[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any experience legally getting access to industrial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: Combine Pipes copy.jpg (792KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Combine Pipes copy.jpg
792KB, 1500x1000px
Anyone have any experience legally getting access to industrial locations such as factories or junk yards?

I'm really interested in shooting at these locations but don't really know how to go about talking to/negotiating with a factory owner

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSC-RX10
Camera SoftwareCapture One 8 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:07:22 11:49:43
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness-0.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length22.40 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I've worked in two production facilities (machine shops/factories) and both of them had NDAs which prohibit photography. It's all dependent upon what the factory is making. The shops I've worked for were all aerospace places. Again, mileage may vary.
>>
>>3107015
Most of the time, the industrial place has nothing to gain from letting in random people to take pictures and potentially have a lot to lose via loss of proprietary info.
>>
>>3107041

Not to mention having some gawky fucktard with zero industrial experience (not counting the fryer at BK) wandering around an industrial site is a huge liability as far as safety is concerned.
>>
I don't think many site managers could be bothered going through the OHS/OSHA rigmarole, site inductions etc, for a dude to take some pictures.

But there's no harm in asking really, the worst they can say is no. I'd just be prepared to tell them what the purpose of the visit is (honestly), and how long to intend to be there.

I don't know if it's a thing in Western countries, but guided factory tours were really popular in Japan at one point. I visited a visited a geothermal power plant while I was over there.
>>
>>3107178
here are some OSHA training certificates one could possibly get:
https://www.osha.gov/dte/edcenters/certificate_listing.html
not to say that it would actually be any help, but maybe it would show that you're more serious about this
>>
Find the names of the companies/organisations that run them. Phone them and talk to someone in their PR department. Be polite and have a very good reason why you want to shoot in their facility.

You will need to do your research first and know all there is to publicly know about what that company does.

It is possible to get access sometimes but you will have a guide at all times who is giving up part of their busy day to chaperone you around. They will provide whatever safety equipment you need.

Over the years I have shot in factories, construction and other sites around Asia. But I was working for related business and trade magazines at the time.
>>
File: IMG_0080.jpg (348KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0080.jpg
348KB, 1440x1080px
>>3107015
you fucking break in

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX L840
Camera SoftwareCOOLPIX L840V1.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)23 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:09:02 13:36:40
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/3.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Auto
Focal Length4.00 mm
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3107825

>committing a felony for a garbage snapshot

Sweet pipes bro
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 275x275px
>>3107015
Why is this picture so cold anon?
>>
>>3107832
>a felony
no it's not
cops wont give a shit, just don't steal anything
>>
File: 20170115-DSC08342.jpg (403KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170115-DSC08342.jpg
403KB, 2048x1152px
>>3107015
Do some urbex I guess?

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.8 (Windows)
PhotographerDavid Mornet
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)20 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:01:15 20:08:10
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness1.1 EV
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length20.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3109986

Breaking and entering is definitely a felony.
>>
>>3110076
It's a crime dude. It'd be a felony if you were breaking into a federal or state owned building.
>>
>>3110104

You're wrong, homie. It goes from a misdemeanor criminal trespass to a felony the second you break or damage something to enter a property. Look it up.

Or don't. It would give me many lols if you got prison time just for trying to get some hilariously lame snapshits for "muh urbex"
>>
>>3110104
Check out the Proper People on Youtube. They never break anything when trespassing, at least they don't show it if they do.
>>
Laws vary from state to state. If you want to be anal about it either look it up or see if there's security guards or anyone.
>>
>>3107015
worth a read
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/05/found-niche-professional-photography/

>started trying to get into any kind of industrial or scientific facility I could, and soon discovered it wasn’t easy. I was calling car companies and asking if I could get into their production plants, and they were just laughing at me.

>But in the end, I got a few breaks. I photographed a small offset printing company that was owned by a friend of a friend of the family and I also managed to talk my way into CERN in Switzerland. Some of my favourite images were taken during that period of building my portfolio.
>>
>>3107192
The only one that matters is the OSHA 10.
>>
>>3107825
Wow. Color me impressed. You went into the physical plant of a hotel (or some building at your school) and it was a pretty small one too. Some big brass ones on you.
>>
>>3110111
Don't plug that shitty urbex channel please. Bryan and Michael are fucking retards.
>>
>be architect
>often have to spend days trapsing round the guts of a building taking photos like these because contractors are shit and never follow plans

It fucking sucks. Honestly though, if there's a specific building you're interested in, find out the name of the architecture practice that designed it, rock up and say 'I work at *practice* I've been sent to take a look around' and most places will let you wander round.
>>
>>3107015
I hate to break it to you, OP, but the Bechers and Struth have already taken a million industrial and factory photos that will *always* be better than anything you will ever hope to do. Just give up on this silly dream and try something else.
>>
>>3110572
This actually isn't bad advice. If you ask, then the answer will be no. If you show up like you're supposed to be there and act like you know what the fuck you're doing, most people will ignore you.
>>
>>3110581
>You can only take photos of stuff nobody else ever has, especially if you want any hope of enjoying taking pictures, and even moreso if you ever want to sell a print.

Grow up, edgelord.
>>
>>3110581
They didn't take a single "industrial" photograph. The building isn't what's inside retard.
>>
Find abandoned ones and just trespass. That's what I do and if I weren't off wifi I'd post a few pics. Abandoned factories are fun to shoot, I spent 3 hours last time I was in one.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.