[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello I come seeking guidance. im not a photographer just a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: raw-processing.jpg (1MB, 2048x3090px) Image search: [Google]
raw-processing.jpg
1MB, 2048x3090px
hello I come seeking guidance.
im not a photographer just a guy with a camera who gets dragged places and takes snapshits.
I have 2 things to talk about.

1, because im always trailing behind I can never stop to take photos, so I have to be quick. problem im having shooting my Nikon d90 in manual is I cant seem to change the dials fast enough to keep up with the changing exposure meter.
I move the dials but the camera cant seem to keep up. I have to wait a second then change slowly.

2 is my raw processing, pic related is my workflow.
I neutralize everything to average grey. that way no one bit is over or under exposed.
then I move the sliders back deciding how much highlights I want, how dark I want the shadows to be.

the fourth image I sometimes put through a preset see if it does anything interesting.

1 is this a normal issue people have? is it me or the technology?

2 whats a normal raw workflow?
>>
>>3131616
Your raw processing was a failure in the first step. To get a decent photo, you need to expose properly. In this situation, the lighting was indeed very shite, but still, you should have exposed for the statue in the first place.

This is very important, you CANT just correct it all in post, even raw woudnt save you from that.

Bringing it all to null in your second picture is absolutely not needed. You need to start out with a decent exposure to only slightly adjust later.

Also, your image is also soft and blurry. Take images with a faster shutter speed (wikipedia), and make sure your camera autofocused on the correct thing.

Your composition and subject matter is also very shite, but thats a lesson for another time. First learn how to expose properly.
>>
>>3131629
youre right, that was the first time id switched to using manual, and I guess that's why I have to go through so much post processing.

what shutter speed do you recommend? that ken Rockwell recommended between 30 - 60.
>>
>>3131637
1/30 -1/60?? nah that cant be.

it depends on your focal length (wiki). But you need to be a lot faster than that. Typically in the day I would go around anywhere from 1/320 in shadows to 1/2000 in the sun.

Your f stop? The sharpest f stop for most lenses is around f/5.6-f/8, that would be ideal for you to use, but you can EASILY go down to your minimum f stop, which should be somewhere around f2-3-4 in darker spots like this
>>
>>3131616
So what are you like a 14 year old that gets dragged around by their parents on family vacations and they don't let you wander off too far because you might get lost? Just shoot in program mode you nerd.
>>
>>3131656
OP confirmed underage
But Im still here writing out some basic stuff, you know
>>
bump for intelligible replies.

what about the camera being slow issue?
>>
>>3131629
why expose for the statue? shouldn't you expose for the highlights and then lift the shadows?
>>
>>3132087
I read today you underexpose for the sky then use flash to illuminate the subject.
but I don't see how that would work on something so far away.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.