[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Went to a convention in Seattle to take some snapshits and to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: FB_IMG_1492737682272.jpg (376KB, 2048x1696px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492737682272.jpg
376KB, 2048x1696px
Went to a convention in Seattle to take some snapshits and to make appointments with a couple of well-known cosplayers. I came back with an ass load of photos and am now wondering what my best options for websites to begin an online portfolio would be. Any input or critique is appreciated.
>>
>>3060874
Do you have Parkinson's disease?

The image is not sharp at all.

Also were is the EXIF?
>>
>>3060874
Cosplayers can never get the hair right.. like what is on clouds head?
The Wan Piss guy is great though
>>
>>3060885
I downloaded it from my Facebook, I'm not at the computer at the moment otherwise I'd make sure the EXIF is there.
>>
But mostly I'm wondering what to even use as an online portfolio, preferably free and with a decent selection of templates that I can customise. I hear 500 pix is a good choice, only I'm not sure if it's free.
>>
I used Folio for a throwaway portfolio.
>>
>>3060942
Meant FolioHD.
>>
>>3060944
Well at least that's something. I'll check it out.
>>
File: _DSC4667-2.jpg (887KB, 1576x1200px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC4667-2.jpg
887KB, 1576x1200px
>>3060889
The wig is great..I think he got a stylist to do it

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>>3060874
Typically only cosplayers, weebs and cosplay photographers give a crap about cosplay. Not many people want to see a fat Madoka with a misplaced wig in crappy makeup. Cosplayers are great for practice, there are few people in the world as thirsty for attention and photographers as them.
>>
File: DSC_0038.jpg (3MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0038.jpg
3MB, 6000x4000px
I just put it on my FB page.
A lot of people like my pictures.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareViewNX 2.10 W
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern886
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:04:09 21:18:39
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3063687
If your FB page is new, be prepared for a world of hurt once you start gaining followers. Zuckerburg loves to throttle reach on pages once it hits 1,000 likes.
>>
>>3063687
join a bunch of anime groups or pages or something, preferably groups, and share your pics occasionally in them to get some likes and follows
>>
>>3060892
Why not WordPress
>>
>>3063701
>>3063703
I already promoted it in weeb groups.
Also I give out business cards with a QR code on the back and tag the pages of cosplayers I photographed.
>>
>>3063808
This is a good idea, the QR is a brilliant twist on the old-fashioned business card.
>>
>>3063721
Word Press was a good runner-up, among others. In the time since I made this I chose to run with 500 Pix. From what I understand, it helps with streamlining the sale of prints people might be interested in buying. My ex-gf's uncle uses it too, he referred me some years back.
>>
>>3063687
Fucking learn how to resize.
>>
>>3060874
>emphasis on snapshits
>>
OP here, things have been going well since I made the post, I'm at where I'd like to sell prints of the photos that turned out very well, but I can't make sense of how to go about it. I could either, 1). Show the client a watermarked snapshot of their photo and offer for them to buy an unwatermarked copy off of my 500 Pix or 2.) Much like the first but sell them a less intrusive watermarked photo after they buy it. My only concern about this, however, it that I don't want this to hinder their goal to use such a photo as promotional material.

At the same time, I don't want everyone running off with the rights without giving me credit. So if someone has advice then it'd be great to hear it.
>>
File: Emilia 03 avril-2 (Copier).jpg (203KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Emilia 03 avril-2 (Copier).jpg
203KB, 800x1200px
cosplay thread ?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.2 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:04:04 16:46:29
Exposure Time1/3200 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
Oh, and another thing. I wanted to ask if anyone emails a client with all the original prints or if they only send them the best shots and then the original unedited shots only of they ask for them. Many thanks.
>>
>>3065177
Yes, please post your cosplays! Loving the aperture btw, I would have liked to have seen more of the outfit (if there aren't shots that are like that already) and the flower at the bottom detracts from the outfit in that sense.
>>
File: Japan Party 02 avril-42 (Copier).jpg (145KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Japan Party 02 avril-42 (Copier).jpg
145KB, 800x1200px
yeah last one i went heavy with the bokeh

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Created2017:04:04 02:33:32
Exposure Time1/2500 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length67.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3065175
Cosplayers will fucking hate your guts if you do this, unless you mentioned upfront that you plan to charge them for the photos. If you want to make money doing cosplay photography, offer to do photoshoots with them and discuss the payments up front, not after the fact.
>>
>>3065231
This is very good input and clears things up, thank you. The last thing I want to seem like is that I'm out for the money, that just isn't the truth at all. Thank you, it helps.
>>
File: Backwood Deck..png (66KB, 241x170px) Image search: [Google]
Backwood Deck..png
66KB, 241x170px
>>3065189
The halo effect in this is perfect while the sun seems to be in the middle of the sky, the shadows are almost still too dark, and too abrupt on the lower layers of the dress. The bokeh does a good job of concealing the background which almost seems to contrast the subject, possibly consider a different choice in the scenery. Beautiful shutter speeds, the bokeh is on point. There's life in her expression and she is a great subject.

Are you using the f/3.5 on the max focal length? Is it 67mm?
>>
File: PM17 26 mars-1 (Copier).jpg (233KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PM17 26 mars-1 (Copier).jpg
233KB, 800x1200px
>>3065250
Thx dude for the constructive critique. It was at a cosplay event so no many choices of backgrounds.
It was shot with a 6d and a tamron 28-75 2.8. I went to 3.5 to not have a big bokeh.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Created2017:03:30 17:31:58
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length200.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3065245
I've been around the cosplay scene for a few years now and I feel obligated to warn you. For a photographer, it's an absolutely miserable existence. It might seem fun at first, but the deeper you get into the scene, the more you'll hate yourself and every cosplayer around you. Just lurk through the average /cgl/ thread.

>x photographer is such a creep. he literally figuratively raped me!
>x photographer only shoots with beautiful/famous cosplayers, what a fucking pervert!
>x photographer charges too much money for photoshoots!
>I spend money on my costume, photographer spends money on his camera. we both spend money on passes. why do I have to pay him to do his hobby?!?!

Or some variation of the above. Now that's out of the way. I would suggest at least having a facebook photography page, even if you plan to use a different website to host the bulk of your photos. Last time I checked facebook is still the platform of choice for cosplayers, maybe instagram has overtaken it by now, I dunno. But it's the best platform to use to communicate with potential clients, as far as cosplay is concerned. You then have two choices. Dump all your photos on facebook. Cosplayers find their friends and tag them, maybe getting you some likes in the process. You'll have a lot of your weaker photos in the mix, but you'll reach maximum advertising potential. Or you could treat it as a portfolio, only picking your absolute best photos. Your body of work will look stronger, but the average cosplayer will have no reason to like or follow you if you don't have an actual photo of them.

As for making money, you probably won't make a lot. A lot of the lower tier beginner photographers will shoot for $25 for 30 minutes so you'll have a lot of competition offering cheap subpar work. The more famous photographers can pull in maybe $75-$80ish. Compared to regular non cosplay work you could be doing, it's not a lot of money. Cosplayers are cheapskates. Just putting it out there.
>>
>>3065259
This is east coast rates by the way. I think you mentioned you're from Seattle. West coast scene is much much cheaper because everyone and there mother has a DSLR. As in absolutely free photos for everyone cheaper. Good luck convincing anyone to pay you money to do a photoshoot with them. This mostly applies to the California scene, maybe Seattle is different, I dunno.

Now, the actual process of getting photoshoots.

>find nearest con
>search their facebook page/event page
>put together a mini portfolio of your best work, put down your prices and whore yourself out hoping someone takes a bite
>there's also bound to be a few cosplayers asking around for photographers on these pages, you can try to get in touch with them
>you could also try to book a photoshoot walking around the con itself. find a cosplayer, take their photo. show it to them so they'll know you're competent and you can ask them if they're interested in shooting with you at the con, or possible a future con. give them your rates up front. people hate it when they think they're getting a free photoshoot and the photographer tries to collect money on them afterwards.
>also think of random hall shots as like a sample. don't try to charge for that stuff. it's to showcase your shooting style. it's the private shoots where you should be making most of your money
>also consider printing out model release form if you legally want to protect yourself from a cosplayer trying to sell your prints without your permission. it should spell out what the cosplayer can and can't do with the photos. but nobody likes lawyers, so it's up to you want to ask people to sign one. most of the more experienced cosplayers know what these forms are and will just sign it. you might slightly scare off newer cosplayers though.

That's pretty much it I guess. Good luck, have fun and try not hating yourself 4-5 years from now when /cgl/ makes greentext stories about you literally figuratively raping them or something.
>>
>>3065259
>>3065266
Thanks for this! I was thinking of doing this for extra money. I'm hoping I wont get accused of terrible things since I'm female. /cgl/ is pretty rough, I doubt all of them are like that.
>>
>>3065266
To add onto what this guy is saying: think of cons as nothing but networking. Meet, greet, exchange contact info, and then later try for a sell.
>also consider printing out model release form if you legally want to protect yourself from a cosplayer trying to sell your prints without your permission. it should spell out what the cosplayer can and can't do with the photos. but nobody likes lawyers, so it's up to you want to ask people to sign one. most of the more experienced cosplayers know what these forms are and will just sign it. you might slightly scare off newer cosplayers though.
Easy Model release is an excellent app on Android, I assume there's something similar on iOS. Really fast and painless release that sends both you and the model a copy of the completed forms and iirc is based off of the Reuters release (one of the "standard" model releases in any event).
>>
In France it would be impossible to ask Cosplayers for money. They are all youngsters with dirt cheap cosplays. They don't even care about the quality of the photos. I am starting there as my sister is one of those cosplayers but photos i see are ugly.
>>
>>3060874
Hey, if it isn't Shima from /soc/ cosplaying Zorro. Was this in Seattle?
>>
>>3065680
I felt retarded once I re-read your post.
>>
>>3065680
Yeah cheers lad.
>>
>>3065666
What's the name of the app's developer? there are a few with similar names but no 'easy model release'. Also, nice devil trips.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.