[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Canon a meme? Their sensors are old enough that Ansel Adams

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0035.jpg (88KB, 900x633px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
88KB, 900x633px
Is Canon a meme? Their sensors are old enough that Ansel Adams would be able to use them if he were still around and they cost a fortune.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height633
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3112964
Sensors aren't everything. They have some of the best lenses out there and the best dslr video af.
>>
>>3112964
Canon and Sony are the only people that make their own sensors. Canon's sensors are better by every metric then Sony's
Canon makes new sensors every year. They just put their older ones in the cheap cameras.
Canon's don't cost a fortune. A 7D is the same price as a Panasonic GH4. A 5D is cheaper then a Leica m10, a 1D is a quarter the price of a hasselblad
>>
>>3112972
Fuji and Sigma and Panasonic also make their own sensors. Leica, Hasselblad and Phase have their sensors made bespoke (exclusive to the system), and though Sony builds the Nikon sensors, they are sort of made to measure for the higher tier cameras (microlenses are slightly different that what you get in other systems though the sensor itself may be the same).
Canon and SoNikon have been in a ISO pissing match for years and both make shit sensors with shit colour. They both also produce pretty meh video, Arri and Red are still the only way to be taken seriously there.
>>
>>3112972
>Canon's sensors are better by every metric than Sony's

Have you ever tried to lift shadows from a Canon image?
>>
>>3112968
what use is a good lens if theres nothing to properly capture the resulting image behind the lens?
>>
>>3113025
Have you ever tried to expose correctly?
>>
>>3113023

>Fuji make their own sensors

Nope, Sony makes them for Fuji.

They take old sensors and slap the special snowflake x-trans on them.
>>
>>3113023
Fuji sensors are made by sony
Panasonic do nothing larger than m43
Habblesad and phase one both have sensors made by Sony
Some leicas use a sony sensor, like the leica t.
The versions of sensors that sony sell to nikon are gimped, no bsi, no stacked sensor.

Pliz no spread ignorance frend

>shit colour
Doesn't take 10 minutes to calibrate a camera senpai.

>>3113117
>Photos only look good when the camera decides on the contrast
Lol, dumb cuck doesn't even know how to photo.
>>
>>3113119
>>Photos only look good when the camera decides on the contrast
>Lol, dumb cuck doesn't even know how to photo.
Doesn't even make any sense.

Making a photograph includes exposing correctly, and correct exposure means you don't have to rape it in post processing.
>>
>>3113121
>Exposing correctly
Lmfao.
>Raising exposure is rape
GirlsLaughing.jpeg

Iso 1600 is perfectly clean on sony ff, that means if I shoot iso 100 I can push the shadows 4 stops with no worries.

Canon has no iso invariable sensor, so pushing shadows is a whole lot of fail.

Making the image you want is all about versatility, the more you can adjust contrast, the more versatility you have.

Just to seal the deal on how wrong you are, take the same photo twice, one sooc jpeg on canon, one on large format negative film, notice how the shadows are much brighter and highlights much softer on the film shot, which one has the "correct" exposure.
>>
>>3113127
So you're one of those "I'll fix it in post" snapshitters who don't really know what they're doing. I don't even own a canon, I never said anything about shooting ooc jpg on automodes. But having to raise shadows 4 stops means YOU FAILED.
>>
>>3113131
But the film shot shadows are at +4 in comparison.

Comon buddy, engage that brain.
>>
>>3113144
If you exposed correctly the shadows and highlights would look the same on film and digital. YOU FAILED AT PHOTOGRAPHY, PLEASE STOP
>>
>>3112964
>Their sensors are old enough that Ansel Adams would be able to use them if he were still around
but if he was still around wouldn't he be able to use any sensor currently available?
>>
>>3112964
At this point photography itself is a meme.
>>
>>3112964
do you people have the cognitive abilities of a dead sea urchin or why is it that you cannot express your own thoughts without using the word meme? Jesus Christ this generation is doomed
>>
>>3113023
I thought Foveon contracted a third party to make their X3s
>>
>>3113119
>Panasonic do nothing larger than m43

Not in their cameras, but the make larger sensors.
>>
>>3113151
Really makes you think
>>
>>3113119
Didn't Nikon switch to Toshiba sensors for the d5 and d500?

Odd that even with all those advantages Nikon still outperform Sony on dr and iso.
>>
>>3113119
>Fuji sensors are made by sony
they only recently gave up on camera sensors, they did make the Supper CCD and still make sensors for specialized imagining applications like medical equipment.
>Panasonic do nothing larger than m43
like >>3113474 said
>Habblesad and phase one both have sensors made by Sony
only in their low end Pentax killers
>Some leicas use a sony sensor, like the leica t.
yes in their low end system which is likely a sony alpha in a hand polished aluminum body
>The versions of sensors that sony sell to nikon are gimped, no bsi, no stacked sensor.
and somehow out perform Canon, Sony and Pentax
>>
>>3113025
>Have you ever tried to lift shadows from a Canon image?
Have you ever tried this with a 1DX2, 5D4, or 80D?
>>
>>3113479
Sony outdo nikon on shadow raising rather than raw dr/iso performance, learn to read dxo charts properly.

Personally I'd rather my shadows were cleaner than slightly better performance at silly high iso.
>>3113561
Plz quantify outperform
>>
>>3113111
https://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/here-are-the-cameras-that-won-world-press-photo-2016/

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:02:19 13:20:16
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width539
Image Height549
>>
>>3112972
>Canon's sensors are better by every metric then Sony's
>>
>>3113732
enjoy your banding

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/27/uh-oh-sony-a9-banding-issue-report-surfaces/
>>
>>3113765

>MUH BANDING
>it is actually flickering lights

TOP KEK
>>
>>3113149
you really don't understand how to use your tools to maximize dynamic range do you

I'm sorry you're retarded
>>
>>3113765
That's not banding.

Every time with sony

>sonys all corrode
Actually a dude dropped his camera in the sea and he threw a hissy fit when stupidity wasn't covered by warranty.

>sonys overheat
This has been fixed, the only way to overheat one now is by shooting long scenes with a codec that body was never designed to support, but sony released anyway because they're good guys and you're a grown adult.

>the 70-200 gm is massively oof in the corners
The saddest thing about this is some of you thought that a £2500 lens would consistently be oof on one side, how dumb are you?

>banding
No, that's just how led lights work.

Y'all so desperate for a reason not to switch.
>>
>>3113895

It's strange that you're so desperate for everyone TO switch. You must be a lonely fucking dude, or one of those fuckwit morons always in search of a new epiphany. Hopefully you'll find a suicide cult my man.
>>
>>3113152

actually lol'd then I got sad
>>
>>3113479
>>3113714
fucking hell...

COMPANIES do not "out do" each other on DR. Specific sensors do. And I mean specific. It may appear to the consumer that two bodies share the same sensor, but there can be differences in the chip that mean the DR varies.

Nikon has the best DR of any sensor in the D810 (14.8ev). Meanwhile their D5 (12.3) has less DR than any recent Canon including the crop 80D (13.2). It's even lower than some Canon bodies that use the older off-chip ADC architecture such as the 5Ds (12.4).

The Nikon Df is another example of a Nikon sensor that is at the low end of DR.

Canon's recent releases are in the 13ev range with the 5D4 hitting 13.6ev (better than the A9 and A7S2). Just about all Sony's are in that range as well. There are four Sony models and ten Nikon models that hit or exceed 14ev DR.

ADC architecture is a big factor but NOT the only factor. And while much is being made of a trade off between low ISO DR and high ISO noise, I don't see it in test files. Using the D5 as an example (again), the high ISO is hardly better than a 1DX II yet the 1DX II murders it on low ISO DR.

>>3113714
>Sony outdo nikon on shadow raising rather than raw dr/iso performance, learn to read dxo charts properly.
"Shadow raising" is effectively DR. And the D810 hits 14.8ev while the best Sony could do was 14.3 with on model from 2012.
>>
>>3113895
>Actually a dude dropped his camera in the sea and he threw a hissy fit when stupidity wasn't covered by warranty.
Multiple reports of Sony's failing with mild weather exposure. Body tear downs show consumer class sealing vs. the sealing you find on Canon or Nikon.

>>sonys overheat
>This has been fixed,
KEK

>The saddest thing about this is some of you thought that a £2500 lens would consistently be oof on one side, how dumb are you?
What are you talking about? A 70-200 at that price should be perfect corner to corner. Canon's 70-200 models all are.
>>
nikon fucking sucks

they have so few lenses compared to canon and they're all expensive as hell

F*CK nikon
>>
>>3113149
>I haven't gone out to shoot enough times to know sometimes I have to choose between shadows and highlights
>>
>>3112972
>canon sensors are the better in every way
i bought a 5d4 after 9 years of putting up with the shitty obvious colour noise pattern and banding. Alas, even now, shadow and highlight banding.

now i have a d800, cheaper than 5d4, more mega pickles, don't even need 36 but i got em if i ever do, still has better colour noise and a more useable output. i don't shoot studio, my lighting is never controlled, couldn't even push 1 stop in shadows still i got red and blue noise patches

so other than the fact that it has a neutral output, what other ways is it better in? you literally just go on with excuses about how one should learn exposing better in camera to cover up the shitty sensors from canon
>>
>>3114498
>couldn't even push 1 stop in shadows still i got red and blue noise patches
You're lying. Every reviewer on the planet has talked about how the 5D4 delivers DR/shadow push comparable to Sony sensors.
>>
>>3114256
>shadow raising is dr

No senpai, don't post a multi paragraph post and finish it off with proof of ignorance.

>sensor specs are iust down to the raw sensor
No, Companies do finetune sensors for a balance that they're happy with. Not only are similar spec sensors cut from the same wafer, ff and apsc sensors will be cut from one wafer.

>I can read dxo
A little knowledge is a quick way to make a fool of yourself.

>>3114260
>multiple reports of failing sonys
1. Citation required
2. If it was a corrosion issue like sea cuck cries about, we would see that issue more than once
3. Canikon have shit sealing

>kek
Proof that you're more interested in fanboism than the truth.

>a 70 200 should be perfect
The sony is, but it threw out shonky results on a certain websites test rig because they were using a body with a broken ibis system. People honestly believed sony were selling a lens that was oof on one side, the anti sony desperation is laughable.
>>
>>3114587
>>shadow raising is dr
>No senpai,
Yes it is.

>>sensor specs are iust down to the raw sensor
>No, Companies do finetune sensors for a balance that they're happy with. Not only are similar spec sensors cut from the same wafer, ff and apsc sensors will be cut from one wafer.
The wafer is not the issue. The sensor architecture determines noise and DR.

>A little knowledge is a quick way to make a fool of yourself.
So stop doing that fool.

>>>3114260
>>multiple reports of failing sonys
>1. Citation required
Just look at the Lens Rentals tear downs. They are not sealed to nearly the level of Canon / Nikon pro bodies.

>2. If it was a corrosion issue like sea cuck cries about, we would see that issue more than once
https://www.google.com/search?q=sony+corrision&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

>3. Canikon have shit sealing
"For those who want to take my word for it and skip on to some other blog, the Canon 7D Mk II may be the best weather-sealed camera I’ve run across."
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii/

"With full weather sealing throughout the camera, this camera just feels more robust that the smaller systems developed by Canon. While I’m always concerned when I have my Canon 5d Mark III by the windy beach, I’m not sure there is anything, aside from maybe a monsoon, that could make me concerned if this camera can hold up."
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/05/lensrentals-reviews-the-canon-1dx-mark-ii/
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.