[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult is it to gain access to the inside of the fron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: lens4.jpg (166KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
lens4.jpg
166KB, 1200x800px
How difficult is it to gain access to the inside of the front element on the Canon 100-400 mkI?

Pic is of a lens I'm trying to sell, but along with the dust you see, there's what looks like lots of small circular specks, which I assume is marks from condensation, on the inside of the front element.

I've found this how-to: https://petapixel.com/2013/05/16/a-few-easy-lens-dustings/

But it only goes as far as to gain access to small openings in the lens barrel to remove dust with a rocket blower.

I'm trying to sell the damn thing, and despite constantly dropping the price, nobody wants it. And Canon wants about $500 to clean/repair it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5760
Image Height3840
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:17 00:15:34
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length67.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Sell it as it is, not dusty AND bubba'd
>>
>>2999122
Two questions
>how much are you trying to sell it for?
and
>does the inside element wiggle a bit? Mine does, it doesn't affect image quality, but it does concern me a bit.
>>
>>2999122
>circular specks
Sounds like fungus
>>
>>2999122
I'll give you $400 for it.
>>
File: dustnshit.jpg (288KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
dustnshit.jpg
288KB, 1600x1067px
>>2999218
ya think?

>>2999228
Even after seeing this?

Btw, the crescent moon-looking circles are just reflects caused by the inside elements.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark IV
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Width6720
Image Height4480
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution200 dpi
Vertical Resolution200 dpi
Image Created2017:01:10 00:09:34
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length70.00 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height1067
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2999206
$600 now, but I'll probably lower it again soon. I finally got one hit, but the person is really unsure because of the dust. And no, no wiggle.
>>
>>2999264

Tbh just get what you can, how did you let it get this dusty?
>>
>>2999259
Definitely fungus. The MkI is the archetype of the dust pump, and with dust you also get spores inside.
Send it in for someone competent to clean it, it might be still salvageable.
>>
>>2999259
until it gets full on hazy, it will still take nice images.
even full haze, you'll only lose contrast.
>>
>>2999259
>>2999122

Keep it seperate from your other lenses, but use it until it gets hazey then throw it away.

Don't sell it, someone who doesn't know better will put it with their other lenses and infect them all.
>>
>>2999467
This is bullshit. Spores are everywhere anyways. If all your lenses are getting fungus, it's because the environment you are storing it in itself (warm, humid, dark), not because the neighbouring lens gave it aids.
>>
File: dissasembly.jpg (89KB, 623x541px) Image search: [Google]
dissasembly.jpg
89KB, 623x541px
>>2999386
From normal use. Photography is my career. Several months ago I upgraded to the Mark II version, and this has been sitting in storage ever since, which probably led to the fungus growth.
>>2999440
There is one local repair shop that I'm going to call, otherwise I'm going to clean it myself. It's easy enough to disassemble it to where you see it in the picture. And it seems like there's just a few more screws holding the front element in place, but unfortunately that's where the article on disassembling this lens ends.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:01:10 18:52:58
Image Width623
Image Height541
>>
>>2999489

>lets store this lens full of growing fungus spores in an enclosed space next to this other lens full of fungus food (dust)

What could possibly go wrong?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.