[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

okay /p/, my nephew expressed that he wants a camera, so I wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: EntryLevel[1].jpg (592KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
EntryLevel[1].jpg
592KB, 2048x2048px
okay /p/, my nephew expressed that he wants a camera, so I wanted to get him one for his birthday. Can anyone recommend me a decent entry-level DSLR or mirrorless camera for under $500-600?
>>
well, how old is youre nephew?
>>
>spending $600 on a nephew

how many times did you have special secret uncle wrestling matches?
>>
>>3025869

Turning 14

>>3025870

Projecting much? I didn't get him a christmas present and nothing for his birthday last year, so I'm kinda making up for it all at once.
>>
>>3025870
>people spends more than $25 for ANYTHING? WTF
anon stop being so poor.
>>
>>3025872
is this the first time he's expressed interest in photography? has he owned/taken care of a ``real camera'' (i.e. not his iphone) before?

if this is going to be his first foray into photography, consider this:
1. there's a very good chance he will totally lose interest in the next couple of months.
2. even if he doesn't lose interest, kids are rough on their toys. strong possibility that if he doesn't have prior knowledge of how to treat a camera, he will bust it before his next birthday.
3. and even if he retains interest in photography & keeps good care of the camera, this is going to be a temporary stepping stone camera. after he knows more about photography he'll have a more serious idea of the sort of cam that will work best for him, and at that point he'll probably want to upgrade and move on from this one.

with this in mind, I would suggest maybe spending less on this camera. then offer to use the price difference to go shopping for gear together: he can buy a camera bag and shit now, or he can put the $$ towards his "upgrade" camera, or both. That way you guys get to spend some fun one-on-one time, too, and you get a chance to be the cool uncle.
>>
>>3025921

>is this the first time he's expressed interest in photography?

Has been going on about it for a few months now

>has he owned/taken care of a ``real camera'' (i.e. not his iphone) before?

He's used his dad's camera before, but hasn't had one of his own aside from a shitty point and shoot

>1. there's a very good chance he will totally lose interest in the next couple of months.

Yeah, I know this unfortunately reality

>2. even if he doesn't lose interest, kids are rough on their toys. strong possibility that if he doesn't have prior knowledge of how to treat a camera, he will bust it before his next birthday.

he's actually pretty good at taking care of electronics and anything he has, that's why I'm even considering this purchase

>3. and even if he retains interest in photography & keeps good care of the camera, this is going to be a temporary stepping stone camera. after he knows more about photography he'll have a more serious idea of the sort of cam that will work best for him, and at that point he'll probably want to upgrade and move on from this one.

Of course. But this is why I want to get him a relatively decent camera that can last him at least 2 years even if he already knows what he wants to upgrade to next, his parents can pay for it.

>with this in mind, I would suggest maybe spending less on this camera. then offer to use the price difference to go shopping for gear together: he can buy a camera bag and shit now, or he can put the $$ towards his "upgrade" camera, or both. That way you guys get to spend some fun one-on-one time, too, and you get a chance to be the cool uncle.

While I would love to do this, I work a lot and we live a few hours away, so I don't get to see him often. This is why I came here for help to try and buy him something that will last a good while as he's learning the ins and outs.
>>
Sony a6000 used through Amazon fulfillment center as well as the Sony 35mm 1.8. They'll be good to go for a while.
>>
hasselblad
>>
>>3025867
A6000.
>>
>>3025921
>1. there's a very good chance he will totally lose interest in the next couple of months.
Maybe? But there's no reason why he wouldn't bring a MILC to a trip or birthday.

Cameras are less risky than other devices with regards to never being used at all.

> 2. even if he doesn't lose interest, kids are rough on their toys. strong possibility that if he doesn't have prior knowledge of how to treat a camera, he will bust it before his next birthday.
14 years old, man. I've managed to explain to a 8 year old how not to break a camera, a 14 year old will manage just fine.

> this is going to be a temporary stepping stone camera.
I'll point out that half of any gear thread on /p/ seems to result in people getting *cheaper* and worse cameras ('cause a large fraction of /p/ is apparently really poor).

A A6000 or K-3 or something is a serious enough camera to do a lot with. Won't require an immediate upgrade. But of course we will all upgrade eventually.
>>
>>3025867
sony a6000 or pentax k-50
>>
The cheapest canon DSLR you can get. Also, give a new camera. Kids don't like used stuff.
>>
>>3026329
fuck off, get the kid the best camera possible, not some overpriced new shit
>>
>>3026235
He's fucking 14, not 24. He doesn't need a 'serious' camera, and being interested in XYZ for a couple of months is not enough time to know whether he's gonna drop it like a hot potato once he gets the idea that playing the electric guitar is cooler after all.
Don't be a fucking retard like. Get him something cheaper he can play with, point and shoots aren't 'crappy' for learning basic photography. I started out with a p&s, odds are if he only uses his to take snapshits of footballs and his teacher's tits he'll probably use the mirrorless the same way.

But it's very obvious you've already made up your mind and are just looking for validation at this point, so on your own head be it.
>>
Just buy him a vape. He'll thank you later.
>>
Get him an instax. It's cheap and fun. He can use it to pick up girls and get all up in that teenage cunny.
>>
File: frontview.jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
frontview.jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
5d mk1 is an option. A bit more challenging than a newer camera to use, but delivers some great full frame images. You also get a large varity of lenses for futureproofing that are also compatible with the newest top of the line canons.
One thing to take into consideration is its lack of video though, the mk2 adds the video and a few other bells and wistles but costs around 600 for the body alone
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 218x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 218x200px
>>3028815
This is the advice you should take
>>
>>3028768

OP here, that person you quoted wasn't me. I still haven't gotten this kid anything because i'm waiting it out to see how patient he'll be and if he'll still have that interest. Been reading this thread and taking everyone's opinion into consideration
>>
When I was his age (maybe slightly younger), I told my parents I wanted to take up photography, so they got me a disposable camera at a gas station. By the time I had finished taking all of the pictures it had, I was completely bored with photography.

I had pretty smart parents.
>>
>>3029427
why are you here
>>
>>3029816
Because half a dozen years later I did start getting into photography
>>
>>3025945
If he's a kid, why don't you get him one of those instant cameras? I think they're fairly cheap, and being a kid he can lose interest at any time, so having the result of his work at the moment would be good for him to gain more interest on it.

I guess you want to get him a camera he can mess up with, but having that much chance of screwing the camera could be a problem in the short term (i.e. breaking an expensive lense, using the lense in the wrong way, messing with the sensor, etc..)
>>
>>3029427
Well, the equipment didn't help either. As kids we want everything at the moment, so having to take the camera to be processed, wait for it, and then see the result only to find out you messed up every picture doesn't add to the experience.

I don't blame your parents, I'd do that too for my own kid.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.