[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into digital photography exposure? Someone said expose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1501505366596.jpg (115KB, 640x397px) Image search: [Google]
1501505366596.jpg
115KB, 640x397px
How do I into digital photography exposure? Someone said expose for the highlights. What does that mean. Let's say I'm shooting a building set against sky. Point the camera at sky then focus lock and have the sky exposure nice and blue and everything else in shadow? Then reduce shadows in Lightroom? Can can I just lock exposure on a gr2 and not lock both focus and exposure.
>>
It's easier to adjust your dark shit as opposed to your bright shit, so if clouds or waves or white stuff is blown the fuck out, fix it in camera even if it means making everything else really dark,
>>
>>3127651
So basically like I posted? Just wasn't sure if I understood. Also white balance in camera. Leave it on auto or change it for every situation?
>>
>>3127658
yeah you want the bright part to be properly exposed in camera. the dark part can be super dark.

then in post you can reduce shadows and the dark part will look normal.

if you do it the other way around the highlights will be fked beyond repair
>>
>>3127658
Shoot in RAW and leave the AWB ( auto white balance )
>>
>>3127650
you have two competing interests

-you don't want the hightights to blow out
-you don't want the dark areas to be noisy

you protect the highlights by underexposing, you clean the darks by overexposing and crushing in post. you have to look at your scene and decide what parts are important to you to judge the exposure.
>>
>>3127673
Fuuuuucccckkkk this fucks me up. What would you do for the situation I posted first.
>>
>>3127689
Go for the blue sky. You can't easily fix a blown the fuck out white sky.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.