[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been taking pictures for about 2 years. I use a Nikon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0890.jpg (332KB, 1334x876px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0890.jpg
332KB, 1334x876px
I've been taking pictures for about 2 years. I use a Nikon d3200 with the default lens and I know it very well. No matter what my photos always seem to look boring and flat. Pic related is after fucking with the curves in photoshop. Am I just bad at photography?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1334
Image Height876
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3121520
this photo was taken in unflattering light. typically you want to aim for the "magic hours" at sunset and sunrise, or at least have some interesting clouds in the sky
if you want contrast you need to shoot in contrasty lighting (shadows). but usually around midday, the shadows are too dark to fit within the dynamic range of the picture
don't even worry about editing riht now if this picture is typical. you need to study light
>>
>>3121520
This is a bit boring. Ligh & sky weren't perfect, doesn't have extreme high res to see details, its not a sweeping ultrawide or panorama shot, and your post is not quite strong enough.
>>
>>3121532
If I wanted to learn more about light how would I go about it
>>
File: google first page.png (1MB, 1449x687px) Image search: [Google]
google first page.png
1MB, 1449x687px
>>3121520
apart from the boring light the composition is also not very well executed. see the sky offers not much, the landscape is definitely the more interesting thing so you should not balance them 50:50 but give the land more space. place the horizon one third from top for example.

just take the first google page for example. notice how the shots balance the exciting areas: if the sky is nice, show more sky, if the landscape reflects perfectly in some lake, balance them 50:50 etc.
>>
Horizon in the middle of the frame also doesn't look great, look up the rule of thirds. I feel like you're trolling me with your post btw.
>>
>>3121520
Composition aside (I'd have picked the buttress as the main subject), the big problem is colour. Work on your hsl and correction game. If nothing else in the scene is working you can at least get the ambiance right.
>>
>>3121536
David Prakel has a book on lighting that photogs and cinematographers recommend. I picked it up in film school and never gave it back to the library because I liked it so much
>>
>>3121552
I'm not trolling, I'm actually just trying to learn
>>
>>3121552
This.
>>
Buy a good prime lens and leave landscapes to film desu
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.