[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are stabilisers like this worth it? I'm shooting a video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Are stabilisers like this worth it?
I'm shooting a video for an internship in 2 weeks, I have a Fuji XT1 and a budget of around 30$ for a stabiliser.
Is anything that's not a 1,000$ gimbal a meme?
>>
>>3031013
Not sure how good the $30 stabilizers are, but to be honest 2 weeks is not enough time to get good at shooting with a stabilizer. You have to know how to balance them quickly, which isn't as easy as it looks, and you have to know how to actually move the camera, which is also harder than it looks. Not to mention, you can't really use them for extended periods of time because your arm will kill you after shooting for just a few minutes, and you can't pull focus either. They're cool for a few shots here and there, but should not be your main camera holder.

Get a cheap rig first (assuming you don't already have one) that will be your best piece of equipment to purchase
>>
>>3031013

>a budget of around 30$ for a stabiliser.

Forget the stabilizer.

So you have a tripod? Put the camera on it and position the camera so it's pointing upwards at as close to 90deg you can. Now close the tripod with the camera on it like this.

Congratulations you now have a shoulder rig.

You'll need it as the C-AF on the X-T1 is pure balls and you'll need to manual focus. So have the tripod rig on your shoulder, one hand on the controls, the other on the lens.

Get out and practice with this setup.
>>
>>3031257
okay thanks for your advice, i know my budget is terrible, i'll test out just using a tripod, appreciate the advice!
>>
>>3031013
I bought a steadicam for £70 and it does the job, obviously not as good as a gimbal but for basic maneuvres it works fine.
>>
File: 1428266930147.jpg (16KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1428266930147.jpg
16KB, 251x251px
>>3031257
>pointing upwards at as close to 90deg
???
>>
>>3031685
He means parallel with your body I believe
>>
>>3031685

90deg angle, pointing upwards, assuming 0deg is perfectly even with the horizon.

Your brain. Use it.
>>
File: IMG_0912.jpg (731KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0912.jpg
731KB, 1000x750px
>>3031688
>>3031685

Let me clarify this for you.

Notice how the camera mount plate is even with the horizon in this orientation. You put the camera on the plate, pointing forward like this, then put the tripod on your shoulder like you would if you were using a normal shoulder rig. You now have a shitload more weight attached to the camera, three points of contact, and you can add weight to the back legs to balance it out.

90deg to the vertical axis of the tripod.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6
Camera SoftwarePhotos 2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:03:01 16:34:04
Exposure Time1/24 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness1.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height750
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3031013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brgmd0_J5gc

$650
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.