[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i recently purchased a 2nd hand rokinon 10mm lens for my canon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: 1469981834922.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1469981834922.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
So i recently purchased a 2nd hand rokinon 10mm lens for my canon t5i. The issue I am having is that when the i set the aperture to f/2.8, no matter what the distance the subjects at I cant seem to get anything into focus. The thing is though, when I have the aperture to f4 or f5.6 I can get things to go into focus. I am new to photography so I am not sure if this it is because I am doing something wrong or my lens is a lemon.
>>
>>3029438
I dont know if you got a lemon or not, but in live view try zooming in to pinpoint the focus. Just to see if it works.
>>
>>3029443
still nothing :/
its so odd though because there is no focusing issues at the other stops
>>
This is a photo board, post examples of the missed focus.
>>
File: IMG_8146.jpg (369KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8146.jpg
369KB, 5184x3456px
>>3029449
here is the blurred one

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:02:26 10:56:24
>>
File: IMG_8147.jpg (332KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8147.jpg
332KB, 5184x3456px
>>3029449
and here is the focused on, the first one is at f2.8 where as the other one is at f11 both focused on .24 meters

Image Created2017:02:26 10:56:25
>>
>>3029438
shameless bump
>>
Looks like it's just a shit lens. They're both focused roughly at the wall on the right but the f/2.8 is much softer. Even the f/11 shot is total shit in terms of sharpness.
>>
>>3029476
and i suppose there is no way to repair this lens even at a repair shop?
>>
>>3029480
Probably not worth the cost. Go outside and take some more photos with it at varying focus distances and maybe we can pin down what's wrong with it.
>>
File: IMG_8148.jpg (395KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8148.jpg
395KB, 5184x3456px
>>3029485
hopefully i did this correctly, but this one is from .27 m

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5i
Image Created2017:02:26 11:51:35
Exposure Time1/250 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: IMG_8149.jpg (348KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8149.jpg
348KB, 5184x3456px
>>3029485
.3m and i have more but as i got closer to 1m things just go worst

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2017:02:26 11:51:34
Exposure Time1/250 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
The lens is perfectly fine, and it's actually a great one.
Look up information about hyperfocal distance, it's all about that.

Long story short, the smaller your apperture the larger your depth of field, and the bigger your apperture the narrower the DOF will be. Distance to your subject affects the size of your DOF at any given apperture, making it narrower as you get closer.
Given all of the above, there's something called hyperfocal distance, and it can be calculated by using a formula with apperture, focal length and sensor size as variables. By using the focusing scale on your lens you set de focusing distance to match the hyperfocal, and that way everything from half that distamce to the infinity will be in focus.
There are online calculators for this like http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Say you have a canon (1.6x crop factor) with a 10mm lens at f/2.8. In that case, your hyperfocal distance will be 1.87m, therefore if you focus on something 1.87m away from the camera everything from 0.935m to infinity will be in focus. Stop down your apperture and that hyperfocal will get closer and closer, to the point that at f/11 the hyperfocal will be 0.48m, so if you focus on something half a meter away you will get everything in focus from 0.24m to infinity. Quite useful for street photography and video.

Try this and post results if you like, you'll see everything is fine.
>>
>>3029492
>http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
oh okay ill definitely study this then, thank you so much. i was using a canon 50mm and was worried that my new lens was broken.

thank you anon!
>>
>>3029487
>>3029490
Where are you getting these distance measurements from? Ignore that shit and look through your viewfinder. Are you able to get anything in focus?
>>
>>3029492
This might be his problem but he needs to start by getting something, anything in focus to be sure the lens isn't straight up fucked.
>>
>>3029500
um at f2.8 no... everything is blurry and the more i focus on things further, it seems to just get blurrier,
>>
>>3029500
the only time i get any sharpness is when i drop the stop to like f11 but even then its nothing super stunning
>>
>>3029508
Lens is fucked mate.
if you bought this on ebay/amazon/store, return it.
If you bought it off craigslist then you're probably fucked, see if you can get the receipt off the previous owner and claim on warranty.
>>
>>3029512
sigh... fair enough i doubt ill be able to get that so hopefully i can get it repaired granted now its going to cost me in total retail price. thank you anyways
>>
>>3029512
i was able to fix it! i removed the bayonet and then stuck some paper to get everything in focus. now when the distance says 24 mm, i can focus on an object that is that distance.
>>
>>3029559
can you elaborate on this
what exactly did you do
>>
>>3029587
yeah sure, so what i did was loosen the three screw on the bayonet(lens mount), then i put it on the camera. i took a ruler and measured out 24mm since thats the minimum focus distance and then moved the lens around until that object
>>
>>3029587
is in focus, at that point i unscrew it and try to recreate that shift with some paper underneath the bayonet/mount, then tighten the screws down. its not the prettiest job ever, but its not that noticeable either.
>>
File: IMG_8163.jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8163.jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
>>3029587
just for reference, and although i didnt really try to get perfect focus, but here is how the lens captures now. when i really try to focus its sharp as hell.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2017:02:26 14:33:27
Exposure Time1/400 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3029598
Better, but now it's tilted against the focal plane as you can see how the right and left sides of the garage/covered parking areas go out of focus even though they're on the same focal plane as the center. Your lens is fucked but if you can make it work for your purposes then rock on.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.