[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this is one of the greatest photgraphic works of art from th

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

this is one of the greatest photgraphic works of art from the 10's

https://www.instagram.com/gangculture/
>>
Way to be slow as fuck. I've been shilling Trevor on here for like three years already.
>>
>>3050600
Can someone tell me what I am looking at? I've seen some photographers with this style and I just don't get it. Basically photographing oddities in life?
>>
>>3050670

You're looking at a style variously known as:

>New Topographics/New Topography

Which is a somewhat accurate way to describe it, but also woefully inaccurate as New Topographics was a single exhibition in the 1970's, and not a singular genre that extends forward to today. It's useful as a tool for comparison, however, because a lot of this style derived most of its language from NT, especially from the work of Lewis Baltz and Robert Adams.

>documentary

Which is sort of a catch-all (what photography ISN'T documentary?), but it works.

>formalism

Which is true for some photographers who prefer a less narrative-driven and more aesthetic approach to their photos, but there are also photographers who are "saying" something with their photos as well and could still be classified as belonging to this overall style. gangculture has strong formalistic elements in his work, for instance, though he has plenty of narrative elements in a lot of his photos.

>deadpan

this is probably the most apt and contemporary descriptor of this style, and googling "deadpan photography" will bring up a lot of photos and photographers working in this style. it is still an incomplete description, however, because deadpan is supposed to be an emotionally neutral approach to the photograph, but there are plenty of great photographers who suffuse this style with ironic humor, or even sorrow or anger. gangculture in particular has a great sense of humor and playfulness with his work, which i think elevates him above his contemporaries.

It's not about capturing the oddities of life, necessarily. That's a shallow reading of the style. It's more about how life itself is odd. There is no normal, there is no center. Entropy is everywhere, everything is fucked up, but life is short so why worry about it?
>>
is the irony given by the curvy shadow of the vertical element? honest question
>>
>>3050724
yes.
>>
>>3050600
Would prefer to see a curated set. Just throwing up all your pictures isn't how this is done.
>>
File: 1482394605182.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482394605182.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
>>3051138

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>3050600
Meh. Snapshit.
>>
>>3050600

Why are anarchist so shit at art?
>>
>>3051138
i dunno about that...
i really enjoy the scope of this and the feeling of immediacy you get from the fact that this is an endless stream of small details from la.. it really fits instagram as an presentation platform.
>>
>>3050668
do you want a fucking medal?
>>
B O R I N G

O

R

I

N

G
>>
>>3053158

Yes please.

Do you have one for "coolest guy"?
>>
>>3050714
>There is no normal, there is no center. Entropy is everywhere, everything is fucked up, but life is short so why worry about it?

Shallow as fuck to be sincere, his schtick gets old 5 pics in
>>
>>3054327

Whoa dude did I just get blown the fuck out?
>>
>>3050600
>photography
>art
choose one
>>
I love that light in LA.
>>
>>3050714
This is not new topographics. Get your fucking shit together. You can't sit here throwing terms like that around and be this fucking tasteless. It's not a fucking style. It's a post-modern concept. A subject. A topic. This photographer isn't good. He just walks around enough in a weird enough city, that he finds some slightly unusual things, which somehow passes as novel in the blithering social media community. It's fine as playing around, but considered as anything more it's a complete joke.
>>
>>3050600
You can't seriously be suggesting this is better than anything out of Alec Soth's Songbook, can you?
>>
>>3050714
Thank you for the in-depth rundown, now I don't only know that I dislike this style, but I know why too
>>
>>3055554

I specifically said it wasn't new topographics, moron.
>>
>>3055962
>You're looking at a style variously known as:
>New Topographics
>Documentary
>Formalism
>Deadpan

Saying, this is called new topographics, but then saying it's inaccurate because of a false description of the history of art photography is not you saying it's not new topographics. It's you spewing bullshit.

Your comment implies those four terms are 1) all styles, 2) synonyms, 3) descriptions for this kind of photography. Deadpan is a style, the rest are not. Documentary is a genre/viewpoint. Formalism is an idea/concept/movement/objective. New Topographics is a movement/objective. Of these four terms, only deadpan really applies to it, and formalism could loosely be applied to it, only in that it doesn't have much else to say. But, you wouldn't call a sketch formalism, so it wouldn't be very honest to call this formalism. It's basically practice. It is not form as subject, simply a mildly interesting form.

And the way you end it is pretentious is fuck. And the most bullshit of all. This photo means life itself is odd? Just ridiculous. Next you're going to tell me the Mona Lisa means people are mysterious.

But I guess this is what happens when you skim wikipedia articles, and try and explain shallow Instagram feeds with theory you don't understand.
>>
>>3056004

Saying these are shot without intent or objective and are all about style is just about the most haterade-steeped saltiness I've seen out of this board. My guess is that you went through your deadpan phase and didn't get 55,000 followers so you have to puff up your chest and act like a locally successful fine artist ain't shit and then go take on the guy who said a phrase you heard one time.

Give it up, bruv.
>>
>55,000 followers
With a follower/fave count of 3-6% you can just half that number of followers as very least.
//just passing by//
>>
I didn't know what this style is called, but I like it. Any other recommendations for photogs shooting this style?

I already follow hitomarunobase on Instagram who has a somewhat similar style.
>>
>>3056034
Where did I say there was no intent or objective? Stop acting like you have any talent or critical ability. I'm saying that their intent is shallow. I'm not taking any offense to these photographs, or their success. For what they are, they're well seen. What I have a problem with is pretentious fucks who don't know shit acting like their part of some great act of artmaking and culture and trying to justify it with shoplifted dollar-store opinions. This isn't fine art. It's not even art. It's play. So stop treating it like it's michaelfuckingangelo
>>
>>3050670
>Basically photographing oddities in life?
Yeah. Its cool and all but its like... live in LA, walk around shitty neighborhoods and take an ironic iphone pic
>>
>>3056034
They have the appearance of I am just walking around tripping the shutter to them. Like the kid I took with me that was machine gunning landscapes.
While this is not my style nor do I find any of it interesting, I do find the fact that he got a bunch of likes for nothing.
I now need to make an shInstagram account, and make a dogs licking themselves, and sniffing each others butts series. I should get some mad dog likes for that. But it does indeed reflect gang culture, and that is one of stupidity.
>>
>>3056150

instagram.com/spellelephant
instagram.com/thunder_pino
instagram.com/lucborho
instagram.com/londesign/
instagram.com/drdefense
instagram.com/marcbordons/

and many more.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.