[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /p/ balance between living in the moment and capturing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

How does /p/ balance between living in the moment and capturing it?

Let's say you're at a concert or a beautiful chapel. Do you soak it all in or do you pull out your DSLR and start framing shots for the whole event
>>
Good quality compact and do both

I, like most beginners, bought a DSLR as my first serious camera because I thought it was the only option for "real" photography

But I quickly realized that for journalistic/artistic documentation of memories/day-to-day encounters, it wasn't the right kind of camera (the novelty of carrying that thing around everywhere got old quickly).

It's important to have a camera that can be taken everywhere, but can also be forgotten about when not in use. There's a reason the GR is so popular here.

I've got an old Leica for film stuff, and I use the 7 Plus for my digital snaps. The 28/56mm equiv is so convenient, and the simulated bokeh actually works pretty well. I think it's one of the best digital cameras you can buy.
>>
>>3056102
One thing bothers me since i've started with photography

Why would dozens of people take pictures of the same goddamn building or the same scenery. Just to claim, that they have been there? You could download a better pic from the interwebz in no time.

When shooting something, i want it to be special. For me it is a horrible feeling to stand near 10 other people who take pics with the phone from the exact same object.

I normally like to enjoy things - and then i mostly start taking really weird pics that'll remind me of my experience at that place

This was the main reason why i took pics from wax statues while focusing under their noses
>>
>>3056102
I'll never truly understand the concert photography genre. Photography must be the worst tool to approach non-visual subjects.
>>
>>3056102
>Do you soak it all in or do you pull out your DSLR
Both
>>
>>3056102
>Do you soak it all in or do you pull out your DSLR and start framing shots for the whole event
Hell no. If I am watching something I will be watching it. Those who would like to share this moment with me should be here too.
>How does /p/ balance between living in the moment and capturing it?
Take a few snaps if I want. If anybody else asks me, deny. Easy enough.
>>
File: Concert.jpg (926KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Concert.jpg
926KB, 2048x1152px
>>3056228
concert photography is extremely visual. i recommend you try it out for yourself before forming an opinion on it. it is my favorite form of photography and it's really fun
>>
>>3056289
>concert photography is extremely visual
wha does this mean? my point is that photos catch very little of a concert, cause a concert is mainly about music.
>>
I look at things and interesting things i see i take a picture of with my cell phone.
>>
For me, simply being at an event, or simply enjoying a moment is not enough to take out my camera (compact or phone or dslr if I have it on me).

As autistic as it sounds I have to be struck by that wave(tm) of artistic value - the overwhelming urge to capture an image in order to go from in the moment to recording the moment.

This to me, is the most natural way to integrate this hobby into daily living.
>>
A number of people have said "both" and I don't buy that for a second.

You're a concertgoer, do you truly believe you and the working photographer end up with the same experience of the show? Fuck no
>>
>>3056322
I was talking about living in the moment, never said anything about fucking concerts
>>
>>3056312
my point is that there are a lot of visuals in concerts that are worth capturing (in my opinion).
Concerts are much more than just music. (i know that you didn't say it was just music, but i hope you get what i'm saying)
>>
>>3056228
it's one of the only paying entry-level gigs around, what's there to understand?
>>
>>3056146
>Why would dozens of people take pictures of the same goddamn building or the same scenery. Just to claim, that they have been there? You could download a better pic from the interwebz in no time.
>When shooting something, i want it to be special. For me it is a horrible feeling to stand near 10 other people who take pics with the phone from the exact same object.
This
>>
>>3056102
You don't.
If you're there to take pictures you're not there to enjoy the show.

This also applies to anyone whipping out their smartphone btw.
>>
I shot my half-brother's funeral last year. I used a film SLR, so there was no chimping, and relied on another relative to fill in for me (w/ an expensive digital compact of some kind) when I was putting flowers on the casket, or carrying it into the hearse.

Photography didn't interfere with what I was looking for at the funeral (i.e. ritual for a dead brother, as I see fit). Rather it gave me something to do besides weep. Similarly for the funeral dinner afterward: it was interesting to capture some of the people smiling (etc.) in recollection of their friend and relative.

So, yeah. If you're The Photographer in your family, you will sometimes have an opportunity to do things like this. But understand that you can also say no; then it'll be just as though there wasn't a "The Photographer" in your family, which is fine because most don't.
>>
I always just enjoy the moment. It's best to limit yourself to a certain number of shots (like 5), and make them really really high quality. Kinda reminds me when I went to see The David in Florence. Everyone was taking photos literally the whole time and nobody stopped to just appreciate it. Really sad.
>>
>>3056146
>Why would dozens of people take pictures of the same goddamn building or the same scenery. Just to claim, that they have been there? You could download a better pic from the interwebz in no time.
Fucking this.

This used to bother me much more pre mass digital camera era when I, and everybody else, were using simple p&s film cameras or disposables.

When that shit cost money per shot, why the fuck take a picture of the fucking mona lisa, just like everyone else, with the shitty flash blasting and reflecting off the protective glass?

When I graduated I took a eurotrip with some friends; I expressly made sure that every snapshit included one or all of us in the frame or at least something other than a bland landscape or whatever, otherwise what was the fucking point?

>oh wow it's another fucking pic of that stupid leaning tower
>oh wow it's another fucking pic of those retards pretending to hold up the stupid leaning tower

(and now:)
>oh wow it's another fucking pic of those retards taking pics of the retards pretending to hold up the stupid leaning tower.

At least the latter two are better than the tower on its own. Just download some autist's high res shit off google images. A gorillion fucking options for you.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.