[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please critique this photo and explain how, and where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: IMAG0234.jpg (2MB, 3264x1824px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0234.jpg
2MB, 3264x1824px
Can someone please critique this photo and explain how, and where I need to improve? This is one of my best landscape photos, and I was wondering if I could have shot it better (aside from a better camera).

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelHTC Desire 610
Camera Software3.4.0-gb799e00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:27 07:38:20
Exposure Time1/170 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.4
Brightness4.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeOther
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length3.10 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height1824
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3033282
The thumbnail actually looks pretty nice. If this wasn't taken with a phone, it would be pretty good. The flare and almost sepia colouring give it a really nostalgic tone.

The camera really kills it, though. Go get a cheap DSLR and shoot more, man. If your other shots are this good, then it looks like you have an eye for this!
>>
>>3033284
Love it. Darkened and tinted the shadows a little.

Also this >>3033284

Camera ModelHTC Desire 610
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.15.144832640
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image Created2016:03:27 07:38:20
Exposure Time1/170 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.4
Brightness4.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeOther
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length3.10 mm
Image Width3264
Image Height1824
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3033287
And fucked up your sky with a load of banding. Sorry.
>>
Here's something to try - when you're out shooting, just take some different shots from different angles; experiment. Then when you're back home, you can compare and analyze them and learn what you can do to improve first hand.
>>
Could take it at a lower angle using the gate as a subject in the foreground
>>
>>3033297
But then you don't get the path and the river. I prefer it like this - the gate kinda frames the whole image. Plus, y'know, it's supposed to be a landscape, not a gate.
>>
>>3033284
Thank you! I'll be sure to get a decent camera and practice more when I have a little more money.
>>3033287
Thanks. I don't know exactly what you did but I think it improves the photo immensely.
>>3033291
I hadn't thought of that actually, I'll definitely try it next time I go for a shoot.

Wow I didn't realise how professional and friendly this board was, I think I'll spend more time here instead of the less pleasant boards (I'm sure you can guess which ones I'm talking about) on this site.
>>
>>3033297
I was actually trying to get the body of water, sky and grass more when I took the picture. But I'm open to suggestions, can you explain what you mean though? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by lowering it, unless you're talking about making the gate the salient image in the frame.
>>
>>3033300
>professional and friendly
Keep in mind that this not only fluctuates immensely from thread to thread but more importantly depends largely on the attitude of the OP. If you expect others do do your work, don't accept answers you don't want to hear, and act overall entitled and unreasonably, you're gonna get unfriendly replies.
>>
>>3033284
what exactly makes you think that this shot would have been better with a DSLR vs. a phone? Like what aspect exactly would a DSLR improve?
>>
>>3033300
>download Snapseed onto your phone
>test all options, especially curves
>you can edit the presets
>>
>>3033317
The sky is completely blown out. The photo is so soft that it looks like there's motion blur, even though it's clearly not that.
>>
>>3033850
Sharpness isnt the be all and end all. Phones have low dynamic range, sure, but you know what else does? Film. The sky here could very easily be made much less obnoxious with a simple curves adjustment.

That's discounting the fact that hes shooting towards the sun here, a dslr would be extremely hard pressed to not blow out the sky and also retain detail in the shadows. Which, again, isn't the be all and end all unless you are an obnoxious gearfag
>>
>>3033852
It's very, very soft and digital looking. It would without a doubt look far, far better on a large sensor.
>>
>>3033853
Not a reason to discount phone cameras. Best cams the one in your hand
>>
ITT: autists fail to engage with images on an emotional level, and mistake mist for motion blur.
>>
File: IMG_20161103_165114CC~3.jpg (2MB, 2560x1196px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161103_165114CC~3.jpg
2MB, 2560x1196px
>>3033852
not all phones have low dynamic range nowdays and plus some phones HDR is actually very decent like google's HDR+

Camera ModelNexus 5X
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:03:05 18:50:15
Exposure Time533/1000000 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating61
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness8.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Focal Length4.67 mm
Image Width2560
Image Height1196
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
Unique Image ID2798e7638bfa25170000000000000000
>>
>>3033871
the only autist is you, many people commented on the good subject, here the biggest problem is indeed the camera.

mist? yes, there is mist, and there is the fact that not a single element in this picture looks sharp. I find it especially bothering on the gate.
>>
>>3033282
I think some of the other anons are right, your phone camera is really struggling with the light here. Shooting into the sun is a hard thing to get right. Until you gain in confidence, maybe avoid shooting directly at the sun and just look for great side light instead. In this photo, the reeds and shit over to the right look awesome, maybe if you'd walked down to the water's edge and tried to get their reflection that might have been less of a challenge to the camera? I like the photo though, it's a lovely looking location.
>>
>>3033282
Dude, this looks so surreal and I love it. Wallpapered
>>
>>3034195
I pity people who live in cities and think this is surreal.
>>
>>3034755
Yeah, for us, village folk, it's just a turd field next to a river of cowpiss, nothing unusual.
>>
>>3034755
>>3034764
I am lowly city folk and I don't pity my childlike wonder
>>
>>3034755
I was talking about the look, lighting, color, etc.
>>
>>3034792
It's shit. I've shot pics very much like this and deleted them in camera. Very surprised anyone actually likes this crap. Even "city slickers"
>>
>>3034795
You're hardcore
>>
File: DSCN0034.jpg (718KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0034.jpg
718KB, 750x1000px
>>3034798
No I'm not, but I have some standards.
I'm sure the scene was lovely but the exposure is fucked and the composition is dead boring. The colours? There barely is any colour in this at all.
I could go out on any Summer morning and produce crap like this and some days I do but it's not good and you shouldn't encourage OP to be content with this.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX S203
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:05:14 15:34:41
Exposure Time10/5359 sec
F-Numberf/4.6
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/4.6
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
Focal Length6.30 mm
Image Width750
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3034803
Well, shit. I like yours AND OP's.
What's wrong with me..
>>
>>3034805
You just lack any good taste.
>>
>>3034805
They're not awful in the same way that the painting of a cottage your grandmother has over the sofa isn't awful. It's just "pretty" rather than "good" and we should set the bar higher for ourselves.
Thanks, though.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.