[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is Nikon Kill? Canon can't be far behind, why would anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

is Nikon Kill?

Canon can't be far behind, why would anyone buy a compact camera now with phones producing good enough shots. DSLRs are btfu by Sony mirrorless, even in pro imaging. The crushing disappointment of Nikon 1 and Canon M, were some of the first nails in Canikons casket. Can they ever recover?
>>
imagine if digital died and we saw a resurrection in film
>>
>>3021947
Cameras will die and we'll see an upbringing in phones. You'll get CANON printed around your phone lens. That's it.
>>
>>3021945
>is Nikon Kill?
No.
>>
>with phones producing good enough shots.
>good enough shots with a wasp dick sized sensor
luled. also bait
>>
File: 1482453573503.png (164KB, 2044x2024px) Image search: [Google]
1482453573503.png
164KB, 2044x2024px
>>3021945
I think you're on the wrong board. Understandable since /o/ is right next to /p/ on the above board catalog. This board isn't for shitposting like your GM vs Nissan threads, however.
>>
>>3021945
LMFAO! The reason Nikon is going belly up is cause Canon is stealing their business.
>>
canon just announced a new mirrorless camera a few hours ago. thankfully they sell enough one dial gimped plastic crap in box store chains that they can hemorrhage a lot before they admit defeat.
>>
>>3022338

>Canon is stealing their business

More like Sony. They went from Pentax levels of laughable market share to a close third in only a few years.

Wont be long before they pass up Nikon.
>>
>>3022391

>close third

The sonygger delusion is real.
>>
>>3021945
we're on the bust side of the cycle. the whole camera market is shrinking.
>>
>>3021945
>DSLRs are btfu by Sony mirrorless
Not really. Your paper statistics aren't reflective of the market.
>>
>>3022430

It is though. the only advantage dslr has left right now is focus speed and "lol pro" status.

I only use dslr these days to look pro for the client then once everybody is not paying attention I take out my A7.
>>
>>3022458
That doesn't matter when the market is still buying much more Canikon than Sony.
Beats headphones are the shittiest brand you could possibly buy and yet they still beat the competition without a sweat.
>>
>>3022461
>That doesn't matter when the market is still buying much more Canikon than Sony.

IT does matter if you are not an instant-gratification nigger. Just because you are market leader now doesn't mean shit if your products are shit. people are gonna jump system and then your fucked because 95% of your sale is from system users.
>>
>>3022462
Wrong. People are going to buy the trusty brands. Maybe Sony will take over. It probably won't. Funny to see how easy you sperg out because of camera platforms though, I bet your photos are shit.
>>
>>3022467
>People are going to buy the trusty brands.

Sony is a trusted brand you dumb fuck holy shit how fucking stupid are you?

>making dumb shit argument
>get called out
>hurr you sperg

overcompensating dslr diddlers detected
>>
>>3022470
Not in the camera market. Most people don't even know that they make cameras.

I don't get you sonyggers. Nobody spergs out over their cameras as much as you do.
>>
File: flip-off-derp.jpg (15KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
flip-off-derp.jpg
15KB, 240x240px
>>3022471
>Most people don't even know that they make cameras.

wow you are truly beyond retarded
>>
File: 1477936498894.jpg (32KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
1477936498894.jpg
32KB, 640x420px
>>3022474
shit boy, you sure showed me
>>
>>3022471
It's the other way around. Sony and Canon are the big 2 in the social media market.

Nikon has tried to create an entrance into the Action cam market to counter this, but they failed horribly.
>>
>>3022475

how did they ship 2million units if nobody even knew they sell cameras?
>>
This is what Nikon was missing. They ignored the broadcasting market, while Canon developed their own technology for this market. And this culminated in the dual pixel AF technology.

This would have consequences later, as Canon made a future prediction:
>In the future there will be no more stills cameras, everybody will shoot video and extract stills from there.
So they gradually gave their consumer stills cameras more and more video features, trickled down from their broadcast recorders.
And in Nikon land nothing happened.

In the meantime the consumer market changes. Social media gets more and more video heavy because everyday consumers want to record their life in video instead of stills.

Canon sort of got lucky they made that retarded future prediction. By coincidence they managed to cling on to the consumer evolution wagon.

Nikon ignored the video technology, and when they decide they needed the Keymission line and the DL line to keep up with Sony and Canon, their engineers had next no no expertise in Video.
The DL series became a disaster which had to be kept locked in the secret basement of their laboratory.
The Keymission was less of a disaster, but still bad enough that everybody considered it a failure.

And here they stand today.
>>
>>3022458
Sonyggers always worrying about status and looks, couldn't you have bought a nice purse or something instead?
>>
File: Sony-FS7_1.jpg (79KB, 702x689px) Image search: [Google]
Sony-FS7_1.jpg
79KB, 702x689px
>>3022489
lol canon
why do they even try anymore?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width702
Image Height689
>>
>>3022601
The FS series is definitely the superior video recorders.

But Canon was lucky they had theirs. It's what made the difference between Canon and Nikon.
Today Nikon is giving up on the consumer market entirely. You know the whole thing with the "Lower revenue/Higher profit" means exactly that. No more low end Nikon stuff, no more Nikon 1, no more Nikon DL, no more silly Keymissions that can't do the mission.
>>
>>3022394

Sony is closer to Nikon than Nikon is to Canon.
>>
>>3022489
>In the future there will be no more stills cameras, everybody will shoot video and extract stills from there.
It literally was Red's slogan for their "dsmc" marketing construct way before Canon introduced c-series
>>3022601
I'm a Sony mirrorless fanboy, but their video\cinema cameras are good only on paper. In reality, Canon's color science (especially with introducing of c-log 3) and perfect run and gun feature set blow out of the water everything Sony did. The picture that you can get from c300 II even without using raw is almost on par with top cinema camera's like alexa (especially highlight rolloff and, most important motion, it really has this fucking cinematic motion) while sony produces smeary plastic shit (but has increadible slow-mo and pixel binning while canon fucking crops to hd)
>>
>>3022645
>c-log 3
Is it any different from S-log 3?

I'm not sure how canon's "colour science" is relevant when you're one who grades the colours anyway.
>>
>>3022653
Canon have much wider gamut and bigger DR, which leads to smoother and more pleasant highlights and overall tone
You grade based on something and can change things only to a point
Here's good video on topic with decent color science differences explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3HiBgDLeg
>>
>>3022489
>everyone will shoot video and extract stills

Considering the amount DR that stills cameras have over most video and how large a video file would have to be to keep up with resolution on 24+ mp cameras: that sounds like a collosal waste, as well as a way to be incredibly lazy.
>>
>>3022470
Absolute imbecile. Do you have a fucking neuron in your stone brain? You dumbass.
>>
For my cousin, a camera either means Fuji or Canon, though she only used small compacts.
My aunt calls every camera "Canon", "Sony" is nothing more than a dvd player and the kids plaything.
At the store if somebody mentions Sony it is either a Playstation or a TV. Nobody everyday normie thinks about Sony as a camera maker.
>>
>>3022703
Heh, even in your anecdote you prove their point.

Nikon is halfway into the grave as a consumer brand.
>>
>>3022703
brand awareness only goes so far, just ask Polaroid and Kodak. At one time they were the 2 most recognizable photo brands in the world
>>
>>3022714
The know Nikon is a camera brand. Oddly enough when I mentioned (after showing some shots around on the phone) that my camera is a Pentax they thought I was some kind of uber photographer god. It took some explaining that I am a hobbyist and I only have a cheap used entry body.

>>3022716
Yep, same here in the 90s. Either someone was rich and had a Polaroid or you had some generic p&s and you ran down to the corner shop for a few rolls of Kodak. Pro level was having a western p&s, rest of the guys had some soviet POS.
>>
>>3022720
>The know Nikon is a camera brand.
Not for long. Consumers will over time forget things that are irrelevant in their life, especially without constant reminders from commercials.

And cancellation of consumer products like the DL will only hasten that process.
>>
>>3022722
Papers and news sites are all over with Nikon adverts and the misleading consumer bait snapbridge ones as well. It holds much better as a known camera brand than Sony. Like I said above, Sony is kids toys and TV. Only. Ever. That is how consumerism works, mate.
>>
>>3022731
Let's just hope Nikon leadership doesn't live in the same bubble as you.
>>
>>3022739
By the looks of it, they live in their own bubble, well separated from reality and any other parts of the world.
>>
>>3022756
>>3022739
And their solution is?

inb4 yet another bullshit mirrorless offering
>>
>>3022938
>And their solution is?
To drop low end and retreat to small volume high end market with more profits per sale.
>>
>>3022954
Yeah I'd actually love that. More serious lenses and bodies. Less D3xxx shit. Too bad that'll never happen.
>>
>>3022957
>Too bad that'll never happen.
They cancelled the DL cameras and publicly announced they are retreating to low revenue mode.
It's happening right before your eyes. Nikon will be shrinking and shrinking.
>>
>>3021945
>canon is making mad bucks with its printer
nikon fags on suicide watch.
>>
>>3022489
>And in Nikon land nothing happened

To be fair, Nikon has their fingers in stuff like Semiconductors or even rifle scopes. The Nikon Buckmaster is considered to be one of the best scopes for the money.

Granted, that aint gonna save the company. And Sony of course has their fingers in loads of other stuff. What's Canon do besides cameras and camera lenses? Doesn't matter - I would argue Canon's got the best $1000 package you can get with something like a T5i / T6i and this bundle right here:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B01LEEY6CS/ref=pd_sim_421_5?_encoding=UTF8

50mm Prime f1.8 and the 10-18mm wide angle? Together? For $350?

Shit, Sony's 50mm Prime 1.8 starts at $200, and that's basically their cheapest one. Maybe there are better Sony bundles out there or something for their APS-C models, but Canon has a better entry point for enthusiasts and I think that's where they shine outside of the higher end DSLR stuff. The full frame and L-series is really a thing unto itself and IMO doesn't even enter the "enthusiast" price range. It's just too expensive.
>>
>>3022961
Budget point and shoots are fading everywhere because of smart phones so it's not just Nikon doing that.

One has to wonder how much of the low end they'll cut off. Entry level DSLRs are still incredibly capable and fantastic gateways to "serious" photography so I don't see those going away.

I would like to see more serious bodies like the D500 and nice new lenses like the 70-200 2.8 VRIII and 300 f/4. The prices are high because they are such good products. If there is one thing Nikon can always do it's make great lenses and bodies. Be a shame if those died.
>>
>>3022971
>Nikon Group is currently under a fundamental company-wide restructuring to improve its corporate value as shifting from a strategy pursuing revenue growth to one pursuing profit enhancement.
Nikon 1 is killed.
Nikon DL is killed.
Nikon Coolpix will probably die too.
I don't know about dslr entry. Time will tell.

I think they have gone insane though. They could have at least tried to sell the DL product which they spent resources developing.
The worst that could happen is lowering the prices on them and get good recognition as value products, but they refuse even that.
>>
>>3022971

entry dslr is being killed by mirrorless.

unless you're a pro there's no reason to use a dslr
>>
>>3022984
Canon's isn't killed yet, they are still doing fine.
>>
>>3022973
>I think they have gone insane though. They could have at least tried to sell the DL product which they spent resources developing.

no they couldn't, retard. the product is defective and nothing kills your brand faster than releasing a defective product.

you are throwing your name after a bad product line.

there's a reason some people are execs while you sit on your butt spewing shittery from your whoremouth
>>
File: 7008-14652567467436411_origin.png (105KB, 975x663px) Image search: [Google]
7008-14652567467436411_origin.png
105KB, 975x663px
>>3022970
Nikon threw away all their market share in steppers years ago, they let ASML blow them the fuck out. I don't think Nikon's semiconductors division has turned a profit in years. Nikon is really almost entirely a camera company and they will probably live and die by camera sales. Canon has printers and stuff to lean on, it's a pretty big portion of the company.

Anyways, I hope Nikon doesn't go the way of Kodak and Pentax and all those, it would be a shame. I really like all my Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, and no matter what I still have all my gear and there will be loads of used gear available for years to come. Still, it's going to suck if I have to switch to some other shit eventually if one day DSLRs turn into expensive boutique bullshit like rangefinders did. I guess this is what Nikon deserves for being unable to compete, but I don't understand why you people are celebrating the camera market shrinking and consolidating because that's not good for anyone.
>>
>>3022986
>Canon's isn't killed yet, they are still doing fine.

canon isn't killed but entry dlsr is dying a long cancerous death
>>
>>3022987
>the product is defective
It was just a goddamn image processor. Fix it, or use the already excellent image processor from Nikon 1.

How hard could it be?
>>
>>3022988

>digital became a thing
>those that did not adapt died off
>video became a thing
>those that did not adapt died off

it's the circle of life.
>>
>>3022991
>It was just a goddamn image processor. Fix it, or use the already excellent image processor from Nikon 1.

you don't actually know the extent of the defect though.

those that do decided it isn't worth it.

maybe if you think you can do better you should submit your resume to nikon
>>
>>3022988
>Nikon threw away all their market share in steppers years ago, they let ASML blow them the fuck out.
Man that's really a shame. Everytime Sony or Intel or AMD is building/Upgrading a new factory, ASML earns billions on them, selling them those production machines.

Nikon missed a bunch of billion $ opportunities.
>>
>>3022995
>those that do decided it isn't worth it.
Based on a retarded suicide strategy

>shifting from a strategy pursuing revenue growth
>>
>>3022998

>have proven profitable segment where there's only one competitor and most people in it have 1000s+ invested and locked in
>retreating from a segment where there are multiple competitors, profit margin is low and people jump system like your sister jumps black cocks
>suicidal

you are fucking retarded go drink from a piss bottle
>>
File: band aid.jpg (77KB, 900x516px) Image search: [Google]
band aid.jpg
77KB, 900x516px
Its too bad, Canon missed the mark with the 5d m4. They are still selling but the camera is shit.

-banding sensor
-old 2010 tech that limits fps
-still noisey high iso.
-not a video guy, but there is a problem with the behemoth video files
-and cropped video on a full frame sensor.

Hopefully the 5d m5 will fix this issue- especially he high iso problems.
>>
>>3023001
>multiple competitors, profit margin is low
But that's the market where a lot of your necessary revenue comes from.

If you don't have the courage to compete there and BTO the others, you will slowly be forgotten as a brand in the consumer mind.
>>
>>3023005
The video files are retarded because they refuse to use modern video codec like h.264.

>5d m5
Bro... That will take another 4 years.
>>
>>3022962
tfw camera makers are making mad bucks on their non-digital photography stuff
>>
>>3023007
>But that's the market where a lot of your necessary revenue comes from.

no it isn't.

>If you don't have the courage to compete there and BTO the others, you will slowly be forgotten as a brand in the consumer mind.

doesn't matter because leicas were never consumer cameras but the brand was always in the consumer mind. just advertise in national geographic or some shit and have 50% of the pro segment use your cameras.

not to mention consumer mind doesn't mean shit because you are not selling to them because as i say they are unfaithful stacies just like your sister
>>
Nikon's only hope now is a D900 that can BTFO 5Dm4.
>>
File: 15408493498_4b6dcaa0bd_z.jpg (68KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
15408493498_4b6dcaa0bd_z.jpg
68KB, 640x428px
>>3021945

I wonder why they don';t want to use that codec.

>>3021945
Nikon is not kill. the d750 is the best camera out there. Great high iso clarity. I like full frame so if Nikon comes out with a full frame version of the d750, I might switch from canon.

The image is a high iso shot from a random flicker page. I have the 5dm2, and am pissed the 5dm4 has shit iso. Might switch.
>>
>>3023024
>I wonder why they don';t want to use that codec.
Because Nikon suck dicks at Video, so they don't see them as a threat. And at the same time they don't want to cannibalise their broadcaster camcorders.

So their solution was to suck dick, but suck a little bit less dick than Nikon.
>>
>>3023024

d750 is fool frame.
>>
>>3023014
>leicas were never consumer cameras but the brand was always in the consumer mind.
They're not. Nobody knows what Leica is.
Consumers would rather buy another car than spending 10 grands on a Leica.

The thing you don't get is Nikon had a Fast sensor in the Nikon 1, with PDAF. And a working image processor.
All they needed was to take those components, and use them in the Nikon DL series.

Sure, the sensor isn't as fancy as Sony's, sure it doesn't has 250 FPS slow motion. But they could have still kicked Canon's butt and compete with the G7x line.
Their Nikon 1 sensor isn't the latest, but it was probably cheaper to manufacture, and you didn't have to Sink more cost into a brand new image processor, you could just recycle the Nikon 1 processor.
Then add that shit with a good, high quality fast zoom lens, and there you have a decent consumer camera.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2014-09-30T09:02:20+02:00
FlashNo Flash Function
Image Width1038
Image Height586
>>
>>3023040

have you told the nikon board about this? you could save the company.
>>
wow every thread I open on /p/ now, its some sony guy bashing other brands
>>
>>3023062
How sad. Do you need a hug Anon?
>>
>>3023067
not really. I have canonfag blowing me right now so Im settled atm
>>
>>3023023
>needing this when the 5D IV is already little more than a D810 lite
>>
>>3022994
And everyone stopped walking places once they figured out how to run.

Oh wait a second
>>
When was the initial launch of the DL cameras supposed to be?
>>
File: nikon-dl-compared.jpg (108KB, 1170x878px) Image search: [Google]
nikon-dl-compared.jpg
108KB, 1170x878px
>What a shame. I was interested in the 18-50 as a backpacking/compact travel camera.
>. . does not have an 18-50 compact camera
>Yeah. I had my eye on the 18-50 also. Bummer.
>I wanted the 18-50.
What the fuck is this. Why are people interested in 18-50 over 24-85?

I don't get it. 24-85 is far more versatile and 200 dollars cheaper.
>>
>>3023190
launch date was moved twice over 2016
>>
>>3023198
some people like it wide

i know i do
>>
>>3023235
I bet you most of them compared the physical lens size while collapsed and jumped to conclusion the 18-50 is larger and therefore better.
>>
>>3023198
>THICCCC
Jesus didn't realize that. RX100 fits in my pocket snuggly. Those won't
>>
>>3023237
or could it be that there's nothing like it on the market?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.