[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SQT - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 37

File: sqt.jpg (18KB, 435x231px) Image search: [Google]
sqt.jpg
18KB, 435x231px
Didn't see a general thread up, and I need one.

I recently got myself an a6300.

And during the holidays I got back to my parents, with our dogs.
I wanted to record some 120fps video and follow them around.

But, the AF didn't manage to keep up.

It was a slight overcast, shot with continuous AF, center focus, f1.4, 800iso.
So it was all properly exposed and bright outside.

I've also noticed a lot of hunting when it shouldn't.

I've turned off face-recognition.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>2995773
i'm lurking /p/ for a couple of months and people keep mentioning someone named isi, can someone explain me who that is?
>>
>>2995773
That is normal for challenging light conditions on mirrorless. The on-sensor AF points are mounted between the actual pixels or uses the actual pixels themselves so they are much less sensitive, especially on higher shutter speed of the 120fps video.
A good option is getting a flash unit with AF assist light working in the IR region so it is not visible by naked eye or use an LED panel for added illumination for video.
>>
>>2995808
fuck off isi youre not fooling anyone you attentionwhore
>>
>>2995773
Not gonna happen buddy.
No af will keep in focus a presumably 85mm 1.4 120 times per second on a dog going bat shit.

Unless of course you expect your camera to be able to focus in less than 1/120th of a second when a quarter of a second is a good focusing speed from a top tier pro body.

Mirrorless actually fares a lot better than dslr for this kind of thing as dslrs need to have the mirror down to do fast af.

Just stop down/manual focus/edit better.
>>
>>2995808
He's a board legend! Such an hero, good photographer with unique style. Best photographer to you to lurk here.
>>
>>2995827
>>2995836
It was with the sigma 30/1.4 dc dn.

I did however have good success with manual focusing with my samyang 85/1.4.

The main issue was when they ran towards me, closing a 10m gap in about 2 seconds.

That doesn't seem to problematic to me. Even my old 500D managed to track for one shot at that distance.
>>
How do I post on /p/ without showing exit data?
>>
>>2995956
*Exif
>>
Why does my Lightroom have a very distinct brown color cast? It exports just fine.

Even black and white has a cast. What gives?
>>
>>2995976
Check your screen calibration in the settings
You might need to calibrate it with a separate unit
>>
>>2995978

Would that effect the actual rgb values of the image? I can screenshot Lightroom, paste it into another program with an eye dropper tool and it'll show a definite shift.
>>
>>2995956
Strip the exif from the file.
>>
>>2995956
Why would you want to strip the exif data. If a problem you're having with a photo is due to a wrong SS etc, then stripping EXIF just stands in the way of getting feedback that's appropriate.

There's no need to worry about using aperture priority or P mode, /p/'s full of basic bitches who couldn't make a decision if they were forced to.
>>
File: wut.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2996009

Here is a screenshot straight out of lightroom, in black and white mode no less. what the fuck is going on?
>>
>>2996243
Lightroom is loading a bad ICC profile for your monitor.
>>
>>2996343

Is there a way I can fix that?
>>
>>2996345
download the correct one for your monitor and install it, then restart your pc.
>>
Is there a way to desaturate a print lol. I went through one of those cheap online companies that does prints. Their site didn't allow .TIFF files, only jpegs, so I knew the colours would be off. It wasn't until after I ordered it that I realized I should have bought an 8x10 in advance as a test shot. As far as print quality goes it is real nice, it's only the colours that are over saturated. I know I got what I paid for, I just want to know if there's a way to dull the colour.
>>
>>2996243
Did you reset the picture? Looks like you may have some split toning turned on
>>
Is there a way to change shutter speeds to whole stop instead of 1/3 stop on GR?
>>
>>2996458
no.
just 1/2
>>
>>2996368
When I need to edit prints, I just spray my semen all over it. That tends to fade it out precisely to my taste.
>>
>>2996368
is it really impossible to print accurate colors from a jpeg? that doesn't make much sense to me
>>
>>2996467
Thanks I'll give this a shot

>>2996469
Nah you can get pretty accurate prints, turns out I'm just a dumb faggot who used the wrong colour space. I checked the site and figured out where I went wrong, first time doing this so I learnt my lesson.
>>
Since every man and his dog seems to making something with AF functionality for Sony E/FE mount, is there a specification/diagram/something etc for it out there?
>>
>>2996517
What do you mean? Sony has literal fucking shit for third party support

Rumours are that Sony license the specs to interested third parties for monetary compensation, however
>>
>>2996521
Third Party PDAF support in the new cameras,

and I saw this - http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201102/11-018E/

Posted February but >from April 1st

So I dont know..
>>
>>2996521
>literal fucking shit 3rd party support

You know, except for being able to use canon, contax and sigma af lenses like they're native.

Or how every lens company are making products for them, zeiss, voigtlander, tokina, sigma, tamron, venus, mitakon, samyang.

Or how any legacy glass can be used on it

Or how china have flooded the market with accessories for every situation, gimbals, uw domes, cages, etc.

No other camera system has come close for the amount of support E mount has since m42. We're currently looking at more than 20 lenses being released this year, and I'm sure cp in February will bump that up some more.
>>
>>2996223
For starting threads will silly unrelated pictures torn off the internet that don't need exif garbage
>>
File: DSC_0162_00004-Reduced.jpg (1MB, 5957x3971px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0162_00004-Reduced.jpg
1MB, 5957x3971px
Why is this landscape shot so blurry?

Is it because the aperature was at 1.8 and the dof is too shallow?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareCapture NX-D 1.4.3 W
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern894
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:01:08 18:25:50
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5957
Image Height3971
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2998292
You generally want to shoot landscapes at lower apertures. For that shot you could have shot at f/4 or f/8 and it wouldn't be as blurry.
>>
File: DSC_0930_00002-Reduced.jpg (1MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0930_00002-Reduced.jpg
1MB, 6000x4000px
>>2998309

Yeah I forgot about that. Took a bunch of photos today and all the distant landscape shots are pretty much trash. Wont forget that again.

Will landscapes shot at wide apertures always come out like this? I thought as long as my autofocus was good then the shot would be mostly fine.

Bonus peacock

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareCapture NX-D 1.4.3 W
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern894
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image Created2017:01:08 17:41:28
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I just bought an a6000 as my first camera, and I'm really excited to get started with photography. Anything specific I should know about the camera, and photography in general that you guys wish you knew when you first started?
>>
>>2995956
My question is the opposite.
Why don't my posts include the exif data?
>>
File: 02f.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
02f.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
>>2998309
>you want landscapes at low apertures
>but shoot at f/4 or 4/8 instead of f/1.8, a lower aperture
>>
>>2998292
it's blurry because you missed your focus, the foreground is in focus because that's where your autofocus took you. 101 shit man.
>>
>>2998309

You need to learn the terminology, friend.
>>
I just bought a guy's darkroom and he has a shit ton of at least 10 years old photo paper.
What do I do with it ?
If I load it into a large format camera, how should I rate the sensitivity and shoot it? What filters would be good (variable contrast paper)?
>>
File: hmmmmmmmmmm.png (1MB, 1272x838px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmmmmm.png
1MB, 1272x838px
>>2998369

Focus point said I was at the center of the building
>>
>>2996243
inb4 "I have flux on"
>>
>>2998368
>>2998372
"In photography, aperture is expressed in f-numbers (for example f/5.6). These f-numbers that are known as “f-stops” are a way of describing the size of the aperture, or how open or closed the aperture is. A smaller f-stop means a larger aperture, while a larger f-stop means a smaller aperture."

Maybe you two should :)
>>
I graduated with a media production degree recently but can't afford to move to a big city where a lot of jobs pertaining to my degree are. I need a job but don't want to work a shit one like fast food. How do I email a local photographer about maybe doing a internship or convince them to hire me as an assistant? I know to to camera and shit but not I'm not 100% on social skills.
>>
File: 48326_RATN_OM2.jpg (65KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
48326_RATN_OM2.jpg
65KB, 750x750px
Putting together my first system, and I'm looking at storage options. I was wondering what kind of options I have aside from generic camera bags.

This will be a secondary bag because I already have a larger messenger for my laptop and my books. Essentially, it only needs to store the equipment itself. I'm just concerned with it being comfortable and unobstructive.

I'm looking at this anglers sling bag from Patagonia. The main pouch is weather sealed, and the side straps for the fishing rod could potentially hold a tripod.

Is this a terrible idea? Should I bite the bullet and go with something more conventional?
>>
>>2998640
There are plenty of photo specific sling bags out there. I would say go with one of those over that bag because the photo ones have padded dividers. I used a cheap sling from Sam's for over 5 years and it wasn't uncomfortable. Also don't be fooled by the photos of the bags only holding one body and like 2 kit lenses. I've found that a lot of times the companies pack them like pussies. I can fit way more shit in my current bag than what they show online.
>>
>>2998642
I'll keep digging around. I know that padding and impact protection is a huge factor (you obviously don't want your shit to break) but I'm pretty good about babying my stuff despite running around all the time.

Thanks for your input, bruv.
>>
>>2998640
for comfort, please dont go a sling. its alright if you're walking around a city and are planning to put it on and take it off regularly, but if you're hiking a trail for hours carrying a decent kit, they get annoying VERY quick
>>
>>2998696
That's all good to know. I appreciate it.

Also I apologize. I should've clarified my intended use a little more thoroughly. I'm going to be shooting in mostly urban areas, and I use a skateboard to commute most places. I've found that messenger style bags have a more comfortable weight distribution when your needing to push constantly. That much is just personal preference though.

My setup is mirrorless, and quite small as of right now as it is. So understandably once my system starts expanding, I'll probably need to take the weight into consideration. Though, realistically, I'm probably going to be travelling with just the kit lens and the obligatory fisheye for filming.

I'll definitely take your advice to heart though. I don't doubt that hiking with a large kit on your back requires a specific bag, but the appeal of the sling is having something that allows me to get around using my board.
>>
Are the Fuji x100 series over hyped?
>>
>>2998746
yes
>>
>>2998316
set your focus to infinty when doing landcape you cuck
>>
>>2998425
it lied

it focused on the ground beside your feet for whatever reason.

just use center single point af.

never trust a computer to make photos you cuck
>>
>>2998746

X100 series owner here.

They're overpriced, but it was, by far, my most used camera in 2016.
>>
>>2998425
Learn to manual focus and stop relying on a the camera to hold your hand you fucking pleb. If your subject isn't moving at a medium to fast pace, you don't need autofocus.

>>2998779
>implying all landscape scenes require focus to infinity
Dumb advice from a dumb faggot
>>
What's a normal (i.e. 80mm or 90mm) f2.8 lens for MF equivalent to in 35mm terms, depth of field wise? ~50mm f1.8?
>>
Hello my name is Moe and I have a stupid Question.

Will the 645z go down in price after Fuji releases their medium format mirror-less?
>>
I'm joining the navy soon but I want a camera to bring with me. What would be ideal? I have no knowledge of cameras or anything. I want the best thing that I can get for around 150$ any ideas?
>>
>>2999097
What are you looking for in a camera? For $150 you could get a compact digital camera. What do you want to take pictures of? Can you even bring a camera when ton deploy?
>>
Still learning about post processing. The color in all my photos look kinda washed out. I'm guessing I should mess around with saturation/vibrance and contrast. Is there a general guideline to follow so that I don't go overboard in the other direction? Any other advice just dealing with color alone?
>>
>>2999097
Zenit B
>>
>>2998883
Did the Leicas became affordable starting to the introduction of the first digital one? There's your answer.
>>
>>2998883
All we know about Fuji pricing for the gfx is that it will be "under $10k", and the only other mirrorless MF cam is $1500 more expensive than the 645z. I think they'll price it a shade under the Hassleblad but well above the 645. Ergo, no.

But that's like, just my opinion man.
>>
>>2998883
>>2999594
Did some digging - current rumour mill numbers:

Fujifilm GFX: € 6,999 ($6,499)
Fujinon GF 63mm f/2.8: € 1,599 ($1,499)
Fujinon GF 32-64mmF4: $2,299
Fujinon GF 120mmF4 macro: $2,599

Announcement 19th Jan
>>
How much should I charge my first disco photoshoot? It's between 21:00 and 1:00.
They don't really want to pay me.
>>
How would I get lighting similar to this? The only lights I have would be house lights.
>>
>>2999120
I'm pretty sure you can. It would be mostly landscape. If I'm traveling the world I just want something that can take good and clear pictures
>>
>>2999584
Wow that's actually prefect for what I'm looking for. I think I'm going to get that. Do you know if they're common or are they hard to find? I did some research on it and it seems ideal
>>
I just bought a yongnuo yn560iii and I'm having trouble getting it to work with my 7d
Its my first external flash and I dont really know what im doing
Is it compatible with my camera? If so how do I set it up?
>>
>>2999716
put cardboard over most of a high window in a dark room to shape/harden the light source, or put some kind of gobo over a house light to make it directional (but it won't be very bright). I believe single light source above camera right, towards the backdrop, but the lighting of the backdrop could be separate. dark background and walls to minimize reflections.
>>
>overcast day
>exposure meter says scene is properly exposed
>take photos
>everything looks underexposed
>histogram shows everything pushed towards the left
So in a situation like this, I should generally go by the histogram, right? Should I just overexpose by a stop or two is every photo looks consistently underexposed? Also is there a difference between setting the exposure compensation up one stop and manually overexposing every shot?
>>
>>3000106
>exposure meter says scene is properly exposed

this is most likely because your camera is exposing for the sky, not for the foreground. To get the sky in a "correct" exposure, it needs to darken the foreground
>I should generally go by the histogram, right?
Depends on what you want to achieve, but generally yes. You could also shoot 3 pictures, with 1 stop of exposure apart and then create a HDR shot
>Also is there a difference between setting the exposure compensation up one stop and manually overexposing every shot?
depending on what mode you are shooting in, the exposure compensation might adjust either Aperture, ISO or Shutter speed, whereas M mode leaves that choice to you
>>
>>2996223
I've had bad experiences with people bitching about certain Camera models in the past.

Had one thread up where people where praising my pictures without EXIF and when I answered somebody asking that I was using a Rabal and a kit lens/nifty-fifty, everybody just started bitching about high ISO, shit colors etc.
>>
>>2998610
you said it yourself "large" and "small", not "high" and "low".
>>
>>2999923
They are some of the most common cameras ever made, they go for almost nothing, don't pay more than 30 bucks. Pretty sweet lens, the Helios 44, and it doesnt require any battery. Purely manual, learn photography the hard way. The AK-47 of photography.
>>
Really stupid question: is there a way to see the basics rules (like the rule of thirds) in the viewfinder of the nikon d3300? Something to apply on the viewfinder maybe?
>>
>>3000168
http://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d3300/functions/framing_grid_liveview.html
read your manual sometime, you'll learn a lot
>>
>>3000023
Thank you
>>
>>3000218
the shape of the light source in that picture looks like it's much longer in one a is than the other (a long rectangle) from the spot on the wall, also. and of course a big part of the trick is to dramaatically underexpose
>>
>>3000140
Thank you
>>
So I shoot only RAW.

I have a Dell U2713H monitor, it can do AdobeRGB colorspace.

When editing my photos in lightroom, do I set it for AdobeRGB or sRGB? I export for sRGB. But do I loose any data by not viewing lightroom using AdobeRGB?
>>
>>2999918
Get a beginner dSLR with the kitlens.

Canon 1300D or Nikon D3300 with the their respective kitlenses

If physical size is an issue, get the Canon 100D with the EF-S 24mm f2.8 lens

Post in the gear thread next time
>>
>>3000337
Why would you limit yourself before exporting the image?
>>
>>3000333
If you are still interested maybe look for the Zenit E, and the TTL as well, they are the exact same camera but with a lightmeter. Not that its going to make a huge difference because most of them dont even work (soviet quality electronics). But they are still fully manual
>>
>>3000350
I take it, I would benefit by editing with the monitor in AdobeRGB?
>>
>>3000213
Not in liveview on the lcd, i mean in the viewfinder
>>
So. Stupid questions.

What is RAW

Why is it better or worse than say TIFF or jpg?

OK no. I know why it's better than Jpg.
What's the advantage over other format#?
>>
>>3000375
don't think the d3300 has that kind of a viewfinder, you need lines etched on the ground glass for that
>>
>>3000376
Your camera can't shoot in TIFF, only jpg or raw.

raw is literally the raw data off the camera, no processing has been done whatsoever.

Shooting JPG is basically telling the camera to take the RAW data and run it through its internal processing, applying sharpness, saturation etc etc.

Hence shooting in RAW, you can save more data, because you have full control at your pc, while your camera might give you botched JPGs
>>
>>3000420
Ah. I think my cam is defaulted to jpg. I oughtta fix that.

Can most social media sites handle RAW in uploads?
>>
>>3000375
>>3000382
My D5300 has it under option d2 on the custom menu. Its called framing grid or something like that.
>>
>>3000422

No.

You would not upload raw anywhere unless it was in a discussion about processing raw files. You have to open the raw file with Lightroom, Camera Raw, Rawtherapee or some such software, and after adjusting the exposure and colors how you like, export a jpg. Then you upload the jpg.
>>
Can someone tell me what the appeal of film compacts is? I see a lot of people in gear threads, the film general, and elsewhere talk about them, and I don't get why you'd want that.

I mean, the reason you shoot film is that you're saying "I've decided that convenience is less important to me than the unique qualities of shooting film". If convenience was the priority, you'd choose digital. So if you've decided that convenience is less important, why would you choose a point-and-shoot camera that's designed to be small and convenient first and foremost? Especially considering that you can get 35mm SLRs that aren't much bigger than compacts.

I'm not trying to hate, I just don't get the appeal.
>>
How difficult is it to manually focus?
Considering a lens without auto for portraits
>>
>>3000519
>the reason you shoot film is that you're saying "I've decided that convenience is less important to me than the unique qualities of shooting film"
is quite a large assumption about the fundamental argument for all film users, as an absolute
>>
>>3000382
You're probably right anon
>>3000423
D3300 doesn't have it, unfortunately
>>
>>3000609
if it's any consolation, rule of thirds is for cunts
>>
>>3000635
It is, thank you anon
>>
I have many conflicting information regarding on what are the practical differences between crop lenses and their ff equivalent.

Assuming the crop factor is 1.5x.

Will a 50mm ff be equal to a 75mm in terms of lens distortion? (not to be mistaken with perspective distortion which is related to subject distance)

If I stand at the same distance with a 50mm crop and a 75mm ff and shot a face, will both get the same face proportions or one will get a distorted nose?
>>
>>3000761
sorry i ment 50mm crop to a 75mm ff
>>
How do I achieve tumblr teenage girl aesthetics? Increase lightness and lower contrast and saturation?
>>
Is there any specific reason why the d3300 is so much more popular than the pentax k50? Price is the same

I've compared them on like 3 sites and the k50 seems better on each of them, so I feel like I'm missing smth obvious
>I'm a n00b
>>
>>3001008

D3300 has a clearer upgrade path. Money invested into the Nikon system will keep its value as you trade up the ladder for better bodies.
>>
>>3001012
Four years ago I got a d5100 with a 17-55mm lens.

Should I upgrade to the D500 (it's a DX so I can keep the lens) or branch out to a more discrete Fuji x100t?
>>
File: P1010085-2.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1010085-2.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
I currently use an olympus epl5 with no viewfinder.

Should I buy a new body with a view finder? sticking to MFT due to lenses. Don't want to buy an external viewfinder for my camera because I hate carrying shit like that.

Will this make me better? I am usually snapshitting away with the big screen and do minor crop adjustments when needed during processing.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-PL5
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Color Filter Array Pattern738
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Horizontal Resolution94 dpi
Vertical Resolution94 dpi
Image Created2017:01:13 08:32:46
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length25.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Been meaning to get a camera for a while but I often think to myself I don't know what I'd shoot. When I was high school I had a little video camera that I loved, however I never learned to use it properly and ended up losing it when I was on holiday and never replaced it. I'm now in first year of uni and I'm really looking to pick up some hobbies for when I'm not working or studying. I take photos every so often with my phone of just my surroundings if I think they are pretty neat or interesting looking, especially now during winter when the sky is looking really colourful. I can't, however, think what I'd specifically like to photograph. I don't have anyone to photograph, and I don't even know any photographers in real life.

Basically I'm asking someone to convince me to get into photography, or maybe even not to.
>>
>>3001042
How big of a deal is it to not have a viewfinder? Like how often did you wish you had one? (Interested because I'm looking for a new camera desu)
>>
File: FDn28mmf2.jpg (37KB, 432x353px) Image search: [Google]
FDn28mmf2.jpg
37KB, 432x353px
dumb question from a total newbie

i have an a6000 and just got a Canon FD 28mm f2.8 lens and just adapted it

i've never used a manual lens before. How do I change the aperture? I can focus fine but when I try and move the ring for the aperture nothing seems to change. It doesnt seem any brighter, focus area doesnt seem to change.

Is there anything I need to do other than turning that ring on it? Or am I just dumb and not seeing it be different or something
>>
how do people get their film developed and get prints? when i was a kid you would just drop off a disposable at a supermarket and they could do it and it would be cheap. all the local shops near me are charging $2 an exposure to print. Is this normal? I picked up a film slr and dont want to pay $50 per roll....
>>
>>3001152
if theres nowhere reasonable near you, do it yourself at home or mail them off to someplace like thedarkroom
>>
>>3001146
unmount it so you can look through it backwards. if moving the outward ring on the camera doesn't ope and close the aperture blades then you have a problem and probably shouldn't try to disassemble it yourself
>>
>>3001158
Yep. Blades don't move at all. fantastic.
Any advice what to do now? I just bought it off ebay, should I just return it or is it worth trying to fix somehow
>>
File: fd.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fd.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
>>3001159
>>3001158
>>3001146
Stop stop stop.
Blind leading the blind here.
An FD lense won't move its aperture blades unless it's mounted on a camera.
Adapters to other cameras have a ring to switch between full aperture and stopped down to the selected one on the lense. On pic related it's the one marked Open and Lock.
turn it and you should be able to stop down.
If not, unmount and remount the lense with the lock ring in either position, until you get the right orientation to work the aperture.
>>
File: all is well.jpg (143KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
all is well.jpg
143KB, 480x640px
>>3001161
Well shit, this was totally it. Got it set up right now it works just as I'd hoped.

Thanks man, I truly don't know what I'm doing
>>
Will fujifilm instax film work in a Polaroid 300?
>>
Bought a Nikon D3400 for my first camera. It's pretty shit for $600, my main complaint is the 18-55 mm lens isn't very versatile, and I'm not capturing what my eyes are seeing effectively. Is this a disparity between me and photography, or is the camera just not up to the task?
>>
is F stop only in the lens of the camera?
>>
>>3001198
!
it can also around the heart of a man?
i have inned about a dritty dritty chiildfucker who in about f/ 6and1/3rd in about his heart,
: alsoBoris Yeltsin, great comrad in about of his heart f/ 1and2/5ths
?
So how can it be yust in lense
?
>>
>>3001196
>nor versatile
>compact 3x zoom

Nigger you confused. What dyu think isn't versatile about your setup?

Your new, and you've just found out photography takes more than a good idea. It takes months of practice before you are competent and years before you will be competent and consistent. It's an artists tool, just like a guitar or a pencil, imagine doing the same amount of practice on your first guitar amd complaining to /mu that songs aren't coming out like you imagine? You'd look pretty fucking dumb, right? This is you right now.

You need to learn, the 35mm photographers handbook is in every thrift store and will tell you all the things you need to know. Then we have a saying in photography "your first 100k photos are practice". Thats shot AND edited, how's lightroom coming along for you?

Your camera is perfectly capable, it's only real downfall is the lack of focusing motor for older lenses and its user. It has the best image quality of any non full frame camera.

Now, time to make a decision; put in the hours, git gud OR Give up yet another hobby you promised your parents you would stick at because you're a lazy, entitled cunt that doesn't believe in hard graft.
>>
>>3001026
Get a better lens instead.
>>
Does he add color effects to his photos?
https://negativefeedback.co.uk/
If so, how can I achieve similar results?
>>
>>3001231
Achieve similar results by buying medium format film gear and using it.
>>
>>3001221
I've been thinking about the Laowa 15mm f/4 Wide Angle 1:1 Macro Lens, is it any use?
>>
>>3001247
For doing ultra wide angle extreme closeups it's great.

For doing photography, look at pro zooms, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 or f4. They will make the most of your current body and give outstanding results once you upgrade to full frame.
>>
>>3000971
cum on your lens
>>
>>3001249
Thank you
>>
File: 1479963048258.png (231KB, 458x384px) Image search: [Google]
1479963048258.png
231KB, 458x384px
Recommendations for a print-selling service?
e.g. Society6, BigCartel, etc

Or best way to sell prints online?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>3001272

Hate to break it to you bruh. You ain't good enough.
>>
Is there any guide for pretentious ph self potraits?
>>
I found a Fuji GX680III with a 100mm lens, the battery holder, the film back with 2 cassettes, a remote shutter and it looks pretty clean and well kept overall, it's selling for $1200, Is this a good deal?
>>
>>3000530
I did not autofocus in 12 years. Actually in the meanwhile I find it harder to deal with autofocus than do it manually. When I have another camera in my hands I immediately switch every auto function off.
>>
>>2999548
explain a specific problem and/or post an example image. it's not easy to give you an general answer here.
>>
>>2998881
40 or 45mm fl, 1.4 in dof, 2.8 in brightness.
>>
>>2998639
if you prefer the big city then just apply from where you are. i case you get a job you can afford living there.
why get stuck in the village instead?
>>
>>2998345
a picture gets hardly better in post. hardly to not at all.
>>
File: P1010693.jpg (4MB, 3929x3179px) Image search: [Google]
P1010693.jpg
4MB, 3929x3179px
>>3001144
Hello sir, I am not sure how often I would like a viewfinder or if I would ever use one if I had one built in. Was more interested if people with experience feel that the viewfinder may lead to better composition.

What are you considering? I think I could live without it to be honest.

Camera ModelE-PL5
Image Created2017:01:13 12:44:54
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length25.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Is there a difference between using the lens autofocus and using the camera autofocus? Sony camera
>>
File: P1010538.jpg (629KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
P1010538.jpg
629KB, 1000x750px
What are some easy access good macro shots for someone that lives in the city? How do people get sweet lizard and spider shots all the time?

I bought a nice macro lens and have never used it for its intended purpose. Can a 120mm macro lens take good street photography?

Thanks for the input.

Camera ModelE-PL5
Image Created2017:01:14 12:50:43
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length25.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
So uh, I'm kind of interested in dabbling with photography, but can I learn the basics of it with a phone camera? I have a V20 and it shoots in manual and RAW too
>>
Hi I'm looking to get into photography so was wondering what would be a good entry level camera? I don't really want anything with changeable lenses or anything, just something point and shoot I can use to develop my eye for composition.

Ideally I could carry this around and it could have a bit of strength to it and sit in my backpack without shattering and destroying everything.

My only thing is I would want a viewfinder.
>>
>>3001811
are there fixed lens cameras with viewfinder? Not sure.. but perhaps you may as well learn on a budget mirrorless system. why not?
>>
does anybody know if there are any settings i can fiddle with for the olympus omd em10 II to help with manual focus?
i really liked the split ring of my old film camera but theres nothing like it for the olympus (that ive found) and so ive noticed that im missing the focus sometimes.
>>
>>3001811
>>3001828
Fuji x100 would be perfect. Kinda pricey though
>>
>>3001714
>Can a 120mm macro lens take good street photography?
Hardly. "Street" photography is a mix between capturing people in the street and the urban environnement. Focusing only on the environnement is doable, it's close to architecture photography. But it's a bit autistic, even for 4chan' standards.
Try to "tell a story" with a paper magazine or a smoothie cup laying on the ground, with either bokeh or deep depth of field.

>How do people get sweet lizard and spider shots all the time?
Lighting.
>>
>>3001790

Someone help me please ;_;
>>
>>3001839
Dunno about EM-10, but on the EM-5 you can put this "cartoon filter"(forgot what it's called) on a button toggle, which kind of acts like a poor man's focus peaking.

The Most in-focus area will be the one one where you can see the most of the black edge lines.
>>
>>3001790
The basics? Yeah you can, anything about composition, perspective, timing...
The technical shenanigans about aperture, ISO, speed? Hardly
>>
>>3001872

My camera has ISO settings, shutter speed and pretty much that's all I guess. I guess I should spend some time learning about Composition and the theoretical part first?
>>
>>3001925
no you should learn about light and how it is affected by ISO, shutter speed and aperture first
>>
>>3001927

Okay that works as well. Is there any books or resources I can read to get me started?
>>
>>3001933
The 35mm photographers handbook is in every 2nd hand store and covers everything in an easy to read way.
>>
what am i missing here?
>crop sensors has everything in focus around f8
>Bokeh is not usable for much other than portrait photography or crap photos of flowers.
>full frame needs to go around f11-f16 to get the same dof as f8 an apsc camera.
>f8 on a crop is the same in terms of image brightness as f8 on full frame.
>yes full frame has better iso performance, but
>crop effectively gives you the same dof with lower iso/higher shutter speed.
why is crop so bad again?
>>
>>3002020
you're presuming that the whole frame always needs to be in sharp focus. This is usually not the case.
>>
>>3002020
>crop sensors has everything in focus around f8
Depends on the focal length. I have a few lenses that still have lower DoF even at f/22 on APS-C
From your whole post looks like you need to educate yourself more on photography as a whole and lurk more. Post again when you are less stupid.
>>
Anyone know where I can get lens caps? I just got a 50mm Olympus lens and it didn't come with a front cap. I think it needs a 49mm cap.
>>
>>3002020
crop sensors are smaller and thus require better-quality lenses to produce the same quality picture.
full frame glass often produces less sharp pictures with much worse chromatic aberration on crop sensors
on the other hand crop sensor size means a smaller lens for an equivalent f-stop
crop
>>
>>3002556
>crop sensors are smaller and thus require better-quality lenses to produce the same quality picture.
thats mitigated because its cheaper/easier to produce high quality glass when its supposed to cover a smaller surface.
>>3002549
look at the thread name. :)
>>
File: IMG_5337.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5337.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
I've never spent more than like 200$ on a lens so I dont really know what a good lens will do. Recently I've noticed that all of my pictures are too fuzzy to do shit with. Everyone preaches to get good glass but is that really the reason my shits so fuzzy?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:01:15 05:19:56
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length300.00 mm
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
File: IMG_5337.jpg (354KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5337.jpg
354KB, 1500x1000px
>>3002758
forgot to resize.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:01:15 05:24:50
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length300.00 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3002758
Your softness can be a combination of issues

lens quality - your lens i'm guessing is the cheap canon 100-300mm, it's a cheap lens that won't outresolve your sensor, meaning if you took a photo of something exactly 1pixel wide, it will bleed into the surrounding pixels, if you had a better lens that could outresolve the sensor, the dot will appear as just 1 pixel. (this is oversimplified due to bayer filters and other factors, but the principle is correct). You will also find that the smoothness of the blur in the out of focus areas will be smoother and less "nervous" or "busy"

Camera Shake - as a rule of thumb, for sharp shots handheld you need to use a shutter speed of 1/(2 x focal length), so at 300mm, 1/600 is a minimum. This problem is magnified if you're macro focusing as you have, you can pretty much eliminate the issue by using an off camera flash.

Depth of Field - If you're on a full frame camera, which you are, with a 300mm lens at f8 from 1.5m away (the minimum focusing distance of the canon 100 - 300) you have less than a centimetre depth which will be in sharp focus. http://www.photopills.com/calculators/dof

Buying new lenses is about what you want to shoot, if you want to shoot macro and want a deeper dof, a 50mm macro lens should do you well, it's also a good focal length for everyday photography and very compact.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a 24-70 f2.8 lens, it's a very usable range for everything from landscapes to portraits and the quality from "pro" lenses make them much more pleasurable to use. You can get a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 2nd hand for about $200, sigmas current offering is a bit shit, but they're announcing a new one in february, the Canon 24-70 L sets the benchmark and is available in various costs depending on if it's gen i or ii and whether it includes image stabilization (image stabilization allows you to quite easily take handheld shots at 1/focal length, saving you a stop if you need it)
>>
>>3002768
Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate the response. I never would have thought that my shutter speed would be the problem at 1/500. I just ordered a nifty fifty the other day to replace my canon 24-85mm f3.5 as my everyday lens but I was looking at the canon L series but could only afford the gen i and I didnt know if the image stabilization was a must.
>>
Is using a tripod a must in landscape photography?
Right now it's pretty cold and snowy and setting up a tripod would be next to impossible, there would not be a sturdy spot for tripod due to to much snow and setting a tripod up in -20°C would feel like a suicide.
>>
>>2995773
I've been lurking around for a while and just got started so I hope this doesn't sound retarded. Is there a way to automatically shoot in a 1:1 crop ratio on a nikon d3300 so I don't have to later on crop a bunch of pictures/lose quality? I don't know if this is possible and I hope this makes sense.
>>
>>3002805
why are you cropping into 1:1 bruh?
>>
>>3002619
>thats mitigated because its cheaper/easier to produce high quality glass when its supposed to cover a smaller surface
wrong. crop lenses still cost more for equivalent sharpness for the new ~20 MP sensors. for the usual glass, performance is just about half as good.
>>
>>3002805
you mean square crop? probably not with the d3300, some of the higher end cameras have the option. but there's no quality gain, it's purely a convenience option
>>
>>2995773
Why is it that always the shittiest photographers feel the need to watermark their work?
>>
>>3002783
no, but you'll be limited without one. just think about it: a tripod lets you shoot at minimum ISO and whatever aperture you want for static scenes. it lets you blur clouds/water (overused IMO). it helps you compose precisely and get perfect focus or even focus stack if you want to. it lets you use super teles easily. without a tripod you'll find that there are a lot of photos you'd like to take but can't get quite right.
>>
>>3002805
If you shoot in RAW then you won't lose any quality when you process + crop.
>>
>>3002806
>>3002811
>>3002838
That makes sense, thank you so much.
>>
>>3002812
Because any decent photographer with a bit of common sense will understand that nobody wants to steal their pics and that it looks like utter shit
>>
>>3002554
eBay. Best place for those things. Order from China.
>>
Is it possible to do a low key portrait in a public space where you can't really control the ambient light and achieve a pitch black background?
>>
>>3002943
>ordering from China
>ever
Enjoy your exploding lens caps.
>>
>>3002947
weak flash pop close to face with concrete background and high aperture low iso, or stand subject in the edge of bright sunlight with the background in shadow.
google "low key portrait anywhere."
>>
Anyone here ever shoot models?
How to choose a location?
I feel like there's nowhere interesting.
And does just anywhere work, mostly model is what matters?
>>
>>3000337
AdobeRGB is mostly for printing is it not?
>>
>>3001196
No, it is you.
>>
>>3001933
In coursera there's a free course (duh) about basics of photography by photogs at the University of Minnesota I think. It's good for beginners.
>>
>>3003184
It depends on what kind of photographs you want, your setting, theme and whatnot. Boudoir? Their apartment's fine, fashion and makeup? A studio maybe. Be creative grasshopper I'm sure there's something interesting in your city.
>>
Hey /p/, just need a simple answer here:

I'm going on vacation internationally soon, and I'm not much of a photographer, but I want to take some pictures of all the shit I'm going to be seeing while I'm there.

Should I get a cheap point and shoot camera and just learn how to use it, or can I get by with my iphone 5? Should I get some kind of grip to make it easier to use my phone as a camera?
>>
Is there a way or method or trick to get over my fear of taking pictures of random people on the street or in bars and such?

I mean a lot of people don't really like the idea

otherwise it would feel like I had to hide and then creepy++ -> anxiety++

>watdo
or do you guys just not give a fuck and take the pictures anyway, and hopefully talk nicely to the people that might be against it?
>>
>>3003345
>Everyone will want to kill me if I want to take their photo
>hasn't asked anyone.

Stop being a faggot, go into the street, find someone you want to take a photo of and approach them and ask. "Hey, do you mind if I take your photo", not hard bruh.

Your fear is just faggotry, and it's the same reason you don't have a gf.
>>
File: 1475178854267.jpg (613KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475178854267.jpg
613KB, 1920x1080px
What settings do you use to take pictures at night, such as this?
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (118KB, 1021x552px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
118KB, 1021x552px
What kind of lens makes this weird bokeh (from The Greasy Strangler)?
>>
>>3003381
Slower than usual shutter speed, bumped up ISO, as wide as your aperture could go. Maybe 1/20s, ISO1600, and 4.0. Adjust accordingly.
>>
Can't get my monitor colors to match iPhone colors.

Whenever I edit on my laptop, color grading and everything, I always end up with a disgusting output when I view it on a mobile phone. Getting really fuckin frustrated because I want to avoid editing on my phone as much as possible as image quality is compromised. Any advice?

>absolute noob on color and computer (in editing at least) terminology
>cant go for anything that requires a pruchase
>>
>>3003432
What monitor are you using?
>>
>>3003345
>>3003347
That's wrong, don't ask.
If you want to take photos of random people, just do it. If someone dislikes it just try to explain/apologize and move on.
Bars might be a little different though.
>>
Fucking clouds, how do they work? I have some photos that I like, except for the fact that the sky is completely blue and devoid of any clouds. Besides photoshopping some clouds in afterwards, am I pretty much at the mercy of the current weather when I'm taking photos?
>>
>>3003478

Yes, photography is about playing the long game, and especially landscape photography at that. With time, you'll learn the locations you'll want to shoot, and even the right vista, and then it's just a matter of timing and luck and persistence and the ability to drop everything and get to the spot when the weather/lighting/everything is jusssst right.
>>
>>3003432
Get a colour calibration device.
Oh and you won't be able to do shit all on a TN panel monitor, which yours will be unless it's a premium laptop, TN panels just can't display a massive amount of the srgb colour space.

>>3003459
Depends on the photo you want, if you want a posed portrait, the former is the only viable option, if you want a candid look yours is the only option.

The message remains clear though, don't be a bitch ass faggot. You want to take photos of people, you believe that will bring you joy/happiness, no-one has ever said or insinuated you can't take photos of people, the only thing stopping you, is you.
>>
>>3003381
Split-toning is a major factor here for the lighting and moody-ness
>>
>>3003387
I'd guess oil spots on the front or rear lens element
https://photographylife.com/the-effect-of-dust-on-lens-bokeh
the ring is onion bokeh, I think
>>
>>3003599
>oil spots on the front or rear lens element
Thanks. Or maybe grease spots, from all the grease used in the movie.
>>
>>2998316
Even if your focus was at infinity you may still have problems. 1.8 is not the optimal aperture for any lens.
>>
>>3001712
There is no lens autofocus, it is always the body which does the autofocus. what you most likely mean is that you can activate the af in the bidy or the lens. which does not make a difference.
>>
>>3001868
you can learn the basics in regard to picture design also with a phone. you cannot learn the basics in regard to camera handling, so focusing, exposing or flashing and stuff, so well with a phone though.
>>
>>3003311
either is sufficient. consider and decide based on practical reasons like portability, accessibility and so on.
>>
>>3002554
you don't need a cap they get in the way
>>
>>3002805
Not really. Import with Lightroom and you may be able to get it cropped as you upload. Alternatively some compact digital cams can change to 1:1 like the lolympus tg4
>>
File: images.jpg (2KB, 120x90px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2KB, 120x90px
Recently got a rebel t1i to get my feet wet in photography.

Girlfriend found a really old giant lens for this old camera she has. I realized pretty fast that it wouldn't fit, but holding it over the... lens hole (?) worked well enough at seeing that it zooms in really far. Couldn't adjust focus or anything because of having to hold the two together.

Would it be worth finding an adapter? I read that it uses a "Konica AR Bayonet mount", but can only find stuff like this online.

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Pro-Lens-Mount-Adapter/dp/B00CYLLAT8

Found the lens online for $10-$25 which makes me wonder if it's even worth it.
>>
Would it be bad to buy a camera secondhand if it doesn't have any warranties besides a 30-day return? I'm really leaning towards it because the price is more than $300 less than a new camera and there's no tax. The description just says it has no big scratches.
>>
Is it worth buying a used canon 6d this far in it's life cycle? I can get it for 900$, probably can make $200 off selling my t2i
>>
Why do people talk so much about lenses being so much sharper than others when you can use a cheap point and shoot camera and take a photo of someone and still be able to count individual pores on their face? How much sharper do you want it to be?
>>
>>3003935
If the lens itself isn't sharp, then no matter how many megapixels your camera sensor has, the pores that you mentioned would be blurred. Imagine looking through a dirty/foggy window vs a clear one. You might be able to see many details but the clarity will suffer.
But yes, usually there's a perf/dollar curve to keep in mind. Enthusiasts always pay out the ass because they are willing to pay for the best.
>>
>>3003939
But if even a shitty point and shoot camera has a lens that is sharp enough to see single hairs in a portrait from several feet away what's the point of paying thousands of dollars for a lens that will do the same thing? Not talking about landscape or wildlife photographers, but people who buy things like leica lenses just to take photos of their friends.
>>
>>3003961
Aside from what I've mentioned, there's other issues such as Chromatic Abberation, Distortion (multiple types), Contrast (some optics just are pretty dull, leaving images washed out), Build quality.
Keep in mind, that the bigger the glass, the more expensive it is to make as well without defects. A smartphone's lens is very small. Most interchangeable lenses that are out there are designed for 35mm film/sensor.
But you're right about boutique shit like Leica. It's nice, but unless you've got money to blow, there's no point in buying it. Kind of like buying a Maserati vs a bmw if you plan on riding both at 70mph on the highway. The 200$ p&s would be like a honda fit. Sure it CAN do it, but it's at it's limits and has no reserve power, so you're better off buying something more powerful unless you need the small size. Trade offs my man
>>
do you white balance of grey, white, black? whats the best option without a grey card
>>
>>3003972
Eyeball it and/or bright matte neutral surface.
Cycle through kelvin in live view will be close then adjust in LR
>>
premiere or AE?
>>
Is hdr bracketing good for night time photography?

>>3004007
After effects is for post production and effects. Premiere is for cutting movie clips together and adding audio.

If you're still unsure. Ae for digitaly created projects. Premiere if you cut together filmed clips.
>>
File: full-frame-and-APS-C-sensor.png (554KB, 1024x668px) Image search: [Google]
full-frame-and-APS-C-sensor.png
554KB, 1024x668px
I suppose it would be a really retard question.

Why full frame cameras with the same mp count as crop ones cost more? I guess it's harder to produce but it doesn't make sense for me. I mean, you need higher density on APS-C matrix than on full frame. Doesn't it mean that it's harder to produce?
>>
>>3004054
No, night time requires a longer shutter speed, by bracketing you're tripling that. Also, there isn't a great deal of light variance at night.

>>3003972
Get any item that's matte and neutral gray, use that. Don't try and eyeball it without a calibrated screen, stick to the presets
>>
>>3004060
All sensors are made from giant circular wafers that are cut up, there's always some faults so cutting small sensors leads to less waste.

The larger the sensor, the exponentially more expensive it is. Sometimes you can't get a single medium format sensor off a foot wide wafer, hence why they're expensive as fuck.

Sony spent a shit ton over the last couple of years trying to improve this, the next couple of years will show if it worked.
>>
>>3004062
Now I see. Thanks.
>>
>>3004061
Got it thanks!
>>
Assigning focus to a different button, is it recommended to learn from the start?

I'm about 15000 photos in and just got one with programmable..
>>
Is using UV filters to protect your lens a meme or are they actually useful?
>>
>>3004087
meme

Though it may be useful to protect front lens but you probably don't need it.
>>
i have a d3200 and when a go to the playback menu i have a lot of option blocked.
when i try to use it says "this option is not available at current sethings or in the camera's current state".

i don't know why this happen, the camera used to work perfectly.

i can't use LV neither.

have anyone ever had this problem? pls help...
>>
>>3004087
So far as I know, Use em to protect your lens from scratches. But uv? Probably not
>>
>>3004087
They're a scam so camera stores can make an extra couple of bucks.

Every air-glass interface scatters light and affects image quality. Unless you buy a top-quality UV filter (which you won't, because they cost as much as a good lens), you're just shitting up your lens by using one. I will never understand why people spend a fortune on lenses with exotic optical glass and the best coatings only to stick a POS filter on the front.

As for protection, it's not really an issue as long as you aren't a total retard or working in a war zone. Using a hood can also help prevent scratches. In 20 years of photography I've never managed to damage a front element, and I'm not particularly careful with my gear.
>>
>>3004070
It's very natural if your camera has a button in the right place for it. Not having to fug around with AF-L during focus and recompose, or switching from single shot to AI servo (that's what canon calls AF-S and AF-C?)
>>
>>3004101
Got it thanks. I put it on a different key!
>>
>>3003935
>>3003961
contradicting the answer of the other dude, I say that you are right generally. most lenses are just sharp enough.

but keep in mind that especially a point'n'shoot will post process the images heavily and some percentage of the sharpness is artificial.

once you start to deal with trying to do as less post as pissible you start to appreciate the little differences of high-quality glass.

but for 99% of users and cases litterally ANY lens will do the job.
>>
File: IMG_0782.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0782.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have a zorki 4k, my dad's old camera that's not been used since the 80s.

I took a few photos (I'm very much an amateur) and the ones in daylight aren't all that bad. The ones in low light, indoors, are barely visible.

If I were to have the negatives scanned, would I get much out of trying to mess with the image in something like photoshop?

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6 Plus
Camera Software10.0.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:01:17 13:29:16
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness1.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3004140
most people will use a thumb button, the AF-On or AE-L button on most SLRs. It's a crapshoot for most mirrorless users whether there's an appropriately placed button.
>>
So I want to start shooting in manual and have a probably stupid question for you. When i set aperture, shutter and ISO, they should always combine into EV=0? If yes, what is then the point of manual mode?
>>
>>3004199

EV refers to the overall brightness of a scene, homie. A usual daylight scene with full sun is around EV 15.
>>
>>3004200
no that's LV
>>
>>3004202

It's also exposure value.
>>
>>3004204
"LV measures how much light there is, and EV measures how much of the light is allowed into the camera". So, no.
>>
how can i resize my photos? YES THATS A STUPID QUESTION I KNOW :D but i have never resized them :D :D
>>
>>3004205

There's also only one correct exposure combination for any one given light level, so.. . yes?

I mean, I totally get what you're saying, and you're technically correct, but it's far more common to refer to the brightness of a scene as the combination of iso, aperture, and shutter speed, rather than the abstract amount of footcandles or lux or whatever the fuck. Hell, the LV wikipedia page is really just a disambiguation page, while the EV page is chock full of value.
>>
File: EV.png (47KB, 633x829px) Image search: [Google]
EV.png
47KB, 633x829px
>>3004208

forgot my pic. ;)
>>
>>3004207

It's cool, man. This is the stupid question thread. All stupid questions allowed.

You should be using whatever image editor you have to resize your photos.

You're editing your photos, right? You aren't just beaming them off your camera onto the internet, are you? If you are, stop. Pirate (or buy the CC license) and get lightroom and/or photoshop.

Or use gimp! Or Irfanview! It's all the same. Many roads to the same destination and all that. Hell, you can even edit your photos on your phone or tablet if you want.
>>
>>3004212
yea well listen, in gimp i dont know where to find those ''resize tools'' because i just need to RESIZE. but in gimp2 you can resize photo IN LAYER. oh i sound so stupid..
>>
>>3004219

It's the "scale image" dialog.
>>
>>3004220
yea whatever i do it just comes out wrong. thats why i dont resize them.
>>
>>3004223

click the little chainlink icon next to it so you constrain the proportions. Then you set the longest dimension to whatever length you want and the other side will automatically resize.
>>
>>3004225
its soo cool that you dont judge me, thankyou for your help :)
>>
>>3004226

No problem. We all started somewhere, even if some people like to pretend they were born with consummate knowledge of all things photography.
>>
If my camera doesn't have a light meter would I need to get something like a sekotonic or would an app on my phone be accurate enough?
For medium format colour negative mainly.
>>
>>3004159
Using curves you could.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (799KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
799KB, 1000x750px
>>3004510
forgot image
(also try to resize your photos to be under 1MB)

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Created2017:01:18 00:06:31
Image Width1000
Image Height750
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (308KB, 1000x712px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
308KB, 1000x712px
>>3004512
This image has definite potential btw

Image Created2017:01:18 00:08:51
Image Width1000
Image Height712
>>
If you put a safe light filter over a flatbed scanner, could you scan film without developing it assuming there's no light leaks?
>>
>>3004517
No. I'm not really sure you understand how film works.

Firstly, film is sensitive to red light. Film processing must always be done in the dark. The reason you see darkrooms with a a safelight is because photo paper, what you print onto with an enlarger, is not sensitive to red light (orthochromatic).

Secondly, film must be developed for an image to be produced. Exposing the film is merely the first step in producing an image. The chemistry used in developing film removes certain parts of the emulsion, renders an image and then makes it nonsensitive to light. Without development, the film is blank.

Thirdly, scanners use a small white light when scanning, so assuming none of what I previously mentioned was true, this alone would ruin the film.

There's more things that make this impossible but I think I've covered all the major bases
>>
>>2996569
Triggered sonyfag tries to justify their purchase pt.1
At the end of the day you have all your third party stuff, but you know that Sony doesnt give a fuck about your camera, and the next month, when the succesor to your camera is released, you will be stuck with a ton of adapters, chinese shit and soviet m42 lenses
>>
How does a wider aperture narrow the depth of field. I get it lets more light in but how does that make the focused area more shallow
>>
>>3004552
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EyK7gjUxzk
>>
How to take protest photos without getting into trouble legally or by some crazy character(s)?
>>
>>3004538
Why do i need sony to give a fuck about my camera, in the uk warranty is with the store, not the manufacturer, and I'm covered for 6 years by uk consumer law. Like how i bought a monitor, from korea, on ebay, that broke after 16 months, seller refused to help, ebay refused to intervene, so i took ebay to court and won back nearly double the cost i paid.

I also had the vast majority of my lenses already, for my om, fd, eos, m42, m39, nikon f, pk and md mount film bodies.

The only chinese shit i own is some yong flashes and I've got one of the new yong 100mm f2 lenses coming for shits and giggles.
>>
>>3004514
My bad on the file size, I had read the rules, just didn't think to check (new here, and to photography).

Thanks though! Was just taking pictures of my friends and the city (no particular stylistic choices made) to see how pictures from this camera would turn out. I actually really love them. Using a range finder is a bit tricksy but I'm smitten.
>>
File: IMG_0814.jpg (306KB, 1858x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0814.jpg
306KB, 1858x1242px
>>3004615

CommentScreenshot
Image Width1858
Image Height1242
>>
How water-tolerating is my Nikon?

How do I shoot in rain/snow?
>>
Why is it when I shoot RAW my photos load up on Photoshop all grainy? How do I get this to stop?

>Using Nikon D3200
>>
Want to get my first analog camera to try stuff out, Canon EOS 1000F or Braun SR 2000?

I can get them for 25€ both. Not sure what to pick.
>>
>>3004808
The Braun is lomo-tier chinkshit. Avoid unless you're consciously going for lomoshit.
>>
>>3004832
What is lomoshit?

I was reading about how it actually is a decent camera but nobody is giving it a chance for beeing chinese build.
>>
File: s1037621_sc7.jpg (8KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
s1037621_sc7.jpg
8KB, 380x380px
In theory could you take a photo on a dslr, get the photo in your phone, then use the app to print it out with these things to get dslr quality 'instant photos'?
>>
>>3004834
Lomoshit is lomography
>>
>>3004836
The instax printer's resolution is pitiful, like 800x600 at most. Don't even consider it for anything better than a normo-tier cellphone.
>>
>>3004832
Why would it be lomo tier? Because you found the review on lomography of the camera? baka
>>
>>3004839

So... just about the board standard resolution for /p/..
>>
>>3004858
800 x 600 =/= high density ppi

So technically you're going to have 72ppi/dpi prints at 800x600 meaning they will be near the quality of the 3 dollar disposable cameras. Pretty trash.

Your best bet it to get a better printer that you can hook up to your computer.
>>
File: 8done.jpg (522KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
8done.jpg
522KB, 1000x667px
guys,

I have to do print 11 pictures for the exebition of a project. each picture is accompanied by a text.
I plan on hanging them fron the celling away from a wall.

what size should the prints be.

I'm thinkig about 8" for the longest side ?
also I plan on having them print and then add some paper board to the back for more heft.
any insight ?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.4
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2017:01:18 20:09:29
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length17.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3004860

It does mean high density ppi, because the sp2 prints on instax mini, which are fucking tiny.
>>
>>3004860
OP here. I mostly meant to use it to hand out prints to friends and family at parties and stuff. Not necessarily things to frame on a wall, but just as something to throw in a scrapbook as a souvenir. I guess I might as well just get those cheap Instax Minis since it would be faster and more convenient.
>>
is anyone here using uniwb? or how exactly are yall metering for highlights without clipping?
>>
>>3004536
Holy shit I feel stupid. Thanks for clearing this up. I actually loaded film into a developing tank using a red light (the first and only time I've developed). I just thought my negatives were super dark since you could still see the image.
>>
I feel stupid for asking so I'm asking here. If I have to choose, which one of these 3 should I prefer?
Pentax P30n, Minolta X-300 or Minolta X-300s
Going to be my first film cam
>>
>>3004902

I used uniwb 100% of the time on my D300, not so much on my D800 as the files have enough latitude that I don't worry about clipping highlights as much. If it's a contrasty scene I'll just use -2/3 exposure compensation to be safe. Might be worth a try, though. I always got terrific results once I started using it on my D300.
>>
>>3004908
Wow I'm actually surprised you got an image at all, that's pretty impressive. Don't feel stupid, you're in the stupid questions thread. Gotta learn somehow, and asking questions is the best way

>>3004940
Any of those will be great. I've personally used the Pentax P30 and loved it, but the Minolta's are good cameras also. Film cameras don't matter too much in terms of the final image, they're essentially light tight boxes with a shutter. As long as they function properly and the light seals are good, then you'll be ready to rock and roll
>>
>>3004902
I use it in the rare cases where highlight clipping is a big issue.
But I don't like to chimp in green if I don't have to.
>>
>>3004778
>Why is it when I shoot RAW my photos load up on Photoshop all grainy?

When you shoot JPEG your camera does noise reduction, and the compression itself also blurs out the fine "grainy" noise.

>How do I get this to stop?
Just apply noise reduction in Photoshop.
It's superior to the in-camera noise reduction because you can use far more CPU power.

If you use Lightroom, it applies noise reduction by default so you don't have to do anything.
Not sure if that's possible in Photoshop.
>>
>>3005065
>>3004999
Is there a guide that explains it for a 5 yr old
>>
>>3005187

For 5 year olds, probably not. The basic theory is that camera sensors are most sensitive to green light, and so if you use a green-tinted white balance, you'll be able to expose without blowing highlights very accurately (as the green channel will be the first to blow).

It was more functional 5 years ago, when cmos technology was a little more primitive and had less dynamic range. i honestly haven't heard of anyone using it lately because all of the new isoless sony sensors are so absurdly good. it might still have some utility, however.

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm describes in detail (too much detail, even) how to derive your own uniwb for your camera model. If you're lucky, someone has already made one. If not, it requires some legwork on your part.
>>
File: 1.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
I have a couple of questions for this 50mm Minolta MD lens.

What is those number markings in the red boxes even useful for?

In the right box there is a red dot, is this the mark of the Entrance pupil? Or..?

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.5
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
>>3005187
>>3005202
just to chime in, it's not exactly that camera sensors are more sensitive to green light, there are just twice as many green squares on a bayer filter as red or blue. The camera shows you the color histograms from a white-balanced JPEG, thus the red and blue channel histograms are usually much less exposed than it looks.
so basically you shift it really green and then you can take sunshits without taking the chance of blowing out your red channel. if you're five years old you probably won't like it because all your in-camera pictures will be green. If you're a little older it can be useful for ETTR or really saturated subjects
>>
>>3005231
>number markings
I think those indicate the depth of field. like in your picture, at f/8 the focal field extends from 3 to 10 meters away.
>red dot
>Most manual-focus fixed-focal-length lenses and cameras had a red dot in the depth of field scale. This was the IR index. You focused normally and then rotated the focus ring slightly to move the distance at the main index to the IR dot. Easy.
-- kenrockwell.com
>>
>>3005234
>I think those indicate the depth of field. like in your picture, at f/8 the focal field extends from 3 to 10 meters away.
Wow that's actually pretty clever.

My modern Autofocus lens doesn't have this stuff even though that's useful information.
>>
>>3005231
>is this the mark of the Entrance pupil?
Yeah, in the late 70's it was really popular to use nodal stitching rigs to create gigapixels shots with 35mm cameras, so this was important info...
>>
>>3005237
well don't get too excited, the circle of confusion they use is probably inappropriate for today's high resolution sensors
some of the modern primes still have depth of field scales, obviously you can't do it with a zoom lens
>>
>>3004616
Nice! Once you get a good collection of stuff you should make a thread and post them here. People will likely be extremely rude and critical but it helps you learn.
>>
Which camera performs better in low light, the Canon 6D or 5DIV?
>>
>>3005282
for print or digital format?
>>
>>3005233
>>3005202
went ahead and did it and quite a difference it is
>>3005259
>>
Dad just died, left me money.

Should I get a D810?
>>
>>3005343
this is dad.
get a gfx50 dimwit.
>>
>>3005343

Your dad was my best friend, and he loved Sony
>>
I want to get better at post processing. Where do I start? I mainly want to up my Lightroom processing
>>
How do I make my camera go CLACK CLACK CLACK? I love that loud shutter sound like you're firing a machine gun.
>>
>>3005454
Hit it repeatedly against a hard surface, or take multiple pictures in rapid succession
>>
>>3004877

I`m still undecided.
any pointers would help
>>
Any recommendations for famous modern-ish portrait photographers to look into for inspiration? I'm mostly looking for studio, fashion, glamour stuff similar to Annie Leibovitz I guess. Some street/travel portraiture like Steve McCurry's stuff is also okay, but I'd rather look into portraits done in a highly controlled environment if that makes any sense.
>>
File: wet-camera.jpg (86KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
wet-camera.jpg
86KB, 716x960px
How water-resistant are Nikon's?

How should one go about photographing in the rain/snow?
>>
>>3005060
Thanks dude I was really unsure about the P30n as I didn't find much about it online. I know that they don't matter much aslong as they got all the functions you want but I was curious about if they might be actually crap in some way.

The P30n beeing the cheapest with a nice zoom lens is what I will get then I guess.
>>
>>3005563
Don't risk a +$1500 camera
>>
>>3005060
>>3005670
Looks like I didn't realize that the P30n is setting the ISO automatically, would this be a big con or does that not matter so much?
>>
>>3005274
I think I'll do that! Cheers mate.
>>
>>3005563
get a protective bag or something, they are pretty cheap and you dont risk fucking up the camera
>>
>>3005563
I used to shoot in the pouring rain with a Nikon D7000, no problem.
>>
File: ul_DSCF9786.jpg (164KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ul_DSCF9786.jpg
164KB, 562x1000px
what's your opinion on film grain in digital fotos ?

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX20
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image Width2248
Image Height4000
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:01:06 22:14:50
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness6.2 EV
Exposure Bias1 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length23.70 mm
Image Width562
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2998292
because you didnt focus
>>
Where the fuck did the Fedora Thread go?

I said that OP was thinking way too hard and was too euphoric, but there was nothing wrong with the thread itself... photos were being posted.

OP, start that shit up again. I wanna see where the fuck it was going.
>>
>>2995773
Is /toy/ photography allowed in /p/?
>>
>>3006575

With how slow this board is, dick pics should be allowed.
>>
File: A day at the beach.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
A day at the beach.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>3006576
While this was taken with my phone, any advice for when I move to bigger cameras?
>>
>>3006578

Not bad but don't cut off the side of the left one's head
>>
What fps are tv shows shot in?

Especially 4K netflix shows.
>>
I'm trying to take sunrise/sunset photos over/near water and one problem I've encountered is I want long shutter speed to make the water smooth but obviously this means the photo is over exposed because of the bright sun. How do people take long exposure sunrise/sets with water? I had my aperture set to max (Which is 30 on my camera) and my ISO set to minimum (Which was 100) and I could only get about 1/15 sec for shutter speed for a decent photo.

Do people layer photos like take a long exposure of the water and layer with another. Even then I couldn't go past about 3 seconds exposure on the water before it too became over exposed.
>>
Are there any good careers where you get payed a fuck ton that just involves photography?
>>
>>3007541

If you have to ask this, you aren't good enough to make it.

But the answer is no anyway. Not unless you prove yourself, finance yourself, and promote yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 275x183px
I have a Nikon D3400 and I'm trying to experiment and learn about different depths of field, and shooting on manual or aperture priority mode, the f-stop number stays the same no matter what I do. What am I doing wrong?

Random googled image semi related

Image Width275
Image Height183
>>
8-10 year expired film supposedly stored in room temp for $2 a roll. Good deal?

Types:
Kodak pro 400uc
Fuji 160 Pro Portrait
Ektar 25
Kodak gold 200
>>
File: 90 KB.jpg (29KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
90 KB.jpg
29KB, 612x380px
I have taken thousands of photos of things I sell on ebay. Meticulous photos crafted to fetch maximum prices.

I've taken far more of these than any other kind of photo.

Am....Am I a product photographer?
>>
Hey guys, what's thew point in shooting in raw? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>3007227
Neutral Density filters, look em up.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.