[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Tfw I've been doing photography for years and just now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 1492953827837.png (10KB, 531x339px) Image search: [Google]
1492953827837.png
10KB, 531x339px
>Tfw I've been doing photography for years and just now learned how to use the histogram properly so I don't have dogshit exposure

What other beginner mistakes do you people see often?
>>
>>3091145
>What other beginner mistakes do you people see often?
People publishing photos with white halo outlines. Disgusting.
>>
I need a tutorial on how to use a histogram properly
>>
>>3091149
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAVXV4ngEmU
https://youtu.be/1tqJeAqxxcY

These videos are what I was just watching, you need to have the histogram touching both the left and the right part of the histogram in 99% of cases.
>>
>>3091145
>What other beginner mistakes do you people see often?
People spending too much time gawping at the histogram and wondering why they missed the shot.

Sometimes you've just got to follow your instinct.
>>
People thinking a histogram is necessary when you have a spot meter and just a lil self awareness
>>
>>3091150
> you need to have the histogram touching both the left and the right part of the histogram in 99% of cases.
Fake news.
>>
>>3091150
I mean, that's just some bad advice there amigo... You need to understand what a histogram is so you know what it should roughly look like depending on what you're going for. It very rarely has to touch both sides.
>>
>>3091150
That second one. I feel like an idiot.
>>
Caring more about composition than subject matter. Took me a couple of months to get over that meme
>>
Wtf are you using a histogram for? It's 2k17, we have evf's with exposure preview.
>>
I either use the exposure meter or just estimate the shutter time depending on whether my lens has electronics or not.
Or just use aperture priority.
>>
>>3091150
>you need to have the histogram touching both the left and the right part of the histogram in 99% of cases
That's not correct at all lmao
>>
>>3091383
>evf's
kek
>>
File: Nishika2.gif (473KB, 479x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nishika2.gif
473KB, 479x600px
how did they do it in the film dayz?
>>
>>3091401
>only real photographers stick to century old technology.

Lol, check out this nostalgia fag.
Please list one benefit to taking photos with an ovf compared to an evf.

>inb4 lag, your reactions are 15 times slower than the 2/100 of a second lag in a sony evf, also, you have 2 eyes, use them.

>>3091402
Polaroid backs are for chimping exposure on film.
>>
>>3091402
Bracketing just in case.
>>
>>3091168
>>3091168
>>
>>3091383
I have a Sony A6000, but unless I missed something then I don't have a EVF with exposure preview in Lightroom

>Inb4 just do it right from the start lmao

It's almost impossible to exactly be able to replicate what your eyes see without using post unless you exclusively shoot indoor with controlled lightning
>>
>>3091206
>>3091212
>>3091400
Did you even watch the first video? Of course you don't have to do it if you want your pictures to not have as much pop and constrast as they could have
>>
>>3091487
you may have switched the setting, but your evf should definitely be changing as you change iso/aperture/ss/exposure comp.

If you attach a flash, it will override the camera settings and show a "normal" brightness.
>>
>>3091488
learn to understand the histogram before you try and go all memey on it.

Real world scenarios have varying amounts of contrast, you're never going to touch both ends with your raw if you're shooting at dusk with an overcast sky, you're never going to not blow the fuck out of at least one end if you're shooting a silhouette straight into the sun.
>>
File: IMGP8006.jpg (277KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8006.jpg
277KB, 1000x662px
OK speaking of exposure I havea kreshtun for yall. Is this underexposed or overexposed?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-50
Camera SoftwareArcSoft PhotoStudio
Maximum Lens Aperturef/11.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:06:09 10:29:19
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2048
Image Height1355
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>3091811
What's the subject?
>>
>>3091488
You only want to have it touching both sides if you're in ideal conditions where you're trying to render both strong blacks and whites. There are a lot of other cases where it shouldn't do that, like if you're trying to be safe and not clip highlights, or if you're trying to expose to the right to reduce grain. I think the most common use is to make sure your histogram isnt going over the right side and getting completely blown out by accident.
>>
>>3092453
Yeah, and if you can't? Time to stoke the FIRE, say I.
>>
>>3091811
The foreground is underexposed. The background might be properly exposed except for the clouds which look overexposed.
>>
>>3092466
That dynamic range is only fuel for the FIRE, if you have the skillz
>>
>>3092485
No bro, YOU be totally on FIRE
>>
Why would you need that when you have matrix metering or even patrician spot metering?

>spot metering
>M mode
>meter subject
>meter shadow
>meter highlights
BANG, perfect exposure
>>
>>3092502
Not good enough to make FIRE
>>
>>3092502
>just metering different bits of your shot gives you a perfect exposure

Nigga, you ignorant.
>>
>>3091150
wtf that is horrible advise and the after pic look like shit.
>>
>>3092597
>and the after pic look like shit
Not really, no. Go calibrate your eyes.
>>
>>3091145
I just realized a month ago that the camera has a exposure meter
>>
>>3091415
I just upgraded to an 80d, i tried some sonys at bestbuy but i didnt like the EVF much there was a bit of delay or something so looking around almost seemed like it would make you nauseous eventually
>>
>>3094043
>bit of a delay
Should have looked outside bruh, the evf lag is 2/100ths of a second, ie imperceptible.

What I bet you saw was the evf stuttering a bit as you were inside and the ss was on a slow setting. It's a preview of what you're gonna shoot, so if the ss is 1/20, it's only going to show at most 20 fps.
>>
>>3091402
Color negative has excellent exposure latitude. You can overexpose a frame over 6 stops and it'll look nearly the same as a frame that was perfectly exposed.

One time I was shooting in low light and I didn't have a meter. I was on a tripod, so I just held the shutter for three seconds, just to be sure. It came out perfectly normal. I'll never know if that was the correct exposure or just overexposed.
>>
File: churchoflight7.jpg (491KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
churchoflight7.jpg
491KB, 667x1000px
>>3091415
Dumbass, I was suggesting that using a histogram isn't necessary. Not 'muh film is better'. Check yoself, son.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4000
Image Height6000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:07:18 22:55:21
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness1.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width667
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3091145

>histogram

Doesn't this automatically come out right on a modern camera thanks to auto metering?
>>
>>3094236
Wut?
Did you reply to the wrong comment?

You dumb nigger.
>>
>>3094225
I didnt think to try outside, was one of the tied down units so couldnt anyways. Im still not sure if i want to keep the 80d or return in and get something else. I do like the size of the 80d more, the sonys are a bit smaller so you dont get as good of a grip as you can on a dslr
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.