[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canon rangefinder bros, are you here? My Leica M4's shutter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: CanonP2.jpg (1MB, 3000x1987px) Image search: [Google]
CanonP2.jpg
1MB, 3000x1987px
Canon rangefinder bros, are you here? My Leica M4's shutter shat the bed and will cost me too much in repairs to bother with for a while. But I have a Canon 50/1.8 that needs a body now. Is the P the only way to go, or is the 7 reliable? The 7's viewfinder looks huge, like the Cosina Zeiss Ikon.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern854
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:02:09 19:26:12
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Detected
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3071127
7 is a bargain as long as you don't need a flash.
>bros
kys
g e a r t h r e a d
>>
>>3071131
Well, that was half of a useful post.
>>
>>3071131
>g e a r t h r e a d
the whole board is a gearthread for this question. this is a film board.
>>
Ordered a P. They're pretty cheap these days. I had one some years back, but I sold it because it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Right now I just need something LTM and solid, so, fingers crossed.
>>
File: DSC05551-BessaR-Canon35-2-a.jpg (186KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05551-BessaR-Canon35-2-a.jpg
186KB, 1067x800px
>>3071687

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelNEX-3
Camera SoftwareImage Data Converter SR
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:10:23 18:22:16
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/1.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Brightness-2.9 EV
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1067
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3071687
what lenses are you putting in it?
>>
>>3071703
Canon 50/1.8, and maybe the 35/1.8 soon. I have a collapsible Industar 50/3.5, but I'm always shooting indoors in window light so it's not the most useful.
>>
I have a VI-L which is the big brother to the P and it's the only rangefinder I own. It's a solid camera and feels good in the hand and is really beautiful. The rangefinder patch is dim though and can be hard to read though even after having it cleaned. I have the 50 1.4 and the focus can be problematic when close focusing because your fingers go up by the viewfinder. I have an external meter for when I shoot with it but like most people I'm used to having the meter in the camera. Overall I like it but ultimately the film camera I shoot with the least. First being the Canon F1 then the EOS 3.
>>
>>3071127
Sell [spoiler]me[/spoiler] your M4 for cheap.
>>
>>3071696
I probably would have got a Bessa R/R2 if I'd found one locally for a decent price. Do you like yours? The viewfinder is definitely the attraction for me.
>>
What's the point of getting a Canon rangefinder if the 50/0.95 costs a fortune nowadays because of mirrorlessfags?
>>
>>3071887
Plenty of other good LTM lenses out there. The Canons have a 50s/60s look that I specifically want right now. Shooting some Fomapan 400 these days.
>>
>>3071887
tfw I found a 50/0.95 last year on holiday in a little camera store in absolutely condition for €600 and didn't get it
>>
>>3072137
*absolutely perfect condition
>>
File: fomapan-400-004.jpg (181KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fomapan-400-004.jpg
181KB, 667x1000px
>>3071746
The finder of the Bessa series is as good as those of an M, but can be inaccurate due to the shorter base.
What's wrong with the shutter on your M4?

>>3071899
Try it in Rodinal 1+25 at 30°C and continuous agitation - picture related.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Image Width2191
Image Height3352
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Horizontal Resolution2400 dpi
Vertical Resolution2400 dpi
Image Created2017:04:02 18:31:57
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width667
Image Height1000
>>
>>3071746
I've got a Bessa R2A. The viewfinder is miles and miles better than a Fed or Zorki, which is what I'd shoot if I didn't shoot the R2A. Shutter speeds are shown on a LED display which requires you to look into the finder dead on if you wear glasses, or it'll bleed over into the next number. With contacts it's much better, but fuck wearing contacts.

Metering is fine, adjusts to 2x and 3x filters well enough. Chink LTM-to-M adapters work at least in the 24-90 range for Soviet standard lenses.

Main gripe I've got with it is that the rewind crank has a joint in the middle, which gets loose over time. Consequently if the camera is shot in portrait orientation, the second curtain return mechanism can give a strong enough jolt to cause the crank's second half to pop out just enough to block winding against the body on the next stroke. Drives me nuts whenever it happens.

However, 1/125 sync speed. Combined with a self-metering auto flash I've got some very nice results considering what the camera is: a modern retro toy.

Word of warning: any M-mount camera will chuck you straight into M-mount spending. Treat it as a lo-fi affair, or sell your car.
>>
File: doggo-thread.jpg (3MB, 3000x1978px) Image search: [Google]
doggo-thread.jpg
3MB, 3000x1978px
>>3071127
I've been using a Canon P as my main camera for over a year now, love it. It's a very encouraging camera to shoot with, and the Canon LTM glass is both tack sharp and cheap to boot. The 1:1 viewfinder of the P is so good, perfect for shooting with both eyes open.

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>3072142
It stuck open after a shot and it won't close or advance. I haven't had it inspected, but I asked a Leica tech I trust about it and he said that it's a common problem with M4s. The glue holding the shutter curtain in place eventually breaks down and the curtain sticks open. The curtain has to be replaced, and I was quoted $425 parts and labor. I can afford it, but I've got higher priorities right now, so I'll keep it on the shelf for a while.
>>
>>3071131
I know nothing about canon rangefinders. How much does a 7 and nice 35mm lens go for roughly?
>>
>>3072218
If you're in the US you should also consider Youxin Ye, who apparently has a quite good reputation.
http://yyecamera.com/price_m_body.html
>>
>>3072218
A good sample of a Bessa is going to cost at least the same, if not more. Guess a P goes for less on the other hand.
>>
>>3072221
$100-150 camera, ~$250-350 lens

>>3072222
That's my guy! He kept my M2 in repair back when I had one. But that body was a lemon - never got rid of its light leaks completely.

>>3072224
Yeah, I went for a P. $100 on eBay. There's a lot to choose from among the Japanese sellers.
>>
>>3072230
How did those light leaks look like? I contacted him a few days ago cause my M4 shows some light leak occasionally. I guess these occur under certain circumstances - when I transport the film rather slowly and a light is directly shining into the lens.

What seriously bothered me about the Bessa I had were the strap lugs. It's impossible for the camera to hang straight if the attached lens (35mm pancake in my case) isn't that heavy. The way it was hangig caused the hotshoe, or external finder to permanently hit against my belly.
>>
>>3072396
It was usually a spill across the bottom of the frame - so the top of the film strip. It seemed to happen regardless of lens, and I couldn't figure out what I had to do to make it happen.

The thing that puts me off most when reading about the Bessa R is how the back door's rubber coating breaks down over time and gets sticky like a fucking N90. Obviously any of the newer bodies wouldn't have that problem.
>>
>>3071127
all the lens are prone to haze and fungus
>>
File: Bild032_Neg.Nr.31A.jpg (245KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bild032_Neg.Nr.31A.jpg
245KB, 667x1000px
Like this?
The rubber on the backdoor of the Bessa I had got really disgusting and was quite sticky. I used some grapefruit cleaning stuff and a sponge to get rid of it. Worked well and afterwards only the plastic was left.
I enjoyed shooting with the Bessa R, but compared to an M, it feels a bit like a toy. Guess R2 and above feel more solid due to the metal top plate.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Image Width1392
Image Height2088
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:05:08 22:41:42
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width667
Image Height1000
>>
>>3072428
Lots of examples on eBay have haze/fungus, but the Japanese sellers are pretty good about making note of problems like that. And there are so many to choose from nowadays.

I had a 35/2.8 Serenar at one point, but I sold it. I wish I hadn't, because they're somewhat scarce and it was a nice lens in nice shape.

>>3072430
Yep, just like that.
>>
>>3072454
When I shine into the body from the front and look closely through the backdoor from a high angle, I can see where the light gets through. Ye told me it is a problem related to the curtain, too and to look for an M6. The problem occured in 4 out of 74 shots, so I guess I can live with it for a while, but I already started looking for a replacement.
Check the Color Skopar 35mm 2.5. There are two versions of it in LTM. The MC version has a very short focus throw.
>>
>>3072149
>which requires you to look into the finder dead on if you wear glasses

I've given up trying to use glasses on my R3M, so I bought a diopter lens so I could stick my eye to the viewfinder without glasses. It's much better and I didn't need to use contacts.
>>
>>3072138
it's a piece of shit, you should be lucky you didn't buy it
>>
>>3072565
That's right, drive the value down.
>>
>>3071727
Why do you like the F1 more?
>>
File: 308F4240.jpg (2MB, 2464x1648px) Image search: [Google]
308F4240.jpg
2MB, 2464x1648px
>>3071887

Funny you mentioned the f/.95

I bought these two awhile back for $20
What should I sell them for?
I see they go for about $2000 on ebay in good condition.
The one is missing the body, but has all the elements.
They both probably need a cleaning and the complete unit needs to have the aperture lubricated.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.4.0
Serial Number0000021256
Image Created2017:05:09 04:15:04
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2464
Image Height1648
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationUnknown
ContrastUnknown
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceFluorescent
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed256
Camera Actuations4610
Color Matrix3
>>
File: 308F4242.jpg (2MB, 2464x1648px) Image search: [Google]
308F4242.jpg
2MB, 2464x1648px
>>3072740
Second Picture

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.4.0
Serial Number0000021256
Image Created2017:05:09 04:15:41
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2464
Image Height1648
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationUnknown
ContrastUnknown
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceFluorescent
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed256
Camera Actuations4612
Color Matrix3
>>
>>3072734
Compared to the VI-L? I like having the meter in the camera. Plus the rangefinder is harder to focus with. I've seen some hacks to dim the viewfinder which I may try. That could help me use the VI-L more. For me, the F1 just works. No fuss, while using the VI-L feels like going in half blind.
>>
>>3072740
Are you aware they are radioactive as fuck? That yellow glow is thorium oxide.

Can't you buy the missing parts and put it together to sell for more?
>>
>>3072734
Seriously bro, just fire the shutter on an F-1 once, and you will understand. There's nothing like it.
>>
>>3072149
... I'd like to take back what I said about chinkshit adapters. Apparently my first one was the exception, but the other four I bought have too long flanges and the barrel is too large. So, there are times when chinkshit is defective product sold as the actual thing.

Same packaging as the working thing too.
>>
>>3073418
they're about as radioactive as a smoke alarm you faggot
>>
>>3073418
And it has a half-life of over 1,000,000,000 years, I don't care.

Would that be a viable option?
Can you point me out a cheap broken lens to steal parts off of?
>>
>>3073295
No, compared to the EOS 3.

Wouldn't more light be helpful to focusing?

>>3073505
>just fire the shutter on an F-1

I'd like to get my hands on one.
>>
>>3073738
Well the EOS 3 is heavier. Especially with EF lenses which are generally larger than FD lenses. Also while the EOS 3 is generally the better camera, it meters nicely, has a great viewfinder, feels good in the hand and has the best shutter sound ever, it is not a manual slr. Part of the fun of shooting film is kinda lost while using it. I like using the film advance and manually focusing and taking it slow sometimes. Plus the 3 is huge, easily the size of a 5D. Don't want to take that everywhere, especially when traveling.
>>
File: g3.jpg (254KB, 1305x881px) Image search: [Google]
g3.jpg
254KB, 1305x881px
where can i get just a rewinder knob without buying a whole other camera just for parts

>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (148KB, 1504x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
148KB, 1504x1000px
OP bump. The P finally arrived yesterday, and I honestly don't know why I hated it so much the first time. It has the heft and size of a film M, the film advance feels good, the shutter speed dial is in the same place and feels almost the same as on an M. Canon did their homework back then. The shutter is louder and the viewfinder takes a second longer to register with the eye, thanks to the lack of hard edges on the RF patch, but the image is clear and its parallax-corrected.

One strap lug is a little loose, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Incredible value for what they sell for, especially given the Canon and Voigtlander LTM lenses out there.
>>
So this is rangefinder general?

What is a relatively cheap rangefinder to start with? I have a few rangefinder lenses for my mirrorless I enjoy using and would like a film body for them. But before I blow a grand on a Leica M4 or something, I wanted to put a few rolls through something cheap to see how I like it. Only requirement is a built in meter.

I am in Japan, so there are lots of awesome used shops around town so I can find pretty much anything.
>>
>>3081454
>Only requirement is a built in meter.
Then you won't be happy with an M4. You're looking for M5, or M6.
What mount are your rangefinder lenses? For m39/ltm check the Bessa R. For m-mount check Bessa R2, or later. All CV Bessa have a good lightmeter and bright finders - as bright, or even brighter than Ms.
>>
>>3081466

M4 has no meter? Everything I read said it did.

Oh well.

All my lenses are m-mount actually.

I have heard decent things about the Bessa R3 and R4, but I also heard they have mediocre build quality.

I was also looking at the Minolta CL, but I hear their meters are prone to breakage and parts are rare.
>>
>>3081454
Depending on the lenses you have, you could also try a Leica CL or Minolta CLE. The CL has framelines for 40mm, 50mm, and 90mm, and the CLE has framelines for 28mm, 40mm, and 90mm. Both are M-mount and have meters, as long as they work.
>>
>>3081472
M4 is the same price as an M6 usually, anyway, thanks to the collector value. M4-2 and M4-P are also meterless but are less expensive.

M5 is known as an ugly duckling and so it goes for quite a bit less than an M4 or M6.
>>
Ha, the light leaks are gone. Happened only when I transported the film slowly, or in more than one continuous stroke.

>>3081485
True. Wanted to upgrade from Bessa to M and don't need a meter, so I settled for M4-P, cause I wanted a black camera with 28mm framelines.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.