[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/p/ what is the most you can have out of a raw photograph? what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 2014-07-18-CS6.jpg (4MB, 2400x3505px) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-18-CS6.jpg
4MB, 2400x3505px
/p/ what is the most you can have out of a raw photograph?

what does a great photographer does that you don't, just technique-wise? if you had the exact same equipment as a high end photographer, same lens, same ideas, what has the repetitive process of pressing a shutter button blessed the veteran that you aspire towards as a hobbyist, or as a professional? what are you looking for in your own work?

ive been taking art courses in photography for a while now and we dont visit much the actual act of photography as much as we explore the ideas behind it, which is just as valid. but i have a lot of free time to do this on my own and i feel like i havent been.

do you know any exercises i should take on to get myself out and going for photographs every day? what books do you recommend for both outside and studio shooting, i have all the equipment available and some friends that would model for me any time, and i've never exploited this.

im just looking for inspiration to focus on photography, because i tend to think i can do anything i want, and i just dont have the time, so i want to just stop and focus on this.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2007:11:29 11:16:33
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2400
Image Height3505
>>
>>3045239
1st read the sticky and resize your shit.

Also I have this little exercise where I reread what I type before I post it to make sure it makes sense. You should try it sometime.

Anyways there is more to photography than pointing a camera at something and pressing a shutter button. Just go practice and take pictures of shit. Post in and recent pictures thread and get feedback.
>>
>>3045382
you are quite dense arent u

first of all, this image isnt mine, i just pulled it out of the internet. hint: its by one of the most famous female photographers in ever!!

i dont see how nonsensical my text is, given i havent actually slept though. but either way thanks for bump!!!

>just go practice
well, thats just the thing, it's hard to practice without knowing what im practicing. if im playing minigames to manage my meter it gets kinda boring. im just looking for some proper readings on in-depth exposure (built in and handheld meter) mostly, and anything on advanced lighting in studio
>>
>>3045239
In general I think what seperates hobbyist like people on this board and great photographers is the time invested and the thought they put into their work.

People here just go out at the weekend and take a few pictures of things they think look nice and post them here right away.

A professional photographer though might take hundreds of pictures every day for a year or more and then just release ~40 of them. These pictures will most likely have some sort of theme and won't be just random pictures of nice looking stuff.
>>
>>3045392
honestly, if i can actually bounce back some advice from my own work, sometimes just going out and shooting can be super productive if you open all your images in a contact sheet and try to link your images in some sort of similar thinking, composition, or just "narrative" for lack of a better word. conceptual practices are the more successful right now in the art world

ive been too stuck in this abstract thinking though and i actually feel like i lack some basic stuff that i overlooked, and studio lighting i just have very little idea how to work, but it looks really dense
>>
>>3045239
1. start by taking pictures that you find pleasing
2. look back on that work and see what can do you to improve your images.
3. ???
4. profit

>"i have a lot of free time to do this on my own and i feel like i havent been."
>"and i just dont have the time"

simply put if you don't have the desire to shoot, then don't force yourself to, maybe photography isn't for you. As far as professional and "veterans"
shooting, they developed a workflow, they have been DOING this for a long time enough to know the ins and outs of photography, their own skill set, and what works for them for their type of shooting. And don't think that just because you have the same gear or studio space as professionals, that you'll instantly start making it as a photographer. It takes time and effort to get to their level and if you don't have the desire and thirst for learning to get there,
you will never get there.
>>
>>3045386
No one mistook that photos for being yours.
Still though, jackasses here want thing less than 1000 pickles on the longest side because they don't know how to autosize.

Also, when it comes to practice, take some shots then look at them an find something you don't like in most/all of them.
Go back and re-shoot or do a similar shoot where you correct that problem.
Rinse and repeat until you have nothing you don't like about your photos.
Then start posting here or in other places. Other people will tell you what they hate.
Fix those problems, or agree to disagree.
Rinse, repeat.

As for what makes a good photographer great? It isn't technical skill, it's a trained eye. Look for details, try something new.

Some pros do like anon said and release few of the hundreds of thousands of photos they take.

Others can walk into a room and nail it on the first shot.

Everyone has developed their own method/style/whatever.
But it took 10k+ photos to get there.
>>
>>3045386
You practice to know what you want to shoot you ignoramus. Find out what you like whether that be street photography, portraits, landscapes, wildlife, abstract, or just something you made up. Then dwelve into the nuances of that particular style.
Like >>3045392 said. Professionals shoot alot of photos. Whats dense is thinking you can just read some books and then be good at photography without practicing. It sounds like you enjoy studying art more than actual photography.
>>
>>3045239
>>3045397
please make cindyposting a thing, bro.
>>
File: P11519_10.jpg (147KB, 1536x1026px) Image search: [Google]
P11519_10.jpg
147KB, 1536x1026px
>>3045406
>>3045412
>>3045416

well if they hadnt mistaken them for me then he didnt really have to open the image. but anyway,

thanks though, the idea of shooting similar locations sounds fair enough i will probably try this and see where it can take me.

i do enjoy studying art a lot more than actual photography i wouldn't lie. i mean when it really comes down to it, a great concept will always win over image quality, as long as you can print the image adequately.

but this doesn't mean that im not interested in improving my technical as well! i think books really help in exploring, i mean thats what they are for, people who have tried things that you might not even think of. i have practiced a lot for the past 5-6 years, just not methodically enough to feel more and more confident in my work outside of my little set ups that i can shoot endless times until i get it the way i want it!

youre 100% right though i do need to juts go out and take more photos i just am not sure what im looking for in my image. i have a brief understanding of exposure, you know the basic stuff, but theres more i have been missing on and i want a proper written introduction to it if anyone has anything to recommend.

>>3045419
i love her so much!
>>
>>3045239
cant you make a tl;dr of all that nonsense?
>>
>>3045438
recc me books on lighting and light metering

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:08:02 16:38:57
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width900
Image Height599
>>
>>3045440
oh. not my area. but arent there lots of model lighting DVDs on t*rrent sites? pretty sure you can skip 100 pages of a book just by watching a guy do a setup on video, it conveys lots more, like a workshop.
>>
>>3045440
The Strobist has good beginner info.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.