[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of the most difficult things I find myself into is editing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Edits.jpg (516KB, 1475x538px) Image search: [Google]
Edits.jpg
516KB, 1475x538px
One of the most difficult things I find myself into is editing night landscapes.
Anybody has any suggestion to make? Am I fucking everything?
>>
>>3057250
First shot is still hugely underexposed.
Better colours are from better exposures.
>>
>>3057290
In other words, keep iso levels low and use a tripod
>>
>>3057291
No, those weren't my words at all.

My words were don't fuck up the exposure, keeping the camera steady and not introducing unnecessary noise is the basics for ANY photo.
>>
>>3057250
Always bracket, even when shooting raw.

Also don't rush. I like to get set up while there is still light in the sky and wait. Then shoot at various intervals as the light fades. Yeah it means you have a lot of frames to choose from but you'll be able to cut it down to half a dozen very quickly. That leaves you with some options to work with.

Process until it look good. DON'T over process and don't try to get the white balance of every lightbulb spot on. You can't
>>
>>3057295
No need to bracket if you just get the exposure right in the first place, it's a night scene, there isn't more than 12 stops of DR.
>>
>>3057305
Maybe you don't need to bracket. I'd rather have too much than not enough and evaluate later. Different strokes etc...
>>
Op here.
Photo was taken last summer. I have a bad memory, I'll try to remember:
Pic was taken with a tripod. Don't have all the exposures stored, tho.
I wanted to catch at least the sunset on Lugano lake, as far as I remember, then they turned the city lights on. UV filter on.

From the exif of the raw:
> 9.05 pm
> f/11
> iso 100 >>3057291
> 60 sec
I originally made this thread because I fall into the meme of "colours need to be edited in order to be real"
Dunno, in a certain sense it feels unnatural at the moment. This one was realised with two layers made from different exposures and cc over the original raw file.
If interested I'll dump the raw.
>>
>>3057428
>I fall into the meme of "colours need to be edited in order to be real"

I'd suggest the colours just need to be pleasing. Think more about the mood, white balance in night photos is always going to be more about taste than colour accuracy. Just because it is not correct does not mean it is not convincing.

Get the sky how you want it, lift shadows where appropriate and let the street lights and their reflections be.
>>
File: Untitleswd-1.jpg (728KB, 1200x1027px) Image search: [Google]
Untitleswd-1.jpg
728KB, 1200x1027px
this method works pretty well

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3909
Image Height3344
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:04:15 20:29:31
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height1027
>>
>>3057688

thanks for sharing
>>
>>3057688
This is gold
>>
>>3057688
>how to polish a turd into a slightly more shiny turd
>>
>>3058117
care to share some of your recent efforts?

No, I thought not
>>
>>3058233
>answering your own question in advance
mighty reddit of you

sure, have a look at my instagram if you want
https://www.instagram.com/marc.adamus/
care to share yours?
>>
>>3058256
lol sure thing moop ... er I mean marc
>>
File: R0003167.jpg (537KB, 633x1000px) Image search: [Google]
R0003167.jpg
537KB, 633x1000px
>>3057688
oh hey, i made that a long ass time ago! well im glad someone is using it, that was when i was just getting into all the night stuff and what not

here is the original pic in that, pretty boring, just needed something to use for the infographic

>>3058117
this is more or less true

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:11:09 23:48:14
Exposure Time25 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness-6.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width633
Image Height1000
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3058280
Op there. Great infographic. Glad you're still around here.
Do you still follow this method, at the present day?
>>
>>3057250
Don't try and color correct as though it is daytime. You've taken a low exposure of night, so keep it low key, instead of trying to make full contrast photo. If you don't want a low key photograph at night, you need to use a tripod and take a longer exposure.
>>
>>3058256
Confirmed for shit taste in other people's photos.

You cheesy bastard.
>>
>>3059122
yeah, i still hold true to that, im sure there are faster and more efficient methods out there, but at this point its just habit, glad its helping people! night shots are a taintwhistle to color balance and edit
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.