[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does everyone in here going to college for a photography related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Does everyone in here going to college for a photography related major also get shit constantly for it? I'm not even going for a BFA, I'm a Photo Technology major, and I cringe whenever I'm asked what I'm going to school for because of what people will think of me for being in an 'art' school. I thought I could make a really cool career out of being a camera geek but I'm really not sure about my choices now.
>>
Not really too related to what youre talking about but this seems like a nice place for me to about about this:

Not an art major, but took a photography class at my uni for fun. Holy shit did I luck out, my professor was great (as in, he's actually a top-tier pro whos had books and gallery appereances). Its so weird to see that I know more about digital photography technique than almost all "pro" photographers in my area who charge for photos.
>>
I get what you mean, the first thing that they told us in my photo arts lecture is that we will know more about photography after our first semester than 95% of professional photogs. I don't really even consider myself a photographer, just kind of a nerd. It's weird how that works.
>>
>>2994657
i actually had a great english teacher in college that basically said youre an idiot if youre going to uni for art related instead of fucking just do it. we watched the movie basqiat and shit was lit
>>
>>2994702

Your teacher was an idiot. A degree is a bare minimum requirement to be taken seriously as an artist.
>>
>>2994710
>>2994702
I agree and disagree with both of your statements.

It's true that it's stupid to get an art degree. You can't (for example) just learn to paint by going to college. You can learn to an extent, but your abilities will limit you from there.

However, I've applied for many jobs that want a fucking 4 year degree in a visual field for some basic ass $12 an hour job standing behind a camera. And they don't even want to look at your fucking reel or portfolio first. It's absolutely retarded. I'd hire a graphic designer with a good portfolio before I hire one with a shit portfolio and a degree. But unfortunately, that's just not how some of the people in big corporations see it.
>>
Architecture..
What makes us different from the other schools is that we actually get hired after we get out, because the technical skills are propounded here just as much as the creative fostering.
We are seen as super gods of another plane of existence.
A bit pretentious, egotistical, and asshole-ish, sure (these three are warranted).
Other majors will never shit on us for being 'worse' or 'inferior' though, because we put out.

It's probably different at Cornell or RISD where they don't teach you shit and you exit school like a fish out of water.
>>
>>2994657
Film major here. I go to a school where everyone that works their asses off doing internships gets at least a 70k/year position straight out of school.

Ever go to the movies? There's a fuckload of people in the credits.
>>
>>2994819
>studying an industry in decline
Ever go to the movies? Notice they're always fucking empty.
>>
>>2994821
The traditional film industry where people go to sit down in theatres is dying yes, but now there are a fuckload more platforms to display your work on, now that we've gone balls deep into the Information Age. It's great.
>>
>>2994669
And that still doesn't mean shit. You could know all there is to know and still be a shitty photographer.
>>
>>2994819
>>2994768

Lmoa
>>
>>2994657
>constantly
That's millennialspeak for "at most once".
>>
>>2994657
>architecture useless
someone have to design buildings?
engineers? well enjoy your square building.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.