[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best temperature to store your camera in order to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: humidity control box.jpg (62KB, 1016x573px) Image search: [Google]
humidity control box.jpg
62KB, 1016x573px
What is the best temperature to store your camera in order to prevent fungus from growing on it?

A few weeks ago the place I live in got extremelly humid because it was raining basically every day. I keep my camera outside, and being in that extremelly humid environment was enough to allow some ugly mold to grow all over the low pass filter and the viewfinder glass assembly. I made a thread here, /p/ said my camera was done for. I blasted the sensor with germicidal uv light as well as direct sun light, then I took it to get the sensor cleaned one month or so ago. In the near future I'll get the viewfinder glass assembly replaced (it costs like 51$ for the 70D, which is my camera), but in the mean time I'm keeping my camera in an air-tight box packed full of silica gel dissicant.

I used a DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor to test if the dissicant was actually making the air inside the box any dryer and, surprise! It actually works. The relative humidity inside it went from 50%, just after I closed the box, to 10%, half an hour later. I wonder if it will go any lower than that.

Anyway, what does /p/ think of this?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerRuijorji OVS
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2992428
>I keep my camera outside
Why the fuck would you keep your camera outside?
>>
>>2992429
I don't keep it outside the house, just outside any kind of enclosure.
>>
>>2992428
I live in Thailand.
It's humid as fuck (70% or something).
Every one I know that's into photography here (including myself) has a dry cabinet.

When I travel, I use ziplocks with silica desiccant.

I envy those that live in more moderate climes that do not have to take these precautions.
>>
>>2992447
My silica box is at 8% now, do you use an hygrometer to monitor the humidity in the box?
>>
Constant 22° celsius in plastic boxes with pouch drying. Not joking at all.
>>
I live in humid south florida and I just keep my stuff in my air conditioned house, that has been enough for the past decade or so.
>>
>>2992451
It'll destroy the lens by drying out the oils used on the moving parts. Just keep humidity between 30 and 40% https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/service/fungus_on_lenses.html
>>
File: HTB1ooz9GFXXXXaOXFXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg (87KB, 800x478px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1ooz9GFXXXXaOXFXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg
87KB, 800x478px
I've placed my monitor in a box that has around 16 liters of volume and a single calcium chloride dehumidifier. RH is stable at 27%, not sure becase if it's not an airtight box or because it's calcium chloride instead of silica gel. I'll test the calcium chloride air dryer with the box in the picture I posted to see if it's any worse than silica gel.
>>
>>2992462
>silica gel and low humidity will destroy and dry out oil
wut
Nigga relative humidity doesn't affect the vapor pressure of petroleum or silicone based lubricants. It's not like he's baking the stuff in a dehydrator at 120 degrees
>>
>>2992451
No. It does have a digital indicator built in that allegedly shows relative humidity to the exterior. Since it's a chinese cheapie box I doubt it's accurate.

In fact, I don't trust that the cabinet does anything at all, but the glowing red LED is reassuring enough for me to forget about it, until the electricity blows out during monsoon rains and I start to worry again.

I should look into getting a better built one, but no mold so far.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.