[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a graphic designer but I am thinking about becoming a photographer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1456615638487.jpg (88KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456615638487.jpg
88KB, 600x600px
I am a graphic designer but I am thinking about becoming a photographer instead.

Are photography degrees worth it?
>>
>>3091967
>are liberal arts degrees worth it?
No
>>
No, just do a diploma if anything.

Graphic design and photography go hand-in-hand and having a good idea of both will only heighten you skills in both. I started out as a graphic designer before learning photography and I can tell you that the graphic designers I've met that don't know photography are definitely not near as good as those who know both. And vice versa of course.

There is more money in graphic design than there is in photography nowadays so I don't think you should be a photographer instead, but you will be a graphic designer if you learn it.
>>
>>3091974
*a better graphic designer if you learn it
>>
>>3091967
Are you going to shoot weddings and family portraits? Then no.

Do you want to become a fine art or fashion photographer? Then you go get your degree for the networking, for the knowledge of how to present and market yourself, and for the experience with informed criticism. Not that a degree guarantees anything, though.
>>
thicc. would go to early death from snoo-snoo with
>>
>>3091969
good thing he wasn't asking about a liberal arts degree, you bitter uneducated retard
>>
>>3092220

Not that guy, but photography falls under the broad category of 'liberal arts', though you can also get that specific degree as well.

Still not worth pursuing as a degree unless you're doing it for shits and giggles. The whole networking bit is over rated too unless you're going to a very high end school.
>>
>>3091967
Stick with graphic design first. As a graphic designer, you should already have the advantage of using Photoshop and Lightroom for post-processing and compositing. And since you're on the area of arts and design, it should be easier for you to grasp the composition and framing part of photography. Just make money from graphic design first to buy the gear to make photography as a hobby and later on, the latter as an additional source of income if you want.

Well, unless you are really itching to be a full-time photographer.
>>
>>3092155
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.
>>
>>3091967
my friend is a photographer for a modelling agency, hell to the no, being a pro photographer really doesn't pay off unless you're with National Geographic
>>
>>3092281
most if not all schools I know of leave photog under "fine arts" which is distinct from liberal arts

also its not a useless degree if you have your career in mind and know what you're doing.
its only useless when you go in just because "my parents said I'm a good picture-taker lol"
>>
>>3095882
>"my parents said I'm a good picture-taker lol"

Usually it's the students who say they're a good picture taker, not their parents who are shelling out thousands a year for them to take photos
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.