[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best set of older manual focus lenses that are great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1563.jpg (23KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1563.jpg
23KB, 261x193px
What is the best set of older manual focus lenses that are great quality and affordable?

I sold my AF lenses and want to pick up an adapter and some bargain (but great quality) older lenses.

I want them to be all the same brand as I only want to buy one high quality adapter and not several different ones.

Nikkors seem nice but overpriced, I am thinking maybe older Olympus or Pentax glass. Keen to get other opinions though.

I only want a few primes.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width261
Image Height193
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
m42
>>
>>3134330

m-mount

While manual focus lenses, they can actually autofocus with the proper adapter.
>>
K-mount.

Not only are they cheap, they're also the best manual glass ever made.
>>
I own a handful of AI Nikkors and I like them all alot. They feel incredibly premium, and are a joy to use.

I would advise against Olympus, although they are tiny and feel nice, the ones I have seen are often covered in fungus, though that could be due to my climate. I have read reports that fungus is a very common issue with Olympus, so it seems not to be coincidence.

I also own a few FD lenses with the SSC coating and like them alot as well. I think they are priced below Nikkors, but feel great, and are well made.

Minolta Rokkors are also held in well regard, though I have yet to own one.

phillipreeve.net has a decent catalog of Canon FD and Minolta with reviews and comparisons, so I would advise browsing there as well.
>>
>>3134330
Pentax. They were produced in such huge numbers, you can find good condition and good quality glass for under 50 bucks.
>>
>>3134330
>buy one high quality adapter
i dont know what the exact situation in your country is, but in germany, you can either order cheap fully manual (without extra aperture) ones for about 7€ (~10$), go for the middle priced brand ones for around 30€ or choose the full retard 200€ adapter. ive got one cheap nikkon f-mount to sony e-mount adapter for 5€ from china and it works just perfect. you could have bad luck with infinity focus or light leaking but mine works great and id rather order an extra adapter than spending 30€ for each system. nikkon and minolta are nice because you get a large variety of really good lenses that are even cheap as fuck in the minolta case but with adapter prizes that low id honestly buy a new one whenever you find a decent lense for whatever system.
>>
Canon FD
>>
What system, OP?

I bought some nice M42 lenses and the Mitakon Zhongyi speed booster and I get awesome results.
>>
>>3134330
> great quality
Nothing really gets the great quality of modern lenses. This is why you'd spend some money...

> affordable
Minolta are a good guess. Nice to operate, cheap, not bad.
>>
>>3137006
the coating really sucks on old lenses. we have become really good with that stuff nowadays.
>>
>>3137006
The best thing about modern lenses is the speed, especially on zooms.
But otherwise. The differences are minimal unless you shoot charts and view at 100% on 24mp.
>>
>>3134330
This is stupid. Yes, avoid the Nikkors. Minolta MD, all day every day. Also for which camera?
>>
File: con_zeiss_35_70_1a.jpg (58KB, 780x575px) Image search: [Google]
con_zeiss_35_70_1a.jpg
58KB, 780x575px
>>3134330
Contax / Yashica will forever be the GOAT manual SLR system.
>>
File: contax-25mm-28-960x640.jpg (72KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
contax-25mm-28-960x640.jpg
72KB, 960x640px
>>3137023
Very good price/performance ratios, and often designs that they still use today except at 1/5 the cost.
>>
Anybody recommend a sharp MF lens for a6000 in the order of 50-85mm?

Can be a chinkshit lens or an old one. Needs to have good bokeh (none of this 5 ring pentagonal bokeh shit)

preferably not over $200
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (722KB, 2464x1632px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001.jpg
722KB, 2464x1632px
>>3137025
and lenses that would be "unicorns" if they weren't acceptably priced and not too difficult to find.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5100
Camera SoftwareVer.1.01
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern38710
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)69 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:08:31 13:24:12
Exposure Time1/8 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length46.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2464
Image Height1632
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used640
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeMANUAL
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested640
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon D Series
Lens Range18.0 - 50.0 mm; f/2.8
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations25139
>>
>>3137027
Contax zeiss 50mm f1. 7
>>
>>3137027
Meike 50mm for new, pentax smc 50mm 1.4 for o
D. The pentax will be better and cost the same or maybe even cheaper after the adapter.
Meike will be smaller and lighter.
>>
>>3137043
>>3137047

ty senpai

I was also checking out minolta 58mm 1.4 but I'm having trouble finding ones without fungus that aren't priced crazy
>>
>>3137023
Can you recommend some? Im looking for a decent 24mm-35mm equivalent on APS-C.
>>
>>3137052
58 1.4 is old as fuck.
find 50 1.4 mdii + zhong yi lens turbo 2.
>>
>>3137101
What about a canon FD 50mm 1.4? I'm seeing pictures and it's sharp af
>>
>>3137112
it's great.
i had one mint for $30.
sold it for $150.
>>
How do Carl Zeiss Jena lenses stack up? I'm looking at the 55mm Biotar.
>>
Numbers of M42
Every CZ C/Y mount
>>
>>3137547
just get helios if you are looking or swirly bokeh, czj pancolar/flektogon/sonnar are great
>>
>>3137871
Got the helios, always wanted Zeiss glass, even if it's not "real" Zeiss.
>>
>>3137547
jena is fake zeiss.
>>
Okay, so everybody knows that Contax/Yashica Carl Zeisses are bretty gud. I might consider them for video with the follow focus and mount adapters necessary. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that they might not be as good as some proper Cine prime CZ. Anyone who has them, are they as sharp as they say, or are them just like the m42 Jennas?
>>
>>3137003
I mostly use m42 for vinatge needs, got sigma 50 f2.8 macro on FD. Besides Canon 50f1.4, what else cool things are there? Couldn't find anything interesting in 300-600 range
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.