sure.
>>
>>3146093
This.
>>
>>3146031
A9 is a bit packed with controls since it's competing with the D5/1DXII which have far more. A6000 to A7 are all piss easy to use. The only hard part is determining what to set each dial/custom button to if you don't like the stock config.
>>
>>3146117
Yes we get it, you're a moron.
>>
>>3146070
Just crop, dumbass. Don't ruin a nice camera with your stupid ideas.
>>
>>3146070

>If this was 40mm it would be my perfect camera.

FTFY.

Oh and if the lens was not softer than taco shits.

And it had a decent autofocus speed.

And it had a real sensor and not that gimmicky x-trans.
>>
>>3146328
>autofocus speed.
AF belongs on sports bodies and tard-tier compacts.

For this kind of camera, being able to quickly focus preemptively is the true priority.
A true physical scale would allow a user to instantly nail focus in any lighting condition, as long as you were aware of how far away the subject is.
>>
>>3146330

It is not like a fast focusing compact is hard to do.

And with how much they cost, there is no reason for it to have the terribly slow autofocus it already has.
>>
>>3146347
Fast focusing compact with apsc sized sensor and a tiny lens... Now that is a challenge. Or if it's so easy, why don't you go ahead and make one your self.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.