[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best and slightly more recent fold-able medium format

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 21229514970_dfbda8d85a_b.jpg (226KB, 1024x750px) Image search: [Google]
21229514970_dfbda8d85a_b.jpg
226KB, 1024x750px
Whats the best and slightly more recent fold-able medium format cameras?

the fuji gf670 is a bit too expensive.. The agfa isolette are pretty cheap but too old.. whats the difference?
>>
>>3080824
Monitoring this. I've seen the regular Isolette for sale virtually nothing, what exactly is wrong with it? I get focus and exposure are guesswork but that's fine if you're shooting landscapes right?
>>
>>3080887
it's a piece of shit to use, these 6x6 folding cameras have the worst handling of any cameras i've ever used.
>>
>>3080887
One thing you can't be sure of is if the bellows don't leak any light. You'd at least need to check for pinhole leaks on your own.
>>
>>3080891
>>3080890
Cheers m80s. Any suggestions on other cheap MF cameras for landscapes? I've heard good things about Seagulls.
>>
>>3080893
Yashica TLRs
>>
Seagull shutters can easily be destroyed by changing shutter speed when the shutter is cocked -at least on the TLRs. Lenses are a bit soft and prone to vignetting wide open.
>>
Agfa Isolette cameras used a type of focusing helicoid grease that dried up with age turning into very hard solid cement - dislodging them requires considerable expertise and utilising heat/solvent combos - on one model I tried restoring the brass lens housing gave way before the helicoid did. Don't buy Isolettes unless you're sure the focusing bit turns.
>>3080824
The main difference is that a lot of the 6x6 folders were budget cameras and had triplet lenses - only rendering sharply across the entire image when stopped down to f11+ (usually f16+). Combined with limited shutter speeds, vague viewfinders and slow lenses (i.e. f4.5), this makes handholding shots with'em more on the problematic side. Consider looking up a Moskva-5 as your cheap rangefinder texas leica alternative.
>>
>>3080824
You find so many of these cameras in charity shops and other odds and ends shops. They look and feel like literal dogshit.

The whole point of MF is to get dat neg, thats it, not because you want the "feel" of an old camera.

These cameras along with box brownies, holgas, kodak brownies, and a slew of other cheap consumer cameras from back in the bag are landfill tier.

If you're not some lomofag, and actually want a decent camera - consider getting a mcjob and saving for a decent MF.
>>
>>3080957
This - you can get a Mamiya 645 or RB67 kit for $150-250
>>
Not really folding but the mamiya universal is cheap as fuck and shoots 6x9 also was great for fuji peel apart.
>>
>>3080893
Mamiya Press if you like rangefinders and 6x9.
>>
File: Front_Page.jpg (27KB, 460x659px) Image search: [Google]
Front_Page.jpg
27KB, 460x659px
Get ready to pay out the ass for a super fragile and finicky camera.
>>
>>3080967
Those are xboxhueg compared to folders though
>>
>>3081500
Fuji GS645?
>>
>>3080957
I have a Mamiya press + an assortment of lenses. It's a good camera and it takes nice images, but it's fuckhueg and cumbersome to carry. It's nice but only when I go out specifically to take photos.

I also happen to have a 6x9 Super Ikonta that I can pop in my shoulder bag with ease and essentially take with me anywhere for funsie and opportunistic shots. And call me an autistic lomo hipster if you want, but I actually like the rendering of the classic Tessar lens.

Anyway, at the end of the day the best camera is the one you have with you, and if using shitty lomo hipster gear gets you to take more images, then that's the winning choice to go with in my opinion.
>>
Why do you need folding? Fuji GSW 6x9 or Mamiya & all the way.
>>
>>3081578
Secondedededed
>>
>>3081578
Mamiya 7s are even more expensive than GF670s, though. Seems like there's some cheap Fuji GSWs out there.
Those come with pretty slow lenses though.
>>
>>3080824
Does it has to have a range finder?

Those MF folding cameras are pretty cheap in Germany, 10-50 bucks all day long. Some of them have very good zeiss tessar copy on it.
>>
>>3081578
A moskva folder is like 20bux

a Fuji is 250-500 and Mamiya 7 800-1200. And while easily carryable, they do take up more space than a folder.
>>
What would be a reasonable price to pay for a Voigtländer Bessa II?
>>
>>3081648
Back when I was looking, it seemed the Bessa enjoyed some sort of meme status that is reflected in the price. For what reason, I don't know.

The only practical difference to a Ikonta or Moskva that I can recall is that it is unit instead of element focusing, which IMO does not make up for its price.
>>
>>3082308
>>Back when I was looking, it seemed the Bessa enjoyed some sort of meme status that is reflected in the price.
Well, Voigtländer is generally considered to have made the best folding cameras. Best build, best optics, etc. Plus the Bessa II has an achromatic lens, which isn't a common thing for 50s folders.
>>
Why not the Zenza Bronica ERTS?
>>
>an achromatic lens, which isn't a common thing for 50s folders.
[citation_needed]
>>
File: IMG_1473.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1473.jpg
43KB, 600x450px

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height450
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3080967
Well if you are going to go big then the Graflex Crown would be my choice.
>>
>>3083072
Also, this is not really small, but another MF folder is the Century Graphic. I had one for a bit. Not sure if you can still get 6x9 sheet film anymore, though. Maybe it could take a rollfilm back?
>>
>>3082761
He probably means apochromatic, which is a lot less common. (The Bessa II with Apo-Lanthar is ludicrously expensive though)
>>
File: isolaI.jpg (190KB, 598x425px) Image search: [Google]
isolaI.jpg
190KB, 598x425px
Also, getting into consumer junk territory, but there's the scale-focus Agfa Isola, which is 6x6

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:01:14 18:36:39
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.79 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length72.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width598
Image Height425
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3083081
At that rate you might as well get a Brownie.
>>
>>3083081
>spend loads of money on film, development, processing, printing
>spend next to nothing on a dogshit camera that is barely a step above a pinhole camera.

Why fampai?
>>
>>3083129
Ask people who buy Holgas.

I'm not forcing you to buy one, but it could be worse.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/383500398/
>>
>>3083073
Yeah that was a nice one. I am not sure either since I stopped shooting film a long time ago. I mean why?
Also checking the bellows is simple. You opne the back put a black hood over your head, and the body in bright light. Cover the lens too.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.