[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong /p/? Are MFT dead because Pros won't use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

File: P1010017-001.jpg (205KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
P1010017-001.jpg
205KB, 1200x675px
What went wrong /p/?

Are MFT dead because
Pros won't use them because their image quality is shit
Hobbyist/Enthusiasts won't use them because of their small sensor
Consumers won't use them because it is ugly unlike the cool looking entry level Fuji that is marketed towards women and has a bigger X-trans sensor
Portability with meme4/3 is none existent since you'll basically bring more batteries and their pro lenses are as big as crop sensor lenses.

Lenses also cost more than APS-C lenses. Is this the nail in the coffin for meme4/3? Even a 35mm film cameras takes better photos and has a bigger film sensor.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
PhotographerPicasa
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1200
Image Height675
>>
Went to my local camera store today, they had 2 fujifilm lenses on display, some Panasonic FZ1000 type cameras and a few Panasonic m/4/3 lenses and then a whole cabinet of Olympus gear from the EM1 M2 and the new 300mm prime.

The guy told me Olympus is basically the only mirrorless gear they sell and reliably stock.

I'd like to know how m4/3 sales do worldwide, I really like the LUMIX system but it seems like it could be killed off at any time.
>>
>>3124753
Fuck no. They're the most innovative guys in the market.
>>
>>3124769
They get a huge markup for selling meme4/3 gear. Manufacturers like Fujifilm and Sony practice good business relations with consumers by limiting the profit margin of retailers. That's why retailers push meme4/3 hard down to our throats. But good thing we know better.
>>
ugh another m43 thread...
>>
>>3124753

These M43 threads are like those pseudo-cuck threads on /gif/.
>>
>>3124844
Why did you sage?

>>3124814
Thanks for the hint. I forgot this thread. Good discussion so far! Also bump
>>
>this thread again

If m43 of all things makes you insecure, you've got problems man
>>
>>3124848
It might shocked you that meme4/3 users are the ones making this thread to make their systems more known.
>>
>>3124852
Even if that's true, what I said still applies
>>
>>3124788
Bollocks. I used to work in a camera store in the UK. Sony offered by far the best bonuses to us for selling their gear, every a7 or equivalent camera we sold got us a £20 voucher to spend on any Sony products. Samsung gave us an NX Mini on loan, Panasonic gave us a discount in the Panasonic store across the road, etc etc.

Olympus gave us nothing and they still outsold anyone else, for 2 reasons: they look cool and the screens are very good, so you take a photo and it looks great immediately on the camera screen. As soon as anyone took it out for demo they were sold.

Same thing happened with Nikon and Canon. The fact that Canon's awb is slightly more tinted toward green and yellow really put people off.
>>
Drones use m43, there are a shitload of lenses available, panasonics are praised for their video capabilities, even some pros use them
>>
>>3124910
>Drones use m43

Took me a while to realize this isn't a shitpost
>>
>>3124769
Germanfag here. At both the general electrics/devices stores as well as the dedicated photostores I see around a quarter of all DILC-space being dedicated to MFTs, both Olly and Panny. DILCs again make up around two thirds of all camera-space on the showfloors and showcases.
Lenses for MFT, on the other hand, are hard to come by.

Other things I noticed:
Nikon makes up less and less of the DILC-space
Pentax is non-existant
Sometimes you see a Fuji
Sony only has the a7 and the a6000 on show, rarely the a6500 and a6300
Sony is marked down as sales most frequently, especially the older models. They seem to sit on the shelf a lot.
>>
>>3124963
>DILC

What kind of dumb term is that?
DILC is something that goes along with MILF
>>
>>3124971
Because writing or saying DSLR/DSLM all the time is tiresome and people don't get why people call it "mirrorless" for the average consumer it's just "a camera that can have different lenses"
>>
>>3124963
What you're seeing is that stores have popular cheap and midrange models for everything. Stores cater to what's more easily an impulse buy when people are out shopping.

If it's definitely not in impulse buy territory for almost anyone, they probably don't get sales.

Germans will generally buy expensive stuff or any other stuff they want to save money on online.
>>
>>3124753
>What went wrong /p/?

Your parents butched the home abortion and the result is you, a retarded failure.
>>
>>3124753
>another m43 bait thread
still obsessed, cuck?
>>
>>3124773
Kodak were innovative in their day and look what happened to them
>>
File: GH4_slant_YAGH_zps2fe945db.jpg (78KB, 1024x899px) Image search: [Google]
GH4_slant_YAGH_zps2fe945db.jpg
78KB, 1024x899px
>>3124753
m43 has its place and that place is video as the sensor size is nice and close to Super 16 and not much smaller than standard 35mm (not super 35 or scope)

lolimpus put all their eggs in the small format still camera basket. when it was just m34 and aps-c the difference wasn't that big but once ff came on the scene the death of m43 was in sight. olympus should get out of cameras all together and become a 3rd party lens manufacturer with a focus on making good video lenses for panasonic.
>>
>>3125203
ps
apsc is pretty much the same size as 35mm cine
>>
>>3124862
>The fact that Canon's awb is slightly more tinted toward green and yellow really put people off.
you must've meant Nikon's
Canon is supposedly magenta tinted
>>
File: DSC03273-2.jpg (371KB, 1141x739px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03273-2.jpg
371KB, 1141x739px
>>3124769
List by camera popularity in Vietnam from my personal observation:

Canon & Sony are top two brands, can't really tell which is more popular. There's probably more Canon users due to used camera market but a lot of those previous Canon owner switched to Sony.

Nikon

Fuji

Pentax

35mm films

Drones

Medium format films

Half films

NobodyfuckinguseM43

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.10.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:08:02 03:27:02
Exposure Time1/100 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Brightness-0.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3125197
Except Kodak crashed because people stopped printing - the disruptive technology they were facing was online sharing, not relatively small differences in sensor performance in extreme conditions.
>>
>>3125203
Olly and Panna should get together to make a Mirrorless FF. They proved they can build a massive system from the ground up together, they can do it again.

Sony is doing whatever the fuck they want because they have no competition.
>>
File: DSCF3156 - Copy.jpg (243KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3156 - Copy.jpg
243KB, 1500x1000px
Why do you guys hate M43s so much? The PEN F was great to use for stills and the Panasonics are class-leading for video.
It's a shame the olympus menus are sony-tier shit but after initial set-up I was damn happy with the results.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro2
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:03:19 12:22:10
Exposure Time1/210 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness5.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationUnknown
Flash ModeUnknown
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeProgram AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>3125233
>List by camera popularity in Vietnam
who gives a shit
>>
>>3125266
>Why do you guys hate M43s so much?
it's just a couple spammers. otherwise, it's mostly ignored discussion-wise outside of Panasonic's video, and the m43 users here don't autistically shill for it like Sonycucks
>>
>>3125271
The Vietnamese make up 12% of the camera market. You can use that data to analyze the rest of the world.
>>
>>3125271
>butthurt m43 fag detected
>>
>>3125274
not really

e.g., Volkswagen was the top carmaker in the world in 2016, but you wouldn't know that looking at American auto sales
>>
>>3125274
I heard one should never volunteer to photograph a Vietnamese formal event (wedding, funeral, graduation, etc.) because of the sheer amount of photographs of various combinations of people and their aunts one ends up taking. Supposedly due to some particular quirk of Vietnam (could be the communist rule? tankies being what they are.) the people regard documentary photography as some kind of measuring stick of things being real.

Does this have something to do with that? 12% seems very high per capita, for essentially a single-party second-and-a-half-world south-east asian country. (i.e. gooks.)
>>
>>3125405
>I heard one should never volunteer to photograph a Vietnamese formal event (wedding, funeral, graduation, etc.)

Where the fuck did you hear this? that may be half true in the 90s but totally wrong in present day. Shooting formal events are the most profitable shit in /p/ business here. Since wedding tends to be concentrated in summer and October/Nov due to some culture superstition and it overlap with summer graduation so it's not rare for photographers to get multiple contracts per day and make huge amount of money during those months, enough to live comfortably for the rest of the year.
>>
>>3125415
I said volunteer. As in, "that guy with a camera". For $0. Seems obvious, but moreso about Vietnam, supposedly. I can certainly imagine pros making a figurative killing during the on season in a country such as that.
>>
>>3125436
One should never volunteer to photograph anything in any country. What the fuck does vietnam have anything to do with it.
>>
>>3125436
>buy a pen f
>no one tries to get me to take photos of their weddings for free because I don't have a big black SLR

feels good man
>>
>>3125446
why buy a Pen F when you can get a GX85 for half the price? is 4 extra megapixels worth $600
>>
File: .jpg (300KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
300KB, 1000x667px
>>3124753
Only the EM1 MK2 has good AF. Everything else is dogshit. Panny refuses to make ANY cams with good AF. The only purpose in buying m4/3 is to buy the super tiny entry level crud for muh minimal, some midrange panny cam for muh vlog, or the two flagship cams - EM1 MK2 for photog and GH5 for vid.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:21 12:41:32
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness0.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3125508
>EM1 MK2 for photog
i get the appeal of the GH5 for videographers, but why would anyone spend $2k on a mft camera when you can get good full frame cameras at that price?
>>
As a m43 owner I love these threads. Thanks to soft-penised Sony shills, we m43 fans now have places to talk about our cool little cameras.
>>
>>3125233
why is sony popular ? i don't get it
>>
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/02/23/mirrorless-battle-micro-43-vs-aps-c-vs-full-frame/
>>
>>3125673
>blogshit shill from 2015
kys
>>
>>3125693
Let the triggering begin!
>>
>>3125458
I hate to say it but aesthetics. PEN F is absolutely sexy as hell. Does Panasonic have less mind-numbing menus? I may get a GX85 for my GF.
>>
>>3125708
i've never tried an Oly menu, but after 10 minutes or so it was a breeze to navigate my G85
>>
>>3125658
compact teles, IBIS, and cheap burst. not going to do the equivalency thing since m4/3 is worse and the sensors are already hitting their limits in terms of design.
>>
Is it just me, or are Only eyecups made out of fucking metal? That's what it feels like when I put the viewfinder up to my eye.

Are Pany eyecups any better?
>>
Mft is for trannies and lgbtq people
>>
>>3124910
>praised for their video capabilities
>video

This is a photography board GTFO meme4/3 user
>>
>>3125508
In terms of usability, ergonomics and features, panasonics base level cam, the G85 is beating the shit out of the a6500. the a6500 cant even take fucking timelapses and doesn't use the touchscreen in menus. How pathetic is that?
The only wins that the a6500 reliably gets over panasonic are sensor size (and related issues) and autofocus. I have seen this in reviews and comparisons both advocating for the a6500 and the G85. Even the shillblogs have to admit that Sony develops key features for their cameras around once in an eon.
People here are too fucking dumb to realize a camera is more than its sensor. You'd know if you actually went out and took photos rather than pixelpeep and gearfag all day long
Pick up a super cheap Panasonic or Olympus lens and you will feel a plastic yet solid quality for less than 300 bucks. Pick up the cheapest lenses from Canon or Nikon and they feel like they're about to fall apart. I've even seen kit lenses that have no focus-ring. You have to turn the front element. WTF?
>>
>>3125932
g85 eyecup is pretty good, but i've read complaints about the one on the gx85 being too small
>>
>>3126806
Nobody's talking about Sony. The G85 like every Panny camera has atrocious AF. Only good good for 4K vid.
>>
fuck m43 and its shitty depth of field
>>
>>3124753
>Marketed towards women

My god, why is everyone so fucking sexist on here. It's hilarious, pathetic, and alarming all at once.
>>
>>3127128
How so?
>>
File: 1200px-Nikon_EM.jpg (122KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Nikon_EM.jpg
122KB, 1200x899px
>>3127158
not a new thing. pic related, nikon's early attempt at marketing a SLR towards women (compact, lightweight as it was made of plastic). i've got one. i've also got some MFT gear so what do i know
>>
>>3124753
Fuji is terrible and ugly though.
>>
>>3124753
Its not dead... its the best selling ICL cameras right now dude
>>
>>3127128
bokehfags are cancer
>>
>>3127165
F2.8 = F5.6 35mm equivalent
>>
>>3125932
>Only
>Pany
Are you a 60yo woman? Holy fuck.
>>
>>3127619
idiot

the amount of light picked up by the sensor may be different, but an f2.8 lens is an f2.8 lens regardless of system and lets in the same amount of light
>>
>>3127634
do you even know what the "relative" in "relative aperture" means
>>
>>3127634
>the amount of light picked up by the sensor may be different
Well, of course, and that's exactly what matters here, the amount of light being captured and turned into an actual photo. Are you also going to say a shitty smartphone camera with f2 is going to produce the exact same picture as a MF camera with f2? The same depth of field too?

Read on equivalent apertures.
>>
File: DSC04792.jpg (313KB, 1201x799px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04792.jpg
313KB, 1201x799px
I like my Olympus :3

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-5000
Camera SoftwareILCE-5000 v1.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2017:08:08 15:45:35
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Brightness-2.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Red-Eye Reduce, Return Not Detected
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width5456
Image Height3632
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3127619
And? The only f/2.8 lens I have for my m43 is a macro lens. (well I do have a shitty 14-42 f/3.5-f/5.6 but that is a pancake and would only be used for like travel anyway).

Having that super shallow DoF isn't needed like 99% of the time and if it is, I have 3 lenses that can do that with no problem. Hell having too shallow a DoF is more of a pain in the ass than having more DoF
>>
There are other factors than [your most important factor] which people base their purchasing decisions on
>>
>>3129709
I really wanted to like the E-M10.2, but found it much too cramped and uncomfortable for my large hands. The viewfinder also had zero cushioning and hurt to press my eyes against.

Are there any Olympus cameras or M43 cameras that remedy those issues?
>>
>>3129762
There's a grip you can get for it, but I like the small size (it's a bit cramped, but not overly so). I've not had any problems with the comfort of the viewfinder
>>
>>3129762
E-M5 with optional grip, G85, maybe GX8 if you don't insist on SLR-like viewfinder position
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.