[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever lost a large number of photos because of SD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: ø.jpg (261KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ø.jpg
261KB, 1500x1500px
Have you ever lost a large number of photos because of SD or HDD failure?
>>
>>3026526
it depends
Delet this, post your faggottry nowhere, get off the board.
>>
Fuck SD cards. They're too small, fragile, require a case, and are finicky with many card readers. CF 4 LYFE NIGGA.
>>
>>3026526
Yes, I was an idiot and tried to move my laptop forgetting that I had a 3TB hard drive attached to it, it dropped on the floor and was broken. It had my ENTIRE library of photos on it. I got the photos recovered and cost me over $2400. Learned my fucking lesson. Now I back them up on two different hard drives that never move from their spot in a safe place where they can't fall, and I only use portable external drives to work somewhere other than my desk. Never again
>>
>SD or HDD failure?

protip: if you shoot digital, YOU are the failure.
>>
>>3026537
>He bought into the film meme
>>
>>3026536
The same story here. External hdd was attached to a laptop and it swinged and hit the bed as I was moving it.

It didn't have all of my photos, but a still a noticeable amount of them were there. I'm waiting to go to Russia to get the external drive fixed there, because prices in Europe are way too fucking high. Never again would I use something like external hdds without doing backups. Now I understand why people say, that sys admin that doesn't do backups, never lost his files.
>>
>>3026611
Yeah, it's painful to hear that hard drive drop... The best solution if you can afford it is really to do an online archive. It's slow to upload, but you know your stuff should be safe essentially forever
>>
>>3026526
I lost an entire 2-day film shoot because of write lag. Never again will I be so careless.
>>
>>3026719
What do you mean by write lag?
>>
>>3026537
this
>>3026540
just get XQD bro, I herd they got this new 3M spray on treaatment you can apply that ameliorates the affects of rotational velocidensity by 12 moonunits/season.,
its in all the best digitals
>>
>Falling into the digislug pit

Not even once
>>
>>3026722
He ripped the card out while it was still busy and shoved it up his ass.
>>
I accidentally messed up my backup partition in HDD #1 and dropped backup HDD #2 in the process of copying data to HDD #1. Switched to Amazon cloud drive since.
>>
>>3026526
No
Redundant raid makes everything twice as fast and safe.
>>
>>3026526
My old D70 ate the fucking cf cards like some kind of cfookiemonster, lost some nice urbex shit back in the day when that was popular...
>>
>>3026739
raid is not a backup
>>
>>3026526
No. Since the times of floppy dicks, I had a backup for my important stuff (my photos are included in that).

But I lost like two photos to a SD card error, and a few more to dumb interaction with storage.

Some of you fine people reading this here might be interesting in using the open source syncthing. Works rather well.
>>
>>3026730
>just get XQD bro, I herd they got this new 3M spray on treaatment you can apply that ameliorates the affects of rotational velocidensity by 12 moonunits/season.,
>its in all the best digitals

This is the talk of a man that cant wrap his head around simple aspects of digital photography, I've known people like you before.

>>3026737
He must be retarded, because that's recoverable
>>
>>3026722
The card couldn't keep up with the sensor so dropped frames. Easily fixed by snapping the card in half and throwing it against a wall.
>>
Yep, lost all of it
>>
>>3026783
How is having 2 hdd with the same data not a backup?
>>
ITT: digicucked
>>
It has not and will never happen.

>All my photos are on my laptop
>Everything is backed up on an external drive
>I have a second external drive with everything at my parents house half a mile away in case of a fire or something at my own house
>All new photos are stored on two SD cards on my camera and they stay there until both backup drives have been updated (typically monthly)
>Everything is also backed up on Google Drive
>>
When will these digislimes learns
>>
Dropped my 2tb external and lost everything.

>and nothing of value was lost

Got home, fired up my mass storage computer with like 10tb storage, used FileScavenger to get it all back bits at a time took a week. double archived everything on local storage plus Amazon cloud.
>>
>>3026810
>cant wrap his head around simple aspects of digital photography
Like that your "photos" never truly existed at all?
That they were only ever instructions for a computer display?
That your "camera" doesn't capture light, it simply reads it?
>digiplebs will defend this
>>
>>3026526
No, becasue I'm not a retard so I make backups.

I still have the very first digital picture I've ever made, from 1997.
>>
>>3026873
>How is having 2 hdd with the same data not a backup?

Because you can not "back up" from mistakes.

Do something retarded -> lose everything.
Get ransomware -> lose everything.
Nigger steals your PC -> lose everything.

These scenarios are not as likely as a hard drive failures (which are a 100% certainty given enough time), but these things can happen with at least a couple % likelihood.
>>
>>3026873
if they're in the same enclosure you can break them both at once. there are also more marginal events (and you can only really address those with off-site storage) but that's the main one -- if you drop your external HDD, you're fucked
it's also worth mentioning that the hard drives in a raid enclosure are usually the same make and age and are used roughly the same, so they can fail at about the same time.
also raid doesn't fix the case where you accidentally delete your own stuff (user error)
>>
>>3026973
aaaand that picture is shit
>>
>>3026973
please post it. I would like to see it out of curiosity
>>
You are not truly safe until you have your photos in three places gentlemen. It's when not if you will have some kind of failure. Hard drive are cheap now , no real excuse.
>>
>>3026526
When I shoot paid events. I typically use smaller cards, usually 8GB in case of a card failure, I know that increases the chances of card failure by using several cards but it seems to work out okay.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.