[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Sony A Mount Be honest, is it a dead system? How long until

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: sony-a99-with-grip.jpg (50KB, 550x450px) Image search: [Google]
sony-a99-with-grip.jpg
50KB, 550x450px
>Sony A Mount

Be honest, is it a dead system? How long until Sony kills it off completely?

>They wont

Why not? Once mirrorless can focus as fast and as reliable as DSLRs why would they keep the A mount system around?

>bigger battery
>ergonomics

hurrdurr they can add a bigger battery and make a more ergonomic E mount camera, even the new EM1II is reportedly getting over 1000 shots per charge (and its only rated at 400).

This isnt a troll thread, I like the A Mount system, but I cant pull the trigger on one with knowing that it could be killed off at any moment (especially with Sonys history).

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareACD Systems Digital Imaging
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2014:10:03 00:10:40
Image Width550
Image Height450
>>
Wtf are you talking about
>>
>>3012242
It's a dead system *once* Sony kills it off or releases stopped for some years.

> Once mirrorless can focus as fast and as reliable as DSLRs
This already happened. A-mount is still not dead yet.

But obviously the E-mount is more attractive to most at this point.

> I cant pull the trigger on one with knowing that it could be killed off at any moment
So what? If you like your A-mount, you use it until you no longer like it, then you just migrate.

Or you get an E-mount or CaNikon or something now and hope they don't die. If they die anyhow, you migrate. Very simple.
>>
Real talk, it's not like the Alpha mount needs anything more.
>>
>>3012242
It's a complete system, why would they kill it off. And as sony actually make their cameras with their own parts, bringing out new bodies isn't half as costly as it would be for say nikon. It's highly unlikely we'll see "new" lenses, but apparently the popular lenses are getting a refresher. And don't expect more than one ff and one crop body.

>could be killed off at any moment cos sony
You mean the people that saved a mount from extinction and have never shut shop on a camera division? Canon are the flaky ones, nikon and Pentax mounts are desperate for a refresh. Sony are safe.
>>
>>3012291
>>3012277
>>3012267
>>3012251

Thanks for the replies.

I believe Australia no longer imports A mount bodies (I believe the a99 II may be available though).. Can anyone give me an update about the situation on this? I know they definitely stopped importing them at least for some time because the a77 II was unavailable and I contacted Sony and they confirmed it (I also spoke to others who told me the same thing).
>>
>>3012307
You'll be hard pressed to find a physical store selling 1st party A mount lenses. You can still get a lot of them new on Amazon here in the US, but places like Best Buy have long dropped them for a full E mount lineup.
Also a lot of the lenses, disregarding the Zeiss and GMs, are simply re-released Minoltas that you can find for cheap.
>>
Doesn't the full frame e mount have real huge trouble with corner sharpness using ultra wide angle lenses? Even the official sony 16-35 looks like it gets unreasonably blurry in the corners and all the adapted uwa glass turns into a smudge in the corners.
>>
>>3012309
You'd be hard pressed to find pentax gear anywhere too.
>>
File: .png (350KB, 1010x846px) Image search: [Google]
.png
350KB, 1010x846px
>>3012309
If you go to the big Best Buy stores with the camera experience shops, they still sell some A-mount lenses. But otherwise, you still can get stuff like this on their website.
>>
After the A99ii, they do have a pretty complete system, I've heard they plan on releasing some new and re-newed a-mount lenses. I've gotten used a-mount lenses at both my local camera stores (one barely sells anything Sony, but they had a few used and like 6-7 new ones).
You can always find old Minolta A-mount (anything with AF) lenses on Craigslist or whatever, I bought a Maxxum 7000, with an old Minolta flash, light meter (still worth $$$), Minolta 50 1.7 & 70-210 f4 (beercan), bought it all for $40.
If you ever can, get a Zeiss A-Mount lens, they are built so fucking well.
>>
>>3012291
>Canon are the flaky ones

How? EOS isn't going anywhere
>>
Is there a native A-to-E adapter? or does the elctric communication not translate 1-to-1?
>>
>>3014896
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008166-REG/sony_laea4_a_mount_to_e_mount_lens.html
>>
>>3012242
If your main concern is sony moving over fully to e-mount, but you don't feel their right for you yet, I'd say bite the bullet on an a-mount body.

Sony do currently have the la-ea3 and la-ea4 for using a mount lenses on e mount bodies, but neither is perfect, the 3 has no screw drive and the 4 uses a translucent mirror that's susceptible to damage/marks/etc. However there's plenty of rumors that Sony will be releasing an updated a-mount adapter this year that addresses any previous issue.

If Sony do decide to kill off a-mount, all your lenses will still be perfectly usable if you transfer to e-mount.

Real talk though, it's gonna be at least 5 years until they would think of killing it off, the a9ii and a77ii are selling well.
>>
>>3014927

My EA4 mirror is covered in dust and dirt (gunk from a used lens I didn't check well enough) and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

I'd love a model with a replacable mirror, especially if it has improved AF speed.
>>
>>3014965
you could clean it...
>>
>>3014966

It is way to fragile. More of a thin film than a mirror.

I was able to clean a lot off being super careful with a sensor swab, but it flexs with the lightest of touches, so a lot did not come clear.
>>
>>3014968
The slt is tricky to clean, just be careful. Also if you fuck it up , you can find them on eBay for cheap
>>
>>3014927
>>3014965
>>3014968
This is the biggest thing holding me back from buying an LA-EA4. Also where is this information on a possible successor to the current adapters?
>>
i'll stick with A mount until it's no longer feasable. are you guys aware of the selection of cheap autofocus lenses that minolta made that work with the alpha line? here's my gear. the sony lenses won't autofocus on the minolta camera but the minolta lenses work on both.
>>
>>3015142
I feel like menelta has always been the full on basic betch gearfag brand though.
>all those pointless electronic features
>veneration of shit zooms
>proprietary flash system as a gotcha for anyone who wants to accessorise
>LCD menu diving for basic functions
>hold button 3 whilst rotating dial δ in a selfwise direction to set aperture
>>
>>3015006

EA2 was replacable, EA4 is not.
>>
>>3015142

>Sony lenses wont focus on minolta

I hear they work on last film body generarion.
>>
>>3015163
i only picked up the minolta camera because it came with the two lenses for 30 dollars on ebay. i shoot film once in a while so it will be fun to play with at least.
>>
>>3015174
that would actually be pretty neat, you're probably talking about the maxxum series film cameras.
>>
File: .jpg (140KB, 800x993px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
140KB, 800x993px
>>3015142
I wanted to get into A-mount because of the ridiculous Minolta APO lenses.
>>
The AF issue with the a99 II in video mode is super fucking disappointing.. It would almost be the perfect camera otherwise.
>>
>>3015219

>Minolta APO

Cheap for what they are, but still outside my price range.

I got a Secret Handshake though. Besides its long minimal focal distance it is the perfect lens of FF.
>>
>>3015309
>Secret Handshake
Huh didn't know about that one. But FFS they were .5 stops away from a constant aperture lens. That really makes me mad.
>>
>>3012291
>Canon are the flaky ones
In what way? Canon have absolutely no problems with killing off a mount completely at a moment's notice. See: FD to EF mount.
>>
>>3015219
They're neat, especially given how old they were. Wanted one, but never had the money.

But if you're not doing telephoto shots, the E-mount has even better and often cheaper glass.
>>
>>3015338

FF E-mount with LA-EA5 for anything over 200mm or so is probably the way to go.
>>
>>3015346
>LA-EA5
You from the future or something? All we have now is either a shitty LA-EA3 or LA-EA4.
>>
>>3015181
>>3015174
Aren't there people who mod the Alpha 9 and Minolta Alpha 7 bodies to work with SSM lenses?
>>
>>3015695
It's coming
>>
>>3015695

I meant LA-EA4, but I mistyped.

Though an update with a99ii focus speeds would be nice.

>>3015734

a7 and a9 support SSM by default. One of them (I can't remembwr which) needs the updated hardware though.
>>
File: Back that fact up.jpg (20KB, 208x240px) Image search: [Google]
Back that fact up.jpg
20KB, 208x240px
>>3015774

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: NeZv2XX.jpg (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
NeZv2XX.jpg
1MB, 1600x1067px
>not just buying a pink e-mount
>>
>>3017122
>Kai-style painting

On the topic - i, personally, think A system is dead already, since mirrorless has FF and can be 100% accurate on focusing more reliably.
i'm just poor to make a transit, other than that i can't understand people who will buy/bought the A99 (A99ii).
>>
>>3017416

If you are using a-mount professionally and are invested in the system, I could see picking up the a99ii.

But all Sony has to do is make a lens adapter with a99ii focus speeds, and there would be no reason to get a a-mount body.
>>
>>3017422
If it'll use sony SLT for focusing much like LA-2 or whatever it is called - i doubt.
And i, personally, see less and less professionalt using the A system. Some already gone mirrorless and some my friends got their hands on Canon 5dm3 and want nothing more.
>>
My first camera was a Sony A77. Obviously I was a noob, but I did do some quick research over the net, and saw all the warnings "A mount is le kill". I refunded it within a week for D7000, which I perceived to have noticeably better ISO performance. But since then I've gone through 3 nikon bodies (2 D8xx bodies) before I've settled for a contrast detect AF mirrorless camera. The dslr AF meme only applies for sports cameras, anything but the sports camera will be at risk. Same cannot be said of modern day mirrorless cameras, they're all always accurate (if they work with contrast detection), the only issue is the prediction algorithms of C-AF, other than that they're always 100% accurate, and never have problems with dslr af misalignment (DSLR rely on mirror to reflect information for a AF module that's off-sensor, above mirror/before OVF).

What SLT sounded first was great, but it has its own set of issues. There's a great article on lenstip that tears it down http://www.lenstip.com/137.1-article-Everything_you_always_wanted_to_know_about_the_semi-transparent_mirror_technology_(but_were_afraid_to_ask).html . Regardless, I would lie if I said A99 or A99m2 doesn't look good, and maybe the slight ISO disadvantage doesn't matter on those cameras as much as I feel it hurt their crop sensor. But getting native lenses with fast AF for those are expensive and not worth it.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.