[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is 50 mm considered the popular standard? Like I understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: TS560x560[1].jpg (78KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
TS560x560[1].jpg
78KB, 560x420px
Why is 50 mm considered the popular standard?

Like I understand why 35 mm is great.

>only 8 mm wider than ideal focal length
>won't really distort images
>has larger focal zones than 50 mm (ie a 35 mm will have a greater DoF at any given f stop than a 50 mm will have, which means that 35 mm will be easier to manually focus (he uses auto focus lenses what a faggot))
>you can take photos with a 35 mm at like 1/30 or 1/40 s where as you need to take photos on a 50 mm at at least 1/50 s.
>usually easier to move closer than to move farther away
>can crop from a 35 to a 50 but cant the other way around
>35 not only shows the subject, it shows the stuff around it. Makes it great for journalism
>35 mm is smaller on a range finder. Range finders are cooler.

So why is 50 the standard?

Also did photojournalists use range finders or slrs in general? I really wish there was a pancake 35mm lens for m43 the way the fuji X100 series has those sweet lenses for their range finders.
>>
>>3103716
Because it's the easiest to make good, which made it cheap and available, which made it popular, and people got used to it.
>>
>>3103720
/thread
>>
Take a full frame or 35mm film camera with a lens that's in the 50 to 55mm range and put it up to your eye. Chances are that the magnification and field of view are very similar to that of your eyesight, and that you'd be able to walk around with one eye open and another looking through the camera with relative ease when compared to something wider such as a 35mm ,or longer such as an 85. That's the reason why.
35mm is a nice focal length for sure, but the fact that 50mm is so close to what the eye sees makes it a sort of "standard".
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.