[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use golden ratios/compositional guidelines with your work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 21

File: FMJ.jpg (964KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FMJ.jpg
964KB, 1920x1080px
Do you use golden ratios/compositional guidelines with your work? What do you think of them?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:12:18 23:16:32
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
>>
People like to put them all over images that I doubt had the ratio in mind, so I dunno.
>>
>>2993707

ok look its the reddit spiral again.

only dumb normies and the Tool fanbase fall for that bullshit.
>>
>>2993710
That's how I've always seen it too. I doubt 90% of people who 'use it' actually set out to use it, but instead crop their images to fit the meme spiral
>>
>>2993710
>>2993717
I think a lot of cinematographers study the ratio to keep it in the back of their mind. Chivo's compositions are riddled with the spiral/ratio lines but you can see in b-roll that he doesn't have it taped on the monitor or anything.
>>
>>2993718
>Chivo's compositions

take your plebtrician crap back to rebbit with you.
>>
>>2993707
>like his fucking ear is the center of the golden spiral
the scene is about seeing so its probably vincente's left hand or eyes
>>
Diamond ratio is all the rage now

http://petapixel.com/2017/01/02/diamond-ratio-ultimate-rule-photo-composition/
>>
>>2993769
Wow, that looks like bullshit. You can put that rectangle on anything.
>>
>>2993769
>6x8,4cm
Close to 6x8. Interestingly recently acquired a Fuji GX680III, and find that ratio to be very comfortable to compose with.

>find 35mm and 6x9 to be a bit wide
>6x6 and 6x7 (4x5) too narrow.
>>
>>2993779
>>2993769
Satire
>>
compositional 'guidelines' are okay for people who don't know anything about intentionally composing visual elements within their photographs and don't know where to start. It's not some kind of magic making beautifier, but it can get newbs thinking about being aware of the elements they see through their viewfinder, especially those who are uncomfortable or unsure where to start with composing an image.
>>
Are you a......photographer?
>>
>>2993824

But why worry at all about composition when you can just draw a chalk cube around a naked girl?
>>
>Do you use golden ratios/compositional guidelines with your work?
No

>What do you think of them?
whatever, if they're useful for you use them
>>
>>2993935
>still this mad about isis cuckening
>>
i use rule of thirds a lot but only as a backup if i cant figure out any better composition. rule of thirds doesnt usually fit compositions too well, it gives you funky framing.
>>
>>2993942
i guess i should have said i use rule of thirds sometimes. i use it a lot in proportion to the other guides, but i dont really use any of them consciously very consistently
>>
Is there a good book on composition in photography?
>>
>>2993872
Filmmaker
>>
File: Chivo 136.jpg (153KB, 1280x539px) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 136.jpg
153KB, 1280x539px
I think that, with 2.39 aspect ratios, the vertical guide lines are more important to know than the horizontal. The horizontal rule of thirds lines are pretty easy to approximate on the spot and even then the shot can be more successful if they're a bit off. But the vertical rule of thirds lines and the longest golden ratio line (the one going through the brim of Joker's hat in OP's pic) are more often than not the better places to put an object. I'm not advising to default to those, but being familiar with where they are and trying them out may be just what a shot needs.

But really, it all comes to balance, and guidelines are nothing but suggestions. If you have to move a figure away from the golden ratio line to make it more balanced, then do it. The lines aren't more right than you are, so don't enforce them.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2016:04:09 16:40:56
Image Width1280
Image Height539
>>
>>2993972
>brim of the hat
Which line do you mean? The right vertical line or the curve?
>>
File: 1483260656732.gif (595KB, 157x195px) Image search: [Google]
1483260656732.gif
595KB, 157x195px
>>2993969

The correct answer was "No I'm a combat correspondent."
>>
File: Chivo 3.png (1014KB, 1220x526px) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 3.png
1014KB, 1220x526px
>>2993974
The longest vertical line, my bad.
>>
>>2993977
lol
full metal jacket
>>
>>2993978
Also, by vertical rule of thirds do you mean horizontal lines or vertical ones? I'm asking because horizontal lines are responsible for vertical arrangement of a photo.
>>
File: FMJ.gif (990KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
FMJ.gif
990KB, 500x281px
>>2993977
>>
>>2993972
What should one study/do to know better than the guidelines do? I see many people thinking how artistic their bad photos are, and for all i know i might be one of them.
>>
File: the new world.png (469KB, 1024x426px) Image search: [Google]
the new world.png
469KB, 1024x426px
>>2993981
Vertical ones, but you're right in that they can be responsible for where something is vertically. The positioning of people's eyes comes to mind. I was talking about using it more like pic related, where the characters run down the vertical rule of thirds lines.
>>
>>2993983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgyH9k1CSM
>>
The irony of this thread is FMJ is a Stanley Kubrick film, who regularly used golden mean in his films and IIRC got his start in photography.
>>
File: Framing Guide example.png (3MB, 1275x544px) Image search: [Google]
Framing Guide example.png
3MB, 1275x544px
>>2993985
What I recently did for studying cinematography (you can do this to study photography too) was create a transparent framing guide with all of the lines I think are important and put it over frames from films to see where the elements of the composition are in relation to the lines. I normally take notes on patterns I notice, like how the edge of a person's face will often look better touching a third or golden ratio vertical line than if the line ran up the middle of the head.

This may be an overly-thorough method (I cropped all the terms for each line out of the pic related example) but I'm learning a lot fairly quickly. In my experience, it helps to have these compositional ideas in the back of your head while shooting.
>>
>>2993988
So he did. He was given a camera by his father to his 13th birthday and soon became an avid photographer.
> Many crew members were upset by his style: cinematographer Russell Metty complained to producers that Kubrick was taking over his job. Kubrick's response was to tell him to sit there and do nothing. Metty complied, and ironically was awarded the Academy Award for his cinematography.
>>
File: KubrickPhotography.jpg (179KB, 928x307px) Image search: [Google]
KubrickPhotography.jpg
179KB, 928x307px
>>2993988
Yup, he started working for LOOK magazine instead of going to college. I'm not sure if he purposely planned on using the golden ratio in shots, but knowing his meticulous nature I wouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>2993993
Thanks for sharing.
>>
File: Kubrick.jpg (121KB, 615x640px) Image search: [Google]
Kubrick.jpg
121KB, 615x640px
>>2993994
That's hilarious. I always wonder how much/how little the cinematographers did on his films, given how much control Kubrick had on everything.
>>
File: IMG_9277.jpg (82KB, 364x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9277.jpg
82KB, 364x550px
>>2993935
She was clothed, m8, get it right.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:04:11 11:48:21
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceFlash
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width0
Image Height0
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: Chivo 109.png (294KB, 852x354px) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 109.png
294KB, 852x354px
>>2993997
No prob.
>>
>>2993993
Recently I've read a book on painting, i think I'll post some of the examples later.
I also try to watch films from a photographer's standpoint.
>>
>>2994002
How did you come up with the lines, though? Apart from the ibvious rule of thirds ones.
>>
File: Framing Guide example2.png (4MB, 1500x900px) Image search: [Google]
Framing Guide example2.png
4MB, 1500x900px
>>2994005
Here's the version of the guide I made for printing (I put that shit on 3x5 cardstock -- so fucking dope). Many of the lines/terms are my own creations.

Third and center are explanatory, so I'll skip those (although I will say I am surprised how many times cinematographers put something on a center line since I was taught that was taboo)

Starting with the top horizontal:
Grace Space is the average amount of space I allow for the top of heads/objects from being to the edge of a frame. The space shown is the maximum amount, since I normally move it closer and any more space than that usually looks bad.

Horizon Line is pretty much just how it sounds: where I normally put the horizon (if not near a third/center line)

Now going vertical:
Near-Edge is similar to Grace Space, but its also where I typically put vertical shapes to compliment/enforce the sides of the frame.

Off-Third is also pretty explanatory. I typically put stuff around there to counter-balance some element on the other half of the frame. The golden ratio spiral also begins around the bottom of the Off-Third line and ends up touching where the next guideline meets the top of the frame:

"Fang" is the shorthand term I use for things that go in that aforementioned longest vertical Golden Ratio line. Its probably my favorite guideline for the reason mentioned here >>2993972

Even though a lot of them are my own creation I'm surprised how often other cinematographers' compositional elements line up with them pretty perfectly.
>>
>>2994020
center isnt taboo if it has symmetry.
besides which the rules are really only guidelines and the whole point of knowing them is so you can break them creatively.
>>
File: Chibo 38.png (326KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
Chibo 38.png
326KB, 720x304px
>>2994024
That's kind of exactly why I made the framing guide in the first place: to set up a base of formal elements that I can break away from with my own compositional language.
>>
It seems that using any template or grid is in the wrong direction. If our eyes and brains find, for instance, still iamges, to be beautiful, then will you not of course find some type of geometry/order, given that we find geo/order to be beautiful?
Seems like looking through the viewfinder of your camera and seeing and capturing pleasing compositions will undoubtedly yield some order, after the fact... Music and painting are different but i cant not describe how exactly it is. maybe it is the creation comparing to the construction of forms/elements.
Did Debussy cheat and have climactic event at the golden ratio bar of his works, or is it that only discovered after creation? I read that Bartok consciously used the gold ratio in his composition
>>
File: cinemagraph01-web.jpg (691KB, 1500x847px) Image search: [Google]
cinemagraph01-web.jpg
691KB, 1500x847px
>>2994025
2.39:1 is such a cool aspect ratio to work with. I posted this in the recent photo toilet a couple of days ago, my attempt at cinematic framing

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>2994020
I liked this ratio, going to use more often
>>
File: Chivo 52.gif (1MB, 540x223px) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 52.gif
1MB, 540x223px
>>2994026
I think I understand what you're saying, and if I do then I agree. I think the conventional beauty of stuff like the rule of thirds, golden ratio, etc. are only helpful as a place to start. To only think of an image as being beautiful if it completely adheres to those lines is so creatively limiting. The reason I'm studying the lines is just so that the beauty is in the back of my head while I'm creating my own shots. I don't want to approach something and think "how can I incorporate a Golden Spiral into this shot" or "is the rule of thirds being applied here?" What is above all is the function of the shot in relation to the content of the scene, whether that be story, tone, character dynamics, etc. This is especially true in moving camerawork, as one shouldn't base creative decisions on how to move the camera on if it'll adhere to a compositional line but instead be based on what is being shown.
>>
File: Framing Guide example3.png (3MB, 1275x546px) Image search: [Google]
Framing Guide example3.png
3MB, 1275x546px
>>2994029
As just an "attempt" its really quite good! The only really disharmonious element I can see is the wall with the swan emblem on it -- it kind of disrupts the triangle crowning the man in red.

Just for fun I put my framing guide over your image lol. Again it really isn't that bad and is WAY more interesting than a lot of the over-the-shoulder closeups that cinematography is riddled with.
>>
>>2993710
It doesn't even work in this case because while Jokers position is fine fatboys is just not in the damn thing.

I would prefer it to the rule of thirds gridlines as an option on the LCD screen though.
>>
>>2993950
Practice
>>
File: 34db5d1056fd6bc4244e8999a74872f4.jpg (394KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
34db5d1056fd6bc4244e8999a74872f4.jpg
394KB, 1024x768px
>>2993950
>Squint eyes in viewfinder/ground glass. Looks at the scene as you would with one of those 3D Magic Eye posters.
>Instead of looking for a hidden picture, look for balance/harmony.
>Desregard compositional "rules"
>????
>Profit
>>
A lot of the time the cinematographer isn't even behind the camera. The recent Terrence Malick films with Lubezki have other people operating the camera, so executing the composition lies with them.
>>
>>2994459
Same anon: you can see in this b roll footage from Arrival that the DP, Bradford Young, isn't even next to the camera.
>>
>>2994459
>>2994463

Uh, why would they be behind the camera? 99% of composition is done with your feet. That stupid wanky OMG GOT THE DIAGONAL EXACTLY ON THE THIRDS is lame and contributes nothing to the photo.
>>
>>2994471
>99% of composition is done with your feet
>with your feet

Interesting method
>>
>>2994549
4chan is riddled with footfags.
>>
>>2993994
Haha, this is fantastic.
>>
>>2994563
kek
>>
>>2994020
I would only use a guide like this for adjusting the compositions in post, never for actual filming. Balance should be what is sought on the spot.
>>
Have you spergs ever thought that maybe people with artistic vision plan a shot in a way that they think it will look good, instead of just following some contrived set of formulaic bullshit rules? Watching /p/ talk about composition is like watching failing math students talk about who has the best formula sheet. Understanding != possessing a step-by-step instruction book
>>
>>2994020

holy fuck the autism is off the charts.

please stop touching cameras.
>>
>>2994026
Its helpful at least in the beginning to "train" your eyes. Lots of folks starting out don't see things pbotographically and their vision of beauty is the subject itself, which is center framed and captured on a cell phone or similar inexpensive camera.

When I started out, I would shoot a lot and look at them all in Lightroom to find which ones stood out the most compositionally.

When I got my first dslr I went straight to one of my favorite parks and shot there. After returning several months later I was looking at the park completely differently; I was "seeing" compositions I wouldn't have noticed or just taken for granted before. I'll always value that sort of experience.
>>
>>2994020
>that image

lmaooooooooooo.
>>
>>2994020
this is a retarded way approach to composition
even kubrick would agree
i'm not claiming to know all the aesthetic rules of visual arts (no one knows) but in my experience good composition is all about the dynamic relationship (regarding shape/color/contrast) of the elements of the frame (subject/foreground/backgroud).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=panAJxOD_do

Photographer© Carl De Keyzer - MAGNUM
Image Created2011:05:24 09:25:52
>>
File: shining.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
shining.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>2995378

pretty much

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot A95
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2005:05:05 17:04:54
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length7.81 mm
Image Width800
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Image Number107-0755
>>
>>2994029

What did you shoot this with? I really, really like it.
>>
>>2999279

You have pleb taste.
>>
the golden ratio is a dank meme, there are loads of other spirals that look almost the same
rules of composition are not complete trash though. they exist to teach autists that symmetrical compositions aren't usually good and how a normal human being would frame a portrait
>>
File: 10INT.png (165KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
10INT.png
165KB, 303x311px
>>2999280

What is cinematography for if not the plebeian class?
>>
>>2999279
zach snyder get out of here
>>
>>2999279
Shot with a Ricoh GR

ISO 800, f2.8, 1/200th
>>
>>2999304

Thanks for the oats, brother. Keep it up.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.