[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best guides/tutorials (paid or free) for improving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: ansel-adams-2-olo2v9.jpg (2MB, 2100x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ansel-adams-2-olo2v9.jpg
2MB, 2100x1400px
What are the best guides/tutorials (paid or free) for improving landscape photography?

I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and I have literally no good landscape images (though I have honestly never really tried).

I have decided that I should take advantage of the location and try to improve.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
PhotographerPeter Essick
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5595
Image Height3730
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution207 dpi
Vertical Resolution207 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2012:01:20 12:16:24
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias-1/2 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length34.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2100
Image Height1400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3078240
Put on your kit lens, get your tripod out and go shooting. If you see something, a good subject (cloud, lake, mountain, a goat fucking another goat) just shoot it. Take the photos at sunrise or sundown, never mid day.
That'll be $1000, please send immediately to paypal account
>>
research and scout a lot
wait a lot
prepare a lot (reading weather report, etc)
wait again
wait again
golden hour
bring your tripod
>>
>>3078240
>I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and I have literally no good landscape images (though I have honestly never really tried).
>though I have honestly never really tried

Wow, you literally nailed your own problem.

You're never going to take the most beautiful landscape photos from in front of your computer screen.
>>
>>3078246
Oh also, take a lot of photos
>>
>filename says ansel adams
>exif is some firstname lastname photography with a canon

Top kek
>>
>>3078259
http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/2014/06/24/a-day-to-remember-in-the-ansel-adams-wilderness/
>>
>>3078332

Wow, someone literally made a book about this very phenomenon. Really makes you think.
>>
>>3078240
>using a canon 1D for landscape photography
Truly the meme to rule them all.
>>
>>3078522
To be fair that camera is even more rugged than the 5D or D810 so I can see it being used in very harsh environments. I wonder why Cabin in don't offer their high megapixel sensors in flagship bodies anymore. I say anymore because Nikon did it once with the D3X, granted it also cost about $8k for the body alone.
>>
use large format camera and shoot landscape

cheaper than the meme cameras like a 1dx or D810
>>
>>3078687
Good LF with good lenses and constant stream of film, developing and good scanning is costly though.

And LF is such a slow format that it's hard to justify for many people.
>>
>>3078691

still cost less than a flagship dslr though. throw in a tilt shift lens and it will cost even more.
>>
>>3078703
Less than a flagship but still about as costly as a first hand d810. You got me on shift lenses though, that shit is mad expensive on full frame cameras.
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
Landscape photography is all about timing. You need to be super patient. Most people go out and since they are hiking from morning to evening they are shooting in the worst light. Want to make good landscape photos? Bring a tent and set up camp. You need that golden hour / twilight /dawn / sunrise. Shooting in the mountains at 2pm ain't going to look good ko matter how many landscape books you read.
>>
>>3080306
Again, just read the other comments.

Stop suggesting gear you gearfags. You can take incredible landscape photos on a god damn iPhone. Stop shooting in shitty light, slow down, and wait for the absolute best lighting for a particular scene. That's all you need to do.
>>
Well as I look at it, you will never just get that perfect shot easily. Most of the time it take returning to areas many times to catch it when it is dynamic. I have places I have been shooting for years that I still do not have what I think is the money shot. Since you used Adams he said that if you get 15 good photos a year that is a good crop. The man literally wasted miles of film to get what he was looking for. At least with digital all you are spending is time.
>>
>>3078240
alexburkephoto. com/ebooks
>>
>>3078240

play pretend long enough and you might end up a savante
>>
>>3078244
I like the idea of a majestic landscape scene with two goats fucking in the foreground. That's a whole photoseries right there.
>>
>>3080306
I've taken some good landscapes at 2pm but the point is still valid. Generally speaking it's all about the light/sky. Patience is required almost as much as with wildlife.
>>
>>3080306
>midday has no good light
Maybe if you dont know how to work with shadowplay you pathetic kitsch-fag
>>
>>3080620
>he thinks "muh abstract shadows" are not kitsche as fuck
Must be summer.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.