/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't digital into color like this? Why is it often

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: cadillac_c.jpg (80KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cadillac_c.jpg
80KB, 600x600px
Why can't digital into color like this? Why is it often instantly obvious a photo was taken on film or digital? What is it that prevents digital from looking as pleasing as film? I don't think it's just a bias or nostalgia.
>>
because the people who designed the emulsions are better than most people at editing raws

also because that image has godlike light in the perfect direction against nice appealing objects
>>
>>3065092
Well shouldn't there be digital photographers able to find the right lighting and have good editing skills?
>>
>>3065095
There are but this is all irrelevant to you since this is just a bait thread anyway
>>
>>3065101
>There are

But where can I find them?
>>
>>3065108
Better start going to galleries, or googling
>>
>>3065113
Could you post some?
>>
>>3065121
see
>>3065113
>>
>>3065121
>>3065108
www.divola.com
click on 2010s > Gigapans > subject observations, that first image, thats good color, plus good luck trying to do that with film
>>
>>3065129
Stop shilling your snapshit blog
>>
>>3065129
>www.divola.com
all the subsequent images - typical shit tier digicolour.
way to btfo yourself with your own fucking example.
8x10 does this crap as a one-shot, btw
>>
>>3065161
>John Divola
>Snapshit blog
lololololololololololololol
>>
>>3065083
Even for the nth time still worthless shit and hipster/10. I hope someday someone puts comparable quality shots in your face, perhaps until you'll start to puke too.
I hate this shot profoundly! Also your perception has to be really hindered or you are blinded by nostalgia! If your camera were digital, I'm sure you'd be annoying us with your brand and gear talk. Fuck off!
>>
>>3065129
These honestly just look like snapshits to me. Nice composition but that's it. Am I missing something?
>>
can someone please tell me who took this anyways, not the first time I've seen a thread like this either lol
>>
digislugs already roasted and rustled. good thread.
>>
>say colors "like this"
>don't specify what you are looking for
>when people post examples, dismiss them as wrong
>wait for thread two die
>wait two weeks
>post again
>???
>autism
>>
this thread again? even with the same OP picture.

kys film shills.
>>
>>3065665
>>3068113
>>3068115
yet here you all are, still taking the bait and replying

stupid fucking retards
>>
>>3068118
y-you too
>>
>>3068113
>>when people post examples

I don't see any.
>>
>>3067099
OP's picture is an Eggleston.
>>
Egglestons photography is basically godly, and I'd have to agree digital colouring is shit, after fucking with levels then you may get some good colour but nothing that stands up to colour film !
>>
File: DSC01214.jpg (139KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01214.jpg
139KB, 1000x667px
>>3065083
how is this one i took ?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7R
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution94 dpcm
Vertical Resolution94 dpcm
Image Created2017:05:03 00:04:48
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Brightness10.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3068360
Nothing special.
>>
>>3065083
the fact that it's possible to display it on a screen is proof that digital can into colour like that
>>
>bump
>bump
is this the sound of a meme on life support?
>>
File: IMG_3448.jpg (2MB, 2716x1830px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3448.jpg
2MB, 2716x1830px
Here's a pic of some sheep I took with Superia 400.
I took some similar raws with my girlfriends digital Nikon and couldn't come close with Lightroom no matter how hard I tried

I'm with OP to be honest. Digital is more convenient and cheaper but I never find the results as appealing

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width2716
Image Height1830
>>
>>3070272
It's the sound of desperation for someone to explain this phenomenon.
>>
>>3068360
Colors are way to washed out

Also why does school bus font vary from certain regions
>>
>>3070307
>bump
>>
File: IMG_1087.jpg (186KB, 1200x646px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1087.jpg
186KB, 1200x646px
>>3070307
You're the only that can explain your own aesthetic preferences.

Horizontal Resolution270 dpi
Vertical Resolution270 dpi
Image Width1200
Image Height646
>>
File: IMG_1092.jpg (1MB, 3600x2395px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1092.jpg
1MB, 3600x2395px
>>3070375

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerMaster Sgt. William Greer
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1356
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image Width4256
Image Height2832
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:05:11 14:13:46
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length32.00 mm
Image Width3600
Image Height2395
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3070259
Not really... It's the fact that it was scanned using a sensor, the exact same technology in digital cameras, that proves it.

Computational photography, on the other hand, can also be displayed on a monitor, but can do things that violates laws of physics, so that alone is not enough.
>>
>>3070274
How much colour correction does pic related have?
>>
>>3073606
None on my end, that's the scan I got directly from the lab
Whether the lab's scanner applied any correction or not I don't know
>>
Okay.

Film is biased based on the colors and how chemicals reproduce them, and over 50+ years of experience and brilliant minds trying every combination under the sun, the output was the pinnacle of how one can translate an image onto a physical medium.

However, digital cameras have pixels, which in essence, like recording audio on a CD versus vinyl, may not have the type of "bit detail" as a vinyl would (think cameras with lower megapixels; you get the entire song as a whole but you may not have many nuances only the most expert would search for), but this detail is completely marred by the fact that you convert energy (light or sound) into a physical medium.

Digital sensors however, are much better suited at understanding the energy impulses that a photon or light wavelength can leave, and basically can store this as it's raw info.

From years of seeing edited images and films, photos of real life unedited and taken digitally, tend to look flatter and way less "smooth" / appealing because you aren't seeing the colorations that the translation to a physical medium, provides, and the numerous years we've had to cater for it, much like 120 gram vinyl or exotic cartridges and turntables.

However. One can argue that while you can take a very high megapixel photo, edit it and emulate grain, and have it transferred to the physical through newer digital to film methods, a digital shooter can produce a film shot indistinguishable from the characteristics of film, while to do it the other way is almost impossible without sourcing the finest films and flawless darkroom technique, not to mention scans and all the work it takes.
>>
>>3073614
Forgot to say:

Film is like adding the pops and crackles to the song; for some, that's the truest experience, dynamic and "colored" off the vinyl, while those of us who grew up in digital see film looks as "old" simply because we immediately spot (or hear) the differences between coloration and purity.

This is NOT however to say film is worse. Need dumb ass high resolution shots? Rolly. Want the experience of taking your time and not relying on a delete button? Film. Archiving photos and you don't trust how hard drives and solid states both degrade data faster than a properly preserved glass plate or film stock?

All else, go to digital because well, are you doing this to enjoy the experience, like a vintage vinyl, or approaching this as a modern HQ MP3?
>>
>>3073614
I'm clearly not fooled into thinking your picture is shot with film. Neither have you an understanding of the energy impulse that a photon can leave to make a picture. You suck.
>>
>>3073645
>Implying ultimately, DSLR's do not convert the raw intensity, frequency, and impulse of said photons and energy into electronic signals versus an imprint on a physical medium

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/HOW.HTM

You're not fooled because I wasn't trying to, and implying any photo here can actually fool you without looking purposely fuzzy and punchy to imply film.

If I suck, then you definitely blow. See how that works?
>>
>>3073612
ah ok. looks great
>>
>>3073616

Fool frame digi is 320kpbs at best mang
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.