[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you take a photo like this? >A shitty party photo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: how.png (1020KB, 671x639px) Image search: [Google]
how.png
1020KB, 671x639px
How do you take a photo like this?
>A shitty party photo?

No, how did he get it to appear so crisp and bright? I'm not talking about composition here.
>>
>>3101130
speedlight
>>
>>3101133
Can you elaborate please? I'm kind of a newb
>>
>>3101134
external battery powered flash, slightly off camera to the top right or bounced on a surface in that direction (look at the shadows)

99% of all party photos are done like that
>>
>>3101134
speedlight is a hot shoe mounted flash
>>
>>3101136
>>3101135

I actually have a hot shoe mounted flash, but I'm not experienced with it. Are there any particular settings I should have it on?

Or simply point the source upwards and angle the bounce card towards the subject?
>>
>>3101137
if it can do TTL-metering you won't need to worry about anything if the op picture is the look that you're going for, it will just do that
put the flash compensation on any dial on your body and you're set
>>
>>3101139
I'm just worried about blasting people with direct light. Shouldn't I still bounce it?
>>
>>3101130
looks like about 1/30, iso 800, f5.6.
look up club/bar photography

there are some standard manual settings that people use for different effects and then just let the i-ttl on the flash do it's thing to get the exposure right.

I used to like to do 1second, f10, iso 1000 (just because they were easy to remember numbers 1s,f8,800 works about the same), with a second curtain flash to get light trails but nice in focus subjects. I would use a 28mm manual focused with the focus ring taped in place at about 1.25m. The hyperfocal point at f10 gave me about a meter and a half of DOF. So all the faces in a small group would be in focus even if they were not in the same focal plane. These settings worked great for a full frame DSLR and 35mm film. They would need to be slightly adjusted for a crop camera given the same focal length. Basically add 50% to your 1.25m mesurement (1.875m) and open the aperture by 1 stop to keep the DOF the same.

Adjust your iso to change the ambient light levels in the background till you find something pleasing and balanced with the foreground. 800-1600 works good most of the time. And then just get good at estimating how far back to stand to get your focus right and make people smile and laugh.

Works great for bars, clubs, wedding receptions. lots of keepers.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>3101154
>1/30
>1 second

Jesus that's fucking slow... Hand shake doesn't bother you?
>>
>>3101156
you never used a flash, right?
>>
>>3101156
shutter speed determines the brightness of the ambient light in the environment. The flash happens so quickly that it freezes motion including hand shake.

If you have a speed light, go experiment with it. That's the best way to learn. You never want the first time using a piece of gear to be on the spot because you won't have the knowledge of what to do if something throws you a curveball.
>>
>>3101135
This.

My guess would be on camera light bounced off the ceiling camera right.
>>
>>3101161
>>3101164
Oh shit that's mad interesting. Neato, I'm gonna try that
>>
File: common_speedlightbounce-04.jpg (74KB, 772x432px) Image search: [Google]
common_speedlightbounce-04.jpg
74KB, 772x432px
>>3101172
Yea man. Using flashes changed the way I shoot forever. There are super cheap Neewer flashes that you can get and you can start building complicated lighting setups and experimenting with backlighting, rim lighting, rembrandt lighting etc.

As for on camera speed light, this is a pretty universal setup if the walls inside arent completely black
>>
File: slow-sync-flash-3.jpg (55KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
slow-sync-flash-3.jpg
55KB, 600x400px
>>3101156
the flash lights up the subjects for a tiny fraction of a second freezing all motion. But the shutter is open long enough to get the lights in the back ground. They are out of focus and motion blurred and it doesn't matter at all.

here is a quick example from google.

I don't like that much ambient light but to each thier own
>>
>>3101184
idk man that pic looks shitty af to me
>>
>>3101184
>>3101154
also this is a good technique even if you only have a shit tier kit lens since you are shooting in the higher f stop range anyway.

18mm is 27.5-28mm equivalent on a crop camera.

So here is the run down for a crop/aps-c,
1. Set camera to Manual. 1s/f10/iso 1000
2 Set flash mode to second curtain sync (also called slow sync on some brands)
3. Tape the zoom ring to 18mm and set the focus ring to just under 2m and stand back about the same distance as you are tall.

Damn near fool proof.
>>
>>3101185
and that's absolutely ok though since documenting a party is obviously not the best spot for making some great art.
you want to do a decent job, fulfill viewers' expectations and make some people happy
>>
>>3101189
Thanks for the tips.

Any protips for shooting in a semi well lit place?
>>
>>3101190
doesn't mater if you think it's shitty.

Normies eat that shit up.

Bars pay for happy looking customers to post to their social media as advertising.

Easy money. Get paid son!

$50 for 20-30 mins.
I would do 4 or 5 bars/clubs a night on a weekend.
(I also would get tips from people, lol)
(Also got phone numbers/contact info from chicks very easily.)
>>
>>3101195
>>3101189
Or does that strat work everywhere?
>>
>>3101195
just turn down the iso to compensate.
>>
>>3101135
Yup. I would bet money on bounced speedlight. Easy to do in a club.
>>
>>3101154
Works for wedding reception venues too. I usually go ISO 500, 1/60th, wide open, and adjust my flash as needed (not TTL). It's really fucking easy.
>>
Just fyi people you don't just bounce off a ceiling or wall. That's how you get dark eyes or uneven lighting.

Grab one of these: https://www.amazon.com/StudioPRO-Flexible-Reflector-Speedlite-Speedlight/dp/B014X5MJ2E/

and bounce off that.
>>
File: Captured Society (90 of 121).jpg (3MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Captured Society (90 of 121).jpg
3MB, 6000x4000px
Club photographer here:

Run your flash wirelessly and for maximum and fastest results, run a Gary Fong diffuser, point the flash straight up, and hold it high above so it can bounce the flash low and on the subjects from above.

It's like a yoga pose

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>3101164
>>3101184
yes, but if you abuse it you end up with transparent ghost people
>>
I don't know how to react to this thread
>>
>>3101431
this looks like absolute ass
>>
i hate club photos with a passion, even before i got into /p/ they were the most disgusting thing
>>
File: Captured Society (154 of 167).jpg (3MB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Captured Society (154 of 167).jpg
3MB, 4000x4000px
>>3101578

Your comment is absolute ass how else are you supposed to photograph a club

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>3101692
Best not to try. Club photography is on the same low rung as weddings except the subjects are even more insufferable.

I'd rather starve or do trade shows than stoop that low to earn a crust
>>
>>3101692
wew shit photo mate

>>3101709
it's low, but I like to take photos from degenerate people doing alcohol and trying to have sex lol
>>
File: wew.jpg (2MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
2MB, 1800x1200px
Why hate on nightclub photography? Good way to roll into the photography world.

Plus cute girls.

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
>>3102230
>wide angle lens
>flash
>auto-mode
Because its too easy
>>
File: testshot_462202.jpg (2MB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
testshot_462202.jpg
2MB, 1620x1080px
>>3102233
I shoot in M, since I have got my hands on my first camera.
I do understand what you mean... but I don't really agree.

Will keep doing this as long as my body can take it. I love meeting new people and being flirty with girls. Also, I'm a /pol/lack so I am contradicting myself with having fun while working. Quite degenerate.

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
>>3102241
I also work with nightclub photography, and I also have fun at work watching people getting drunk lol

>>3102233
it's not that easy, you should try it. avoiding getting beer on your gear, socializing with people you never met before and make them be comfortable while you're taking their picture while they are somehow having fun
>>
>>3102241
/pol/ - /p/ represent!!!
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.