[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /p/ I'm getting into photography. My father noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: g2.jpg (45KB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
g2.jpg
45KB, 640x477px
Hey /p/

I'm getting into photography. My father noticed my interest and handed down to me a Canon Powershot G2.

I looked it up and its from 2001.... I have cell phone samsung galaxy s7.

Am I wasting my time with the G2? It seems the software nbeed for the g2 isnt offered anymore so the only way to pull the photos off it is to get a usb card reader and even then it only hold 24 photos on the card.. I'm a little disapointed.

TLDR; Whats should I be using the g2 or the galxy s7?

Ill mostly be taking shots at night in the city

Thanks for your time /p/

Sin
>>
Just use the fucking camera.
If you like it, fine.
If you don't, fine.
>>
>>3126446
just get an entry level DSLR
you'll get massive improvement from either one from a small investment
>>
You should probably just get a used DSLR and start there.
>>
>>3126446
s7 since it will probably outperform it and you'll always have it on you
>>
that's nice, anon

some people's fathers hand them down an Omega Speedmaster or a BMW 2002

cool camera though
>>
>>3126452
whats a cheap entry level dslr. no idea what dslr means. I get it, im dumb
>>
>>3126446
Learn how to shoot on that, force yourself to take good photos with it, then move to a DSLR/mirrorless when you're ready

Also take advantage of that sick ass CCD sensor
>>
>>3126626
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_single-lens_reflex_camera

550Ds go for about $250 used with lenskit, that's a good start

if you want advice with camera purchases, go to the gear thread
>>
>>3126446
It can take RAW >1080p photos, that's something.
>>
>>3126638
Raw wats dat?
>>
File: CRW_0240.jpg (2MB, 2304x1712px) Image search: [Google]
CRW_0240.jpg
2MB, 2304x1712px
>>3126642
That camera can output .CRW, which is Canon's old RAW formant. They now use .CR2. It's basiclly a complete unedited data readout of the digital sensor, with no JPG compression and allows for better color correction during editing without banding. The sensor outputs a 10-bit image and is saved when using RAW (.CRW), which would be better than the 8-bit JPG image it can output. Modern DSLR cameras can output 14-bits and higher, providing even more editing headroom.

I downloaded a sample .CRW image from this camera and converted it to JPG, which was provided by https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong2/12

Not too bad for what it is, a 16 year old digital camera.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G2
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 5.0-r1-gtk3
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2304
Image Height1712
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2001:08:04 12:18:28
Exposure Time503/10000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length16.00 mm
>>
File: SS9Dt3W.jpg (23KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
SS9Dt3W.jpg
23KB, 960x539px
>>3126655
Also wanted to say that it's pretty sad that Digital Photo Professional 4 (which is Canon's current RAW editor) could not make anything of their old .CRW file. I had to open it in fucking Rawtherapee.
>>
>>3126659
thnx for the explanation. I appreciate it. I know, 16 years old though I should expect these problems
>>
>>3126574
>Omega Speedmaster
Still waiting on mine, from my mom though.
>>
>>3126627
film is not a great way to start. teaching someone to be patient is difficult. he'll get sick of being shitty and give it up. digital is the best way to start since used dslr's are so cheap.
>>
>>3126760
>he'll get sick of being shitty and give it up.

The weak will make way for the strong.

When did photography have to be inalienable right to every shit chucking ape?
>>
>>3126792
because a world without everyone being perfectly equal in every way is just awful

also OP, just start taking pictures, then read up on exposure when you find out they're shit, and then read up on composition when you find out they're still shit after that. google is your friend
>>
>>3126817
lol ok guys. I get it. Use this camera till I hate it. Which shouldn't take long then buy a used dslr.
>>
>>3126446
>Canon Powershot G2

Well, the thing is that even though your phone may be technically better in many ways this camera has two things going for it.

1. The effective aperture is 1:2.0-2.5 aka F 2 to F 2.5

Being able to shoot raw format is a huge boon to this camera, even if you need funky older software to access and edit the images. I think with some ingenuity you could see some very nice results with this camera, and learn a lot along the way.
This is rather good for a point and shoot camera and will let you shoot in low light without flash.

2. The lens is quite sharp as evidenced in this post:
>>3126655

Your phone will not be anywhere near this sharp, and certainly not in low-light without a flash.
>>
>>3126446
The G2 would be a little nicer to learn on than the phone.

Pick up a Canon 20D for $20~50 a pokey zoom, and a few primes if you want to get into it. The whole package shouldn't cost you more than $400, and you should have a setup most famous photographers of the 20th century would kill for. It would hold up quite well for paid work even now.
>>
>>3127338
I almost gave up on this camera. So i need to find a usb card reader and old software to see the raw files.
>>3127405 Im pretty broke, no way ill have 400$ to throw around till next year :(
>>
File: daido.jpg (125KB, 945x667px) Image search: [Google]
daido.jpg
125KB, 945x667px
>>3126446
don't listen to this fag>>3126452
just use that camera, point and shoot cameras are more honest and natural, it just catch what normal eyes see. look up Daido Moriyama.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2007:03:09 21:01:29
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width945
Image Height667
>>
>>3127338
>Well, the thing is that even though your phone may be technically better in many ways this camera has two things going for it.
why ? only because of the sharpness of the color ? even film cameras have a lot less sharpness than phone cameras, doesn't mean it's worse for photography. there's a lot of other variables in terms of photography and sharpness isn't the only one.
>>
File: Ricoh_GR_front.jpg (183KB, 800x627px) Image search: [Google]
Ricoh_GR_front.jpg
183KB, 800x627px
just get a GR. point and shoot is cool now. having them in your coat pocket is cooler than carrying gigantic journalist/natgeo camera everywhere.
>>
>>3128009
just a recommendation
if that's not possible, G2 is not that bad considering the age
>>
>>3127999
>no way ill have 400$ to throw around till next year :(

So just use what you have. Learn what good pictures look like. Learn what kind of pictures you want to take. Learn what changes in shutter speed, aperture, and sensitivity does to an image.

An afternoon at the library as a beginner can change your life.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.