[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay learning to shoot manual. Any advantage to longer shutter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (35KB, 430x516px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 430x516px
Okay learning to shoot manual. Any advantage to longer shutter speeds when I'm taking pictures of things that aren't moving? Should I always use a tripod? Anyone ever take a photography class? My local college has them.
>>
>>3129774
If you are shooting landscapes or macro where nothing is moving you really should use a tripod
>>
File: B0190051-y720px(2).jpg (113KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
B0190051-y720px(2).jpg
113KB, 480x720px
>>3129774
Diminishing returns.
If you can get the visually relevant bit of your subject in focus then you can shoot wide open, which usually means a faster shutter speed.
If you need a smaller aperture for more depth of focus then you, and the subject, will need to be able to hold still for as long as it takes... or use a flash and shutterspeed becomes much less relevant. But after about f/16-ish diffraction starts to soften your image anyway, so smaller apertures are not always best and deeeeeep DOF is not always obtainable.
Manual is slow. You almost never need to tell the camera how to expose something correctly. It's designed to do that very well all by itself, and adjust settings to suit instantly.
The human should pick one of the aspects they want to control specifically and set that one only. Anything else is special circumstances, or pretentiousness.

Try to only take what you can use. Don't be that toolbag with a backpack of shit they have to make a laborious conscious decision to even use.
Your camera should be in your hand all the time, and automatically come up to your eye if something looks even remotely interesting...and seem to fire itself at least once before you reconsider your angle etc.. Otherwise you are just another poser who is doing promising-newbie-photographer wrong.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 2.0.7
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)217 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2017:06:24 18:34:34
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating640
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length145.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>3129838
Shit picture senpai hope that's not.yours. So what your saying is shoot aperture priority?
>>
>>3129847
Manually set your iso and shoot aperture priority

The only time to use full manual is if for some reason the camera is really fucking up the exposure and you don't have a compensation dial or if you are using a flash. If you are using strobes and stuff shoot manual
>>
>>3129774
>Any advantage to longer shutter speeds when I'm taking pictures of things that aren't moving?
Less noise in the image.
>>
>>3129850
>Manually set your iso and shoot aperture priority
How about auto iso and shutter priority set to 1/500th? I would use this setting in places where I want to make sure I get the shot on the first try.
>>
>>3129774
You can use a lower ISO. Use a tripod when you're doing long exposure or landscape or anything that camera shake is an issue and you don't need to move the camera.
>>
>>3129774
Basically, you should generally try to use as low ISO as you can get away with.
If you use a longer shutter speed, you can use a lower ISO.
Sometimes it also helps to have a wide aperture, too.
>>
>>3129774
Longer shutter speeds are never beneficial to image quality because the longer your sensor is exposed the more electronic noise you'll get (a different kind of noise to high ISO). Technically speaking, more light entering the lens in the lowest time is universally a good thing, and long shutter speeds imply you'll be in reduced light conditions or using an ND filter. Obviously in reality you'll have to figure out your settings based on the circumstances and each situation is different so there isn't really a single rule or formula you can follow for 100% success.

Don't bother with photography class unless you're gonna focus on making connections with the other students. If all you want to do is learn photography, go out and shoot every day.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.