[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you become successful on social media? What services do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: film-109-2.jpg (503KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
film-109-2.jpg
503KB, 900x598px
How do you become successful on social media?
What services do you use? insta, 500px, what else should you be on in 2017?
Any good guides you recommend?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.10 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2017:04:17 19:43:26
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height598
>>
I really like that shot.

But as for social media - how to become successful I don't know but I know on Twitter at least there are a few tags you can use where you are basically automatically reposted so your image gets shared immediately with everyone who follows that particular group. There's also Flickr and multiple groups on Flickr even for individual lenses and such.
>>
>>3062947
thanks!

I found that flickr groups I've tried to use are just dead and places where people dump photos and don't really look or engage that much. Do you have more info on the twitter thing?
>>
>>3062947

not OP but thanks for the flickr direction. I havent used the site in a long time but it seems theres still people who publish and comment there
>>
>>3062949
Yeah!
#500pxrtg and as far as I can tell, they will automatically retweet you. It isn't to say many people will necessarily engage, but it will certainly get passed around.

#togtweeter - same deal.

Also, #ThePhotoHour or @ThePhotoHour - it says tweet them with description and location and all credit given. I'd be curious to see your pics!
>>
>>3062955
Yeah there are a number of people who post there - some who "fave" and comment... I was buying a new camera recently so I was heavy on the hunt for sample pictures. I decided on a lens by seeing some people's sample shots on Flickr (combined with other sample shots and reviews). I had forgotten I had a Flickr until looking it up. Would be curious to see your pics also!
>>
>>3062957
https://500px.com/ryanscullin
haven't uploaded much yet

currently purging my instagram because I don't like much of my older content and it turns out that spamming hashtags has made some of my pictures "shadow banned" which is part of why I want to look into actually figuring out how to do well on social media.
>>
>>3062960
Damn! I think I like a lot of your pictures! What camera/lens(es) do you use?
>>
>>3062964
Right now I'm using an M6TTL and Summicron 50 for film and an X-Pro2 for digital.

The older film pics are from a Yashica Electro 35MC, I kept this around in my bag before I got into film. For the past month or so I've been shooting nearly 100% film and it really makes me wish I could afford an M10 because shooting with the M6 is so fun but digital is just so much more convenient and getting sharp high quality images is much easier and doesn't require sending film out to get drum scanned or printed on an enlarger.

Film is fun though, it's easier to get a cohesive look when you only shoot a few types of film while with digital, I'm more tempted to edit each photo in a different way which made a lot of my older work less cohesive I feel. When I go back to shooting digital I need to keep this in mind for sure, I'll probably try to keep the tones/colors I like from the fuji films I've been shooting.
>>
>>3062969
Oh man. I think a lot of people on 4chan seem to use film whereas digital is everywhere these days. Then again, that's one of the downsides is that LITERALLY everyone has a camera these days and probably a majority of the pics people share are just smartphone pics. Film makes it feel more genuine in a sense because you can't afford to just waste your shots like you can with digital (obviously not including paid work).

I only shot on film when digital cameras as a kid and even then it was mostly just disposable cameras. I still remember trying to think I could compose a shot when I was like... 13. (I couldn't then nor can I now lol).

I imagine you are the type who just eyeballs something and can compose a shot on a whim? I REALLY love that first shot - I know I already said it but I can't emphasize it enough!
>>
>>3062974
Thanks again, I don't know how good I am at composition but I do find when I shoot primarily film for a while, my hit rate is much better because I can't fire quickly in bursts to capture a moment so I have to be more aware of smaller things like catching the subject mid-stride rather than when both feet are parallel or something. Also using viewfinder/rangefinder cameras I feel helps me slightly because I can know if a subject blinks and know pretty much exactly what the image looks like when captured because there's no blackout, the sound along with what I see through the viewfinder tells me if I got a good shot or not whereas with an SLR or digital viewfinder, I tend to want to chimp because the screen blacks out when the image is captured so the subject could've blinked or something very minor could have happened that I didn't catch. I'm left eye dominant and it's much more natural to look through the viewfinder with my left eye so I can't do the whole two eye thing that some people do, so for me I think that's why many of my better-composed pictures and better timed captures are on my X-Pro2 for digital and rangefinder/viewfinder cameras but if I weren't left eye dominant maybe I would have an easier time just holding the viewfinder to my right eye and keep my left eye open to see outside of the frame and time things like many other street photographers do. Thanks, I'm not that great though but I'm definitely improving which is good, my graphic design work is more cohesive than my photo work overall I feel. I want to improve my social media presence though because it's really horrid right now.
>>
>>3062978
Also this is really why I want an M10 some day, I tried one out and it was amazing, it felt so natural and I feel like I'd never need to chimp because of the optical viewfinder/lack of blackout. All of the appeal of shooting a leica film camera for capturing moments with the versatility of digital files, I can dream. For now I'm going to keep shooting my M6TTL because it has long been a dream camera of mine and I managed to get it in great condition for a good price, but shooting with it definitely makes me wish I could get an M10.
>>
>>3062978
I have a long way to go myself but I could understand what you mean. I had no idea that's what people are commonly doing these days (keeping both eyes open while looking through the viewfinder). I'm having to just get used to a viewfinder again after coming from a point and shoot. Do you mostly do street photography? (Or what else?) I guess looking back that makes sense even though your pictures didn't strike me as "Street photography" based on the sort of street photography I'm used to seeing. Then again, count me a total novice. I've been taking pictures for a long time but it hasn't gotten me anywhere lol.
>>
>>3062979
I keep seeing this around - what is the benefit of a Leica camera? I assume it must be film only or film primarily? Again, total novice - and not trying to be a bother.
>>
File: Kyoto.jpg (1MB, 1469x979px) Image search: [Google]
Kyoto.jpg
1MB, 1469x979px
>>3062989
>Do you mostly do street photography? (Or what else?)
I do fashion photography occasionally too but I'm living in a small town now so I haven't for a while. I'm a graphic designer primarily.
>I guess looking back that makes sense even though your pictures didn't strike me as "Street photography"
Yeah most of my stuff just uses people to fill the frame of the photo rather than having the people as the subject so it's sort of between street and architecture/travel idk.

>>3062990
Leicas have rangefinder focusing systems which are super easy to understand and allow you to see the whole scene and even outside of the frame when you look through the viewfinder rather than seeing through the lens itself. This gives you a few advantages for street photography, seeing outside the frame lines lets you wait until a subject enters your frame and you can see the subject entering the frame before he actually does, you don't get the tunnel vision you normally have with an SLR and also like I said before, the viewfinder doesn't black out so you know exactly what you captured when you hit the shutter.
There are other M-Mount rangefinders like the Voigtlander Bessa series which are also great but they have metal shutter curtains which are quite a bit louder and add more shake which means that at slower shutter speeds, you're going to have a hard time getting a sharp image. Leica isn't really as special as people make it out to be, there are plenty of other great rangefinder cameras, they're the only company that is still making modern rangefinders though, digital Leicas are ridiculously overpriced but I still want one haha

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX100T
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:01:27 18:23:28
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Brightness8.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length23.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1469
Image Height979
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3062996
Oh wow - Kyoto must be an amazing place to take photos! I envy you for that! But it must be fun being a fashion photographer. I am still a greenhorn even at image edits so I am heavily outclassed here but - one way to learn is seeing what others do! If I may ask, do you do graphic design for a living and have taken up photography for a hobby? Or are both hobbies and you are looking to go pro?
>>
>>3062996
... And as for the Leica I appreciate the explanation but I don't even recognize the brand names! >.<

I better re-read my camera's owners manual before I ask more questions about your equipment! :/ haha
>>
>>3063004
>do you do graphic design for a living and have taken up photography for a hobby?
Yeah, I mean I went to school for graphic design and I'm just graduating now with some work lined up. A lot of my graphic design implements my own photography, and I'm pretty good at publication design so I'm sure wherever I go with my design work, I'll be doing a lot of photo work with it. Fashion photography is another possibility for me but it depends on where I am, how good I am at it, etc
>>
>>3063009
What got you into fashion photography? Well I guess what got you into graphic design even?

You still have to have a good eye in order to do graphic design. I am always amazed watching people do graphic design via keyboard shortcuts. It's so fast!
>>
>>3063014
A lot of my friends are into modeling/fashion so I just took pictures of them and that got me interested. Graphic design, I have just always been into visual arts in general and I'm not great at drawing so it made sense for me to pursue something I could do mostly digitally.
>>
>>3062944
What's so redeeming about having random retards fawn over snapshits?

You should honestly spend your time learning enriching your knowledge of photography.

500 px and flickr are absolute bottom of the barrel trash.

Make a website get out and shoot interact with people irl
>>
>>3065772
flickr is good backup
>>
>>3065772
>>3065838
Flickr is really bad. I guess I just want to know what other ppl do to get their work seen in general. I'm not the best with social media in general
>>
>>3065855
>>3065855

It depends on what you want.

This is /p/ so I wouldnt expect hobbyists to care about photography as art.

But if you are then I'd say create a body of work and sumbit to places like Vice, Foam, Etc.

If not just join those instagram pods so you can "Like" farm interactions
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.