[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What focal length do you people prefer for general travel/street/walk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

What focal length do you people prefer for general travel/street/walk around lenses? I'm trying to narrow down what lenses I need since I just made the switch to Sony and I'm a poorfag who's only used 3 lenses, the 18-55 kit lens on Nikon and Sony cameras and the Nikkor 35mm prime, neither of which are particularly good quality compared to what's out there.

Something like the Sigma E mount 18-35 f/1.8 looks like a perfect street photography lens because it gives you the framing and depth of field that a 35mm has but still allows you to drop down to 18 in tight spots, but what do you people prefer?
>>
It was 85, then 50, then 35, then 28, now it is 24.

I'd say 28 is the healthiest balance for most people - not too wide, not too telephoto. That said, that can make it quite boring - it's not that wide or that telephoto.
>>
I live out of a van for 3-4 months of the year and travel around Europe, for this I use an XPRO 2 (was an XT1 last year) and 4 lenses.

12mm f2 Samyang
18mm f2 Fuji
35mm 1.4 Fuji
Fuji 60mm f2.4 not only a great macro lens but stunning for portraits

I would say I could get by with just the 18 and 35 if I really wanted to.
>>
40mm
>>
>>3044719

There's no right or wrong, obviously. If you like streetscape type stuff, 24-70 would be a good choice. If you like shooting a wide variety of things including people, go with something longer. I get good results with the Sony FE 24-240 because it never limits me. Heavy and expensive though.
>>
>>3044719
Just get a decent normal zoom with an f2.8 constant, I think a 24-70 is more useful than an 18-50, but, ymmv.

If you use a full frame lens you will only be using the sharpest centre portion on crop, which makes things like the tamron 28-75 and a sigma mc11 an absolute bargain, and will serve you well when you go full frame.
>>
14-42 kitlens (28-84 equiv) and a 50 equiv with f/1.7 if it's horribly dark outside but I'm at the beginning of the road

like others anon have said I think it would be best to have a good zoom lens, I thought it was a bit of a hassle to change lenses and barely mattered all that much really
>>
I walk around with a 50mm on a crop and while I often feel like a real 50mm (equiv) would be awesome - I also don't like getting too close to people so it's a pretty solid trade.
>>
50mm is what I use for most things. Street photography included.
>>
>>3044719
I photographed a lot of my trips with a 50mm lens and came by pretty well, occasionally wishing for something wider.
I now got a x100 for travels and the 35 fits really well once I got used to it. For details I'm missing bits of the compression the 50 gave me.
Overall I liked the 42mm on my Olympus rangefinder the best of all focal lengths to use for almost everything.
>>
28mm, but I shoot architecture almost exclusively
>>
sorry to bother, im a total beginner, but given that op calls himself a poorfag i assume everyone is talking about APS-C?
>>
>>3044719
>Nikkor 35mm prime, neither of which are particularly good quality
Quality-wise the Nikon 35mm dx lens is amazing and is one the few dx lenses worth buying.
>>
I prefer a 1 meter length around my lense for general travel lenses from sony for Nikon 3mm prime which has a good quality compared to what's out there something like the sigma E mount 18-35 meter looks like a perfect lens photography because it allows you to give the framing and depth of people that a 35 kilometer has but still allows you to 2014-05-09-10921688554_d5(...).jpg
>>
>>3044719
I only take my 15-30 (on full frame) when I travel.

If I need a longer lens I can just crop.
>>
>>3044797
wat
>>
>>3044792

He mentions the e-mount so yes, APSC
>>
File: IMG_3408.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3408.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>3044797

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height360
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3044797
>>
File: L1015023.jpg (189KB, 1000x673px) Image search: [Google]
L1015023.jpg
189KB, 1000x673px
>>3044719
A 35mm is a nice wide standard. A 28mm gives you a little more breathing room while not breaking all the lines like a 24mm does. 35mm equiv. lenses are more popular and easier to find for most systems, while 28mm equivalents are somewhat neglected.

50mm is kind of on the edge of being a 'long lens,' and you have to move a little more to avoid losing context or when getting multiple subjects in a frame.

>>3044792
>i assume everyone is talking about APS-C?
No.
> im a total beginner
Stop browsing /p/, learn your basics from books. Listening to youtuber/blogger horseshit will only confuse you.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeLeica Camera AG
Camera ModelM8 Digital Camera
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:02 11:58:50
Exposure Time1/90 sec
F-Numberf/6.7
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating2500
Lens Aperturef/6.7
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID00000000000000000000000000004928
>>
Let me break it down for everyone here:

>wider than 24mm

gimmick land. don't even bother.

>24mm

nice and wide.

>28mm

smartphone tier. no thanks.

>35mm

the true patrician's choice. keeps faces legible at a respectable distance, wide enough that you get some sense of environment, long enough that you can still get some background separation if you focus up close.

>42mm

Close second. It's also the only useful application of a 28mm lens (by mounting it on crop)

>50mm

might as well use an 85mm

>85mm

might as well use a 105mm

>105mm

Patrician tier. Good for headshots AND full body shots (without having to shout at them from 60 feet away).

>135mm

Almost as good as a 105mm, but starting to get a little useless for portraiture unless you use walky talkies.

>anything about 135mm

go shoot some birds ya creep.
>>
File: 1421514482889.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
1421514482889.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>3044797
>>
>>3044797

kilometer te nani?
>>
>>3044719
24-70
>>
>>3044762
>>3044768
That's true, I think a 24-70 would serve me the best for now. I don't really have a set style yet, I like shooting everything from portraits to landscape to street to astro and I also want to get into birds and wildlife. I'm thinking about getting a 24-70, a 35mm prime for the f/1.8 aperture and a decent telephoto, because I assume that shooting at 70mm on a 24-70 is good enough for portraits?
>>
>>3044887
Ye
>>
>>3044784
Agreed.
>>
>>3044887

If you're willing to get up close to people, yes.
>>
>>3044825
Hell I was going to say this is 4Chan so 200mm+ for the creeper shots.
>>
>>3044784

This. The versatility of a 1.4 is great if you start shooting in the daytime and night falls.
>>
>>3044825
Your attitude to focallengths is infantile and ridiculous. You should stop acting like you know anything, and accept that you are just being a snowflaks shooting gearfag sperglord.
>>
>>3045050

>uwa gimmickry fag spotted

sorry you spent all that money on a cheap look my man
>>
>>3045051
Again: all of your assumptions are completely incorrect, and you are just projecting your own ignorance.
>>
>>3044719
>I just switched to Sony
>how do I get shots like this guy with an x100?
>this photo is in 95 groups

I don't think I can take much moREEEEEEEEEEE
>>
if you cant do it with a 35/40mm you have no hope
>>
>>3045056

>tele creep spotted

sorry you spent all that money on a creepy look my man.

you can get pissy all you want, but you know i'm right and the only reason you responded is because i struck a nerve.
>>
This is hard. A 24-105mm was really convenient for travel. I don't like 24-70mm nearly as much. I'd rather have two lenses than a 24-70mm.

For street stuff, the whole day is different depending on how you gear up. If it's gotta be one lens, 35mm is usally my go-to.

I prefer a 2 lens carry.

18mm + 35mm - Stressful because they are both wide and there's too much thinking about which wide you want for the wide shot you see or are looking for. When you have one one, you're thinking about the other one.

18mm + 50mm: Comfy as fuck because you're not thinking about tight shots at all, and it's obvious when the 18 or the 50 should be on the camera.

35mm + 90mm or 135mm: A confident carry, because if everything goes to shit, the long lens is great for doing detail shots or more compressed/abstract stuff. It covers a lot of ground so you ave the burden of thinking long and thinking short at the same time but the freedom to go either way.

50mm + 90mm /135mm: Rainy day rig, good for tight portraits or busy places with shit backgrounds. Conventions or certain street festivals, etc. You have your choice of allowing a little context or none at all. Vs. the 18/35mm setup, these focal lengths don't compete with each other as much.

18mm + 135mm: Really fucking nervous all day. No matter what you do, and what lens is on the camera, you feel like you're missing out on something.
>>
>>3045072
No man. It's difficult to tolerate people being so intensely ignorant and arrogant all at the same time.
You are basically just the prototypical /p/ cancer.
>>
fiddy on FF
>>
>>3044745
I really miss my Samyang 12mm since moving to my A7.
>>
>>3044719
Honestly depends on the location. If I'm going to a place where I know there will be some far away shots and can get some detail, 85mm zeiss. If I know the place will have some stuff that would benfit from a bit of a wider shot, 55mm zeiss. If I know there is going to be a lot of lanscape stuff, 24-40 tokina.
>>
>>3045095

that's some hot ad hominem you got there my man. any actual, real arguments?
>>
>>3045130
>real arguments
Yeah. Identifying one particular focalllength as the only useful one, and others as various naive stereotypes is ignorant as fuck, and you should probably just sftu when it's so self apparent that your prejudices and lack of experience completely rule your ability to be objective or even think at a base level.
>>
>>3045149

not an argument. ;)
>>
>>3044719
>Sigma E mount 18-35 f/1.8
doesn't exist.
mc11 adapter + ef mount though.
the only problem with this setup is, it's hueg like xbawks.
i suggest sony 20mm f2.8 instead.
>>
>>3045058
What the fuck are you talking about, I just grabbed a random street picture from Google so people will actually look at my thread. Where did I ever ask how to get photos like that guy?
>>
21mm + 35mm
Thinking about getting a 90mm in addition.
>>
>>3045150
>>3044825 did not bring up any arguments in the first place.
>>
>>3045214

It's literally nothing but argument.
>>
>>3045286
It's an opinion, there's a difference.
>>
>>3044719
> What focal length do you people prefer for general travel/street/walk around lenses?
Samyang 12mm f/2 + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Rarely also the 60mm f/2.8.

APS-C E-mount.
>>
>>3045295

arguments are opinion my man. If it makes you feel better I offered my rationale behind most of my thinking.
>>
>>3044825
> gimmick land. don't even bother.
Your opinion is shit:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/samyang_12mm_f2/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2822699@N23/pool/

Wide with a good lens is the ideal way to do a lot of shots.
>>
>>3044825
>OP asks for general travel/street/walk lenses
>Portrait cuck goes into full sperg mode
>>
50mm. 35mm is fine too, but it's kind of an easy way out because the wider angle itself makes the pictures look more interesting to an untrained viewer. 50mm on the other hand doesn't embellish your pictures in any way, so if a picture looks good it's your skill and not just a gimmick.
>>
I like 28mm and 35mm most. I find 28mm a bit harder because you have to get really close, but it really pays off when you nail it. Also the best focal length for schnapps imo. 35mm equivalent I like for how effortless it feels to compose and frame with. I guess it's closest to how I tend to see things.

I have the Fuji 27mm which is 40mm equivalent, and that's fun too. Close enough to 35mm. 50mm is already too long for me, I find it too cramped.

I'd like to try to go wider than 28mm. The only lens I have for that now is a 45mm for 6x7, but it's pretty fun to shoot with.
>>
>>3045316
Dear postfactual Anon,
the difference between an argument and an opinion is that an argument can be backed up with empirical facts and not just personal (=individual) experience.
An example: If I state your post is bullshit, it's an opinion, but if I state your post is bullshit in regards to your opinion on the 50mm focal length, it's an argument, as I can provide many photos taken with this focal length that are commonly (=not just my opinion) considered great or even iconic.
Best wishes,
friendly factual Anon.
>>
>>3045347

>factually great

Top lels
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.