[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the practicality of making your own lens from sc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 1457229923558.jpg (35KB, 550x325px) Image search: [Google]
1457229923558.jpg
35KB, 550x325px
What's the practicality of making your own lens from scratch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCwlGZNd3I
>>
>that stupid fucking petzval effect
>Muh meme bokeh
>Muh shitty vintage look
>Muh manual focus

What a horrible fucking lens
>>
>>3119618
this is really fucking cool
>>
Sounds like fun project for an afternoon. You'd get mad props if you were an old creep though because you'd bee seen as a misunderstood artist.
>>
>>3119618
that's kinda dumb, just buy a fucking vintage lens for like 30-100 bucks
>>
>>3119618
Well it's probably fun and if you're good at it you can probably make a specialized lens that fits your needs.
>>
>>3119618
Althought that video was pretty cool, the guy seemed to:

- Have the right tools
- Have the experience
- Have the fucking money/time

In other words, no, it's absolutely not practical.
>>
>>3119618
>practicality
None
But fun and a feeling of accomplishment is what it is all about. One of my hobbies has been telescope making. I have ground three mirrors, and helped make an 8" triplet refractor. Looking through those scopes is way better that astore bought one any time. He did use machines though for the optics, but camera optics do not need to be as precise as astronomical ones do.
>>
I keep reading this thread as "the practicality of scratching your own lens"
>>
>>3120210
do you know any good recourses for calculating what the focal length, and flange distance would be? I'm planning on making a few schematics out of interest.
>>
>>3119940
Extra points if you're homeless and just taking creepshots for you to jerk off to later
>>
>>3120229
Not him but are you talking mirrors or lenses?

With lenses it just depends on the refractive index and the curvature.
We learned that shit in highschool.

With a simple lens design the flange distance will be the focal length (well, minus half the thickness of the lens I guess)
ie: it will focus at infinity then you hold it one focal length from the sensor.
>>
>>3120222
BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3120229
Edmunds Scientific has several good books on optics, and how to make them. The book All About Telescopes is in its millionth printing. An exaggeration but not too far off, just hit their website for optical principles, and for making them.
>>
>>3119618
It's practical to take a very fast lens from a projector and alter it to fit on a regular camera. Building one from scratch? ehhh.

You can do a lot of cool stuff with all the little gadgets they have these days. With a bit of research you could probably grind out your own f/1 lens, but it wouldn't be very sharp.
>>
>>3120885
why stop at f1

why not f.7
or f.5.. ot even f.2

who says I can't make a 1 foot front element
>>
>>3120889
This seems like a fun idea. The f number is defined as the focal distance over the entrance pupil. The bigma 50-500mm lens takes a 95mm filter. With a front element that size, you should be able to make a 50mm prime lens with f/(50รท95) = f/0.53.

I'm probably misunderstanding something, but that sounds like a fun lens.
>>
>>3120210
You've made your own telescopes? That's dope. How do I get started with that? Is there somewhere I mail specs to or something?
>>
File: lensformandpower.png (36KB, 388x309px) Image search: [Google]
lensformandpower.png
36KB, 388x309px
>>3123011
That is assuming a bigma front element is thick enough to be cut down to 50mm
50mm (=20D) needs quite a strong curve.
>>
>>3123024
How thick does it need to be?
Or actually, what do I need to know to be able to compute how thick it needs to be?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (384KB, 1095x730px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
384KB, 1095x730px
>>3119618
Miyazaki dono in grorious nipon makes some neat stuff in his basement. Makes shekels too.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1268
Image Height848
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:19 15:47:50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1095
Image Height730
>>
>>3123962
JCH sells those right? Stupid expensive too?
>>
>>3123015
Here is where >>3120672
. It has all of the formulae to make telescopes of all flavors, and is easy to understand. There are tons of telescope material suppliers as well. A 6 inch f/8 or better is an easy way to start since they are spherical mirrors, anything below f/8 starts requiring correction to get good results. Refractor objectives are not even beginner lenses, especially if you go with two, or more. Then you are dealing with 6 sides to work with, and then there is spacing as well. The worst part of the whole thing is the testing, and building the test equipment.
Like I said in my first post I would not want to make a camera lens. Mainly because I am so anal, and would go with more than 3 elements for the best optics I could get.
>>
File: OP-kbclens-S-800w.jpg (32KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
OP-kbclens-S-800w.jpg
32KB, 800x600px
There's got to be some place you can send a CAD file to and get a lens back, right?
>>
>>3125869

China
>>
>>3123962
Nips are crazy workaholics though. Also
>previous job designing telescopes for a famous Japanese toymaker
probably helps
>>
>>3119618
Prototyping lenses.
Making some strange, but very cool effects.
This is way cooler than any post editing.
>>
File: Screenshot_25.png (799KB, 1093x786px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_25.png
799KB, 1093x786px
r8 my lens design
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.