[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sony OSS optical image stabilization only active during video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: cat.jpg (132KB, 1456x900px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
132KB, 1456x900px
I have a Sony mirrorless APS-C sensor camera and want to buy a 50mm prime lens (75mm full frame equivalent) to shoot pictures of my cat in late dusk when she leaves the apartment.

For a couple of weeks I have tended towards the Rokinon/Samyang 50mm f/1.2 lens which provides superior image quality and an immensely fast aperture that actually provides beautiful bokeh and out of focus areas with its 9 aperture blades while still retaining exceptional sharpness and contrast of the in-focus subject; f/1.2 wasn't the result of the marketing floor for this lens.

Recently however, I thought that a Sony 50mm f/1.8 would be a better choice because unlike the Rokinon counterpart, it provides auto-focus. You can't tell cats to stand still for you to set the focus properly. You may miss good shots while you're tampering with the lens.
Furthermore, the Rokinon lens doesn't provide image stabilization, which is not an issue when using a tripod, but cats tend to move and don't leave you enough time to adjust your tripod.
Maybe at f/1.2 the Rokinon lens may get away without optical image stabilization, Sony's f/1.8 most likely will rely on it however when no flash is being used.

[b]tl;dr: I'd like to ask you whether Sony's OSS ("optical steady shot" - lens intern optical image stabilization) is only active during shooting videos or also while capturing pictures?[/b]
>>
File: Rokinon 50mm.jpg (34KB, 730x414px) Image search: [Google]
Rokinon 50mm.jpg
34KB, 730x414px
Picture of the Rokinon/Samyang 50mm
>>
File: Sony 50mm.jpg (44KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
Sony 50mm.jpg
44KB, 500x380px
Picture of the Sony 50mm

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width600
Image Height600
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:08:23 18:10:16
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width500
Image Height380
>>
>>3045789

You might be expecting a lot out of APS-C. Even with IS it's not going to make things razor sharp when a cat is freaking out. I get a lot more reliability out of in-body stabilization in the A7ii
>>
>>3045793
I bought the camera for backpacking, so a full frame wasn't an option. Due to budget reasons, I will use this camera for everything and not buy an additional full frame. I have to deal with that I have.
>>
It sounds peak autismbucks to buy a lens solely for cat photos.
>>
File: 1387460961000.jpg (71KB, 415x200px) Image search: [Google]
1387460961000.jpg
71KB, 415x200px
>>3045798

>he doesn't have a designated pussy lens

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width415
Image Height200
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:12:18 21:55:47
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width415
Image Height200
>>
>>3045798
She's not neutered so there's the prospect of her giving birth to little kitten sometime in summer which will be an event definitely worthy of capturing. Not speaking of the beautiful time that follows.
>>
File: cat2.jpg (101KB, 1200x974px) Image search: [Google]
cat2.jpg
101KB, 1200x974px
Please useful advice, not "get a full frame camera" or "wtf buying lens for cat pictures are you sissy".
>>
>>3045793
Dude, the cat is moving. M O V I N G.
>>
>>3045809
I don't understand your comment.
1/20s shutter speed didn't prove to be much of an issue unless I wanted to print the pictures on a poster.
>>
>>3045795

Buy/Rent a Sony 50mm and see if the IS is worth it then. Amazon's return policy is pretty lax.

A7ii isn't that big of a camera, though. Really depends on what your gear is.
>>
>>3045798
But, I mean, you buy a lens solely for human photos, who is the autistic here?
>>
>>3045816
The comment was directed at the guy shilling FF. 1/20 is ok as far as your handholding ability is concerned but not if the cat moves even a little bit.
>>
yes, OIS works for still photos. this works on practically every brand
yes, the 50 1.8 should weigh less than the 1.2
the 50 1.8 may be more or less sharp than the 1.2, i dont use either
>>
>>3045789
>[b]tl;dr: I'd like to ask you whether Sony's OSS ("optical steady shot" - lens intern optical image stabilization) is only active during shooting videos or also while capturing pictures?[/b]
Take a look at the settings. You can have the OSS set to activate only at the moment of shooting, and so your viewfinder might not look stabilized. Otherwise, you can set it to always on, for a stabilized viewfinder image.

Also, why didn't you buy the 35 1.8 OSS like a normal person? Especially since you have a 50mm already.
>>
>>3045790
I'm pretty sure that OSS is on for both video and photos
>>
up
>>
>>3045902
>Also, why didn't you buy the 35 1.8 OSS like a normal person? Especially since you have a 50mm already.

The only 50mm I have is the fully zoomed out kit at f/5.6. I thought that a 75mm FF equiv. was more suitable for shooting a cat than a 50mm equiv. due to less perspective distortion.
>>
>>3046379
>due to less perspective distortion.

This isn't a thing, stop trying to make it a thing.
>>
File: lindsay_adler2.jpg (33KB, 698x364px) Image search: [Google]
lindsay_adler2.jpg
33KB, 698x364px
>>3046380

wut
>>
>>3046380
Yes it is, and he was correct. a 50mm cropped lens is giving a much more natural and pleasing image of his cat. and also making it easier to fill the frame without getting too close. making 50mm a superior choice to 35mm in this case
>>
>>3046385
This image is a shit example becasue they intentionally change thr framing to make the effect much more pronounced... but it is a thing
>>
>>3046385
This is to do with the distance from subject to camera, not the lens, no one is taking super close headshots with a 28mm lens.
>>
Consider focus too. You're definitely going to want autofocus, moreso shooting a moving subject in low light with large aperture and shallow DOF. This eliminates a Samyang/Rokinon.
>>
>>3046649
no, it is the lens. 105mm on 67 is about a 50mm on 35 but the 105 looks much more compressed

also bruce gilden is doing portraits with wide angles
>>
>>3046721

No, it's the distance to subject.
>>
>>3046721
Lol, that's again, all to do with the distance from subject to camera.

Just learn the basics of perspective, you're making yourself look a bit special.
>>
>>3045789
>I'd like to ask you whether Sony's OSS
RTFM.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.