[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never used flashes before How do I add off camera flashes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

I've never used flashes before How do I add off camera flashes to this bad boy? What do I need? Any flashes I should look into or are strobes much better?
>>
>>3021448
the sunny 16 rule, i.e. lift up your shirt on a sunny day
>>
You need some type of wireless triggers. With a cable you plug one into the PC port of the blad. You plug the other trigger into the flash with a cable. A great affordable flash would be the Vivitar 285.

You'll also need a way to meter the flashes. Best way would be to use your digital camera (assuming you have one) to do test shots. Second best option would be to buy a flash meter. Worst option would be to get a Polaroid back and do test shots on polaroids.
>>
File: vivitar.jpg (18KB, 300x400px)
vivitar.jpg
18KB, 300x400px
>>3021448
Just buy an old eletronic flash with a PC cable on ebay and you're good.

Those old flahs units have like a scale on the back to know what f-number you should use at a given distance and iso.

Since you have a leaf shutter you will sync at all speeds.
>>
>>3021575
Yeah but i want to to be off camera and also work with my digital cameras
>>
File: uni400jrg1.jpg (97KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
uni400jrg1.jpg
97KB, 1000x1000px
>>3021448
>>3021714
off camera flash is a pretty big category that can range in utility and price from a hundred or so dollars to tens of thousands

hot shoe flashes like the Vivitar 283 pictured >>3021575 or the better 285HV, will work just fine on both the blad and a digital. The HV has a lower trigger voltage so it is safe with Canon cameras, Nikon has a surge protector built into the body.

Monoblocks and Pack+Heads are a way to get a lot more power and more options to shape your light and can be quite cheap like Alien Bees or ungodly expensive like Broncolor, I am a big fan of the mid range yet still high quality Dynalite line.
they will also all work with both film and digital cameras but I recommend taking a class or getting to know someone who uses them and will teach you before you dive into one of these kits.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:04:19 13:09:10
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
>>
>>3022580
>Dynalite
>3000 dollars on B&H for basic kit

Holy fuck why do I have to make monopoly money.

I'd love to do more portaiture indoors, so that maybe I could transition into doing some basic professional shit like headshots. The issue is that I am down a lot of money because I got hit by a car. Was aiming for both a digital camera and then, further down the line, an AlienBees setup.

Are flash heads essential for making a bit of side cash from photography? I don't even know what people do in small-time professional photography. All I know is that I want to break into it to make some side cash to further pay for my photography hobby, especially my film equipment.
>>
>>3022587
essential no but it helps a lot and if you want to control light or work indoor, its a must.
photography is only a good business for a select few, for most it is just a moderately poor paying job. for myself it just pays for my gear and allows me to use pro gear for my own non commercial work
>>
>>3022588
That's what I'm saying. I want to get your gig. I realize that it's exceptionally unlikely that I'll ever go complete pro. In the least I could fund my personal projects, of which I have a few that need little bits and pieces or machining work. Currently looking to build my own LF camera with some special boards.
>>
>>3022580
I've been looking at alien bees, got any advice for me?
>>
>>3023364
never used them but friends have / shoot with them. they feel real cheap to me, because they are.
they are fine as long as you look at them as disposable flashes
>>
>>3022587
Buy a Godox set for starters then.

Then attach Broncolor light modifiers.
>>
>>3021714
coiled pc sync cable
>>
>>3021714
Buy this +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPH2a_3Yr28
>>
I have, for a few years, tried using canon flashes with wireless remotes and big film cameras (all sorts of stuff from hasselblad to 1910's shutters and speed graphics), and honestly, it just wasn't worth the effort. So many bits and pieces to go wrong, so many adapters and shutters, I ended up having to take each photo 4 times because first only the left flash fired, then no flashes fired because they weren't loaded yet, then they fired but too early, ... and even if all came together, I ended up not liking the style at all.
>>
ive used one of this with some elinchrom strobes conecting the pc port from the lens to the generator.
>>
>>3024460
I don't believe you. Any camera with a PC sync and a leaf shutter will work just fine with any type of eletronic flash.
>>
File: _0015591.jpg (189KB, 753x950px) Image search: [Google]
_0015591.jpg
189KB, 753x950px
>>3025004
not entirely, it depends on the style of sync, X will work with every modern flash but M was for oldschool flashbulbs that took a while to get to full power, so it triggered early.

but more than anything I think his problem was to many adapters / points of failure causing one flash to fire but not the other, or none at all.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH
Camera ModelGXR S10
Camera SoftwareGXR Firmware
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:02:19 15:13:36
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/6.7
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/6.7
Brightness-1.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length14.10 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1280
Image Height960
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.