[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Cosplayer asked me to do a photoshoot with her at a convention

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_7966.jpg (2MB, 1424x2144px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7966.jpg
2MB, 1424x2144px
>Cosplayer asked me to do a photoshoot with her at a convention that's coming up.
>I am a complete amateur equipped with only a D90, a 35mm 1.8 lens and a cheapo speedlight flash that I don't know how to use as I just purchased it online 15 mins ago, no reflective panels or any of that stuff.

What should I expect or do?
Things to keep in mind?

How the FUG does this work. I told her I'm pretty new to all this so I hope she'll be forgiving. ;_;

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D90
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.9
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern736
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)51 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:07:10 23:22:29
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length34.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
i can tell you're going to fuck this up just because you used the ;_; face

you're probably some pathetic robot faggot who will only embarrass himself
>>
>>3127995
Of course I am faggot, I'm going to a convention after all.
Pls tell me how to not embarass myself
>>
>>3127992
Imagine the picture you want to end up with, look at the scene and what you have, then make the changes you need in the scene to get the picture you want.

Your equipment is more than adequate. Many photographers have made brilliant work with far less.
>>
Read this http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2006/03/lighting-101.html
Memorize it. Practice it. Hold it close to your heart. Don't worry about the gear so much as how it is applied and the principles behind it.
>>
>>3127992
put it on auto.
get a 50 1.8 or 85 1.8.
buy a flash diffuser.
>>
There was a dude I met a con who was getting some banging portraits with a T3i, 50mm 1.8, like three or four flashes, and some reflector cards for said flashes. He was a bit of a creepy orbiter, but I was pretty damn impressed with his stuff.
As long as you have the confidence to direct a shoot, and know good lighting then you should be fine; on the other hand if you're going in with ZERO experience whatsoever then that's your fault for accepting something that was way over your head.
Better start watching a lot of portrait videos on Youtube, and maybe look buying a bounce card and another flash with a stand.

I also have to ask how long the shoot is, and if you're getting paid or not because that can affect things too. If it's like a 15 minute shoot and you're doing it FOR FREE then it's not as big of a deal if something goes sideways, but if this is like an hour and you're charging them what would go towards merch or alcohol then things might be different.
>>
>>3128005
>getting paid
Oh lordy no, it's free and it's prob going to be 15 - 30 mins depending on how things go, possibly even shorter.
I did tell her I have zero experience but she still wanted to go through with it. I just really want to use this as an opportunity to practice in a setting where I have some sort of freedom in setting up a shot the way I want to and it seems like she understand that.

>>3128003
What would I be losing out on if I stayed with the 35 over buying a 50 1.8?

>>3128002
Useful link, thank you.
>>
>>3128018
Okay if it's a short shoot where you're not getting paid then yeah you'll be good man. Also if you don't want to buy gear, you can always rent. That's what I did with a 70-200 for a con shoot that I did with a friend.
>>
>>3128018
>stayed with the 35 over buying a 50 1.8
Barrel distortion.

Really, you'll have to be a lot closer for the same framing. If you want to do any tight shots, you'll be right in the subject's face. It maybe be OK for wide shots, especially near the center of the frame, but even on crop you'll start noticing distortion the closer you are to the edges.
>>
Don't worry about it too much. You've got the basic equipment, it's hella better than the average compact camera and/or cell phone, and the cosplay isn't going to be that good either at your tier. Just get your white balance correct (wrt the flash and any ambient light there might be), fill the frame with your composition, don't shoot up close at f/2.8 or wider, try bounce flash at least to chimp a couple of times, and you'll be good.

Look at it this way: people working with finger paints on a cave wall don't give a fuck about perspective and leading lines when they've got shape and species and maybe scale to work with. As a newbie the best you'll do is "good for a newbie", and that's neither difficult nor rare.
>>
>>3128018
50 to 100mm is more flaterring. Think how fucked up you can make someone look with a fish eye now imagine the opposite.
You could probably get a good 50mm manual focus for next to nothing. For portraits, manual is fine.

Also, screw the flash, shoot during golden hour and get the natural lighting from the right angle.
>>
>>3127998
This is your answer, OP. Whether it's cosplay photography, portraiture or landscape/nature, the key to successful photography is previsualization. See the desired end result in your mind, then figure out how to make it happen.
>>
>>3127992
DO NOT sweat the gear.
Especially the speedlight, though kudos for making the effort to buy one.
If you have good composition, the model's good and you can put a bit of soul and flair into your shots, you can work with natural light only. A speedlight will give you more options, if you know how to use it, and as such is exactly as much help as your knowledge is.
I would recommend getting a hold of a simple spring-frame reflector (Or just a big pad of white paper, sheet of foamcore, etc) to use as a bounce or a partial backdrop, and spend more time thinking on fun and interesting shots. You'll be surprised how the time flows if you focus in on your surroundings and not your capabilities.
Good luck, have fun.
>>
>>3127992
ALT RIGHT faggot make me sick to my stomach.
>>
File: 1388365973955.png (169KB, 270x347px) Image search: [Google]
1388365973955.png
169KB, 270x347px
>>3128363
>>
>>3128382
h3h3 is a an ALT RIGHT FAGGOT!!
And so are his gullible idiot fans.
>>
>>3127997 Pls tell me how to not embarass myself

Dont leave your house
>>
>>3128393

h3 is a counter signalling heeb, like all kikes in the grand scheme of things they play and act for both sides.

I wouldn't consider him alt right, but then again there are so many interpretations of this alt light meme that most likely the 'cool kid' jews are using it in a subversive manner which they benefit from.

Regardless fuck him but also fuck you, this isn't /pol/ keep it on topic.
>>
File: 1399541366621.jpg (368KB, 840x700px) Image search: [Google]
1399541366621.jpg
368KB, 840x700px
>>3128458
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.