[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick question, just changed bodies from a 40D to a 7D and noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_7144.jpg (358KB, 1411x941px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7144.jpg
358KB, 1411x941px
Quick question, just changed bodies from a 40D to a 7D and noticed a dramatic color shift moving oranges/browns towards yellow, """""wood""""" in particular seems yellower than irl. Is this just due to a different IR filter or something? I can mimic the 40D with hue sliders in LR but it's bugging me a lot that I should have to.

40D left, 7D right in pic.
All camera settings, Lightroom settings and equipment are identical but white balance, which is corrected on 80% gray for each camera. With identical white balance, the 7D is even more yellow.

tl;dr Problem or shut up and shoot?
>>
just go shoot dude.
>>
Every camera is a bit different, you're shooting raw right? Adjust accordingly and save some new templates. Good luck and congrats on your upgrade.
>>
>>3122733
shoot RAW you fucking retarded ass JPEG fag
>>
File: white-balance-shift.jpg (83KB, 600x415px) Image search: [Google]
white-balance-shift.jpg
83KB, 600x415px
>>3122733
use WB shift if you're noticing consistently off white balance

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot S100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4000
Image Height2664
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2013:05:27 22:38:06
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length10.78 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height415
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: IMG_0168.jpg (325KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0168.jpg
325KB, 1100x733px
>>3122740
>>3122755
>>3122779
I am shooting raw.

It's not white balance causing this because
1: it only appears visible in brown and orange things (so far) and
2: It can't be corrected away with white balance sliders without obviously distorting true white.

I even said I corrected white balance to 80% gray for each camera in OP, meaning:
- I established a white balance preset using a dropper on 80% gray to use with photos taken on the 40D and
- I established a different white balance preset using a dropper on 80% gray to use with photos taken on the 7D.

It's raw so there's no permanent white balance in the images. It can't be correct white balance and also be off, therefore the image is being captured differently on each camera.

I think I asked too much of /p/, sorry guys.

Sorry. Back to shitposting.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.4.1
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:07:29 11:33:45
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Subject Distance1.39 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length200.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_0168-2.jpg (319KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0168-2.jpg
319KB, 1100x733px
Above is "correct" white balance and hue for the 7D, this is falsely adjusted to match output from the 40D.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.4.1
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:07:29 11:38:47
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Subject Distance1.39 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length200.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3122987
So make a hue adjustment to whatever colour channels look off to you, make an import preset and you're back to normal, no?
>>
>>3122997
Yes.
>>
>>3122987
>>3122991
i imagine the cfa's on different sensors/sensor implementations will produce different color responses on the pixels, which may be what you're seeing

i've tried reading up on this (varying color response of cfa's) on the internet, but found pretty much nothing. it's either people talking about sooc jpegs, or "just fix it in post" (like most of the responses here)

perhaps relatedly, dxomark has a color response tab on their measurements. i'm not entirely sure how to read it, but maybe you might find it interesting.
>>
Hey OP, maybe you are using a different picture style on the 7D or it has a different default.
You can change the picture style at the bottom of settings in LR. It won't affect WB at all.
Picture style 'neutral' has a yellow cast compared to 'faithful'.
>>
File: fucken-charts.png (80KB, 1226x1294px) Image search: [Google]
fucken-charts.png
80KB, 1226x1294px
>>3123022
A great thought, and when I tried just now it certainly looked like a big difference in the preview, but I'm using raw so the color settings the camera applies to the jpg thumbnails are not carried over in raw. One image shot "neutral" and one shot "faithful" look identical as raw in LR.

>>3123001
Wish I knew what I was looking at too, but at least there's some quantified difference represented here. I'm surprised there's so big a difference, the sensor in the 40D is the same one they put in the lowly Rebel of the time. The 7D, supposedly being a higher-tier replacement for the old (good) XXD is as far below the 40D as the 40D is below the big boy 5D. Whatever that means.

Canon really shit the bed on prosumer after the 40D. The 50D, 60D, 70D and 7D are devolving shit and the 80D and 7DII scrape by only with a decade's worth of advanced technology wedged in at a price 30% too high.

I shoulda bought a 5D.
>>
>>3123032
the color response tab (different from color sensitivity) doesn't show up in their comparison mode, actually. you have to go to their individual product page to see it.

there's also a full cs tab, which also confuses me somewhat.
>>
File: IMG_9866.jpg (395KB, 1080x725px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9866.jpg
395KB, 1080x725px
>>3123032
Talk for yourself, I purchased a second hand 60d recently and it give me no more than pleasure. It is true that a metal body would have been better, but for the low price and performance it gives me, I'm more than satisfied. Also used some friends 70d and they are also good, might thest some uni classmate 7d someday to see if it's that of a big change. But for now it's been the best camera I handled besides the 6d imo

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 60D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 Windows
PhotographerValentin Jacobo_@valejacobo
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017-07-07T20:13:06-03:00
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length53.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1080
Image Height725
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.