[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you develop your own film, /p/ ? How much do you pay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

Do you develop your own film, /p/ ?

How much do you pay for C-41/E-6 + prints?
>>
1. yes
2. if I'm lazy and hand my film to a lab: 1eur C41, 2eur E6, additional 2-3eur for prints, additonal 2eur for framing slides.
>>
>>2987803
1. Yes, even make my own developer
2. Too much, and I avoid colour film for that reason, Boots do a deal where it's like £8 for prints and a CD
>>
>>2987803

no, but i plan to.

about developing tanks, is it better metal or plastic for the spiral/reel?

any pasta on best procedures for either C41 development and B&W? i saw some step by step texts before, but didnt save them.
>>
>>2987823
>2eur E6

i hate living in a third world country where everything thats not vegetables and bread is a "luxury".
>>
>>2987803
Film has been obsolete for 20 years. Get over it.
>>
>>2987832
veggies are fine.
If I take the film to a professional lab and not the large lab that sometimes fucks up really bad and scratches the film, I pay 5eur for C41 development only, but it only takes 1 hour. The small lab sends off E6 and one time a package with some provia and velvia got lost in the mail.
>>
1. Yes, black and white.
2. No idea for prints, but C41 development is about €7. E6 was the same but the place I frequent just stopped doing it, so I'll have to find a new lab for that.
>>
Yes, but only B&W in winter (temperature control can be a bitch with C41, so I keep that for spring/summer)

E-6 is 6€ for developing, I scan and print at home. C41 is something like 8-10 I think
>>
>>2987803
I do B&W myself. Rodinal because I'm cheap and impatient. Considering C-41 next but I need a heater to have the necessary control. Not sure where to find one though since aquarium heaters don't like to go as hot as C-41 requires. E-6 is dying out for good in this country, so I'll have to quit shooting it. It's sad because I've only recently gotten good enough to shoot it without failing over half of the exposures.

I pay 6e per roll for C-41 dev, it's about as cheap as it gets here. I have to mail them out because local labs always destroy the negatives without fail, on top of being more expensive. I never take prints.
>>
>>2987823
>1eur C41, 2eur E6
I don't belive you.
>>
>>2987849
Buy a thermometer and buy a kettle. The kettle's in case you don't have hot running water, but then again you may not have electricity!
Getcher kitchen sink and run the hot tap until it runs hot. It should be around 40-60c. Add cold water until it reaches the temperature required.

The thing about processing C41 above 24c is that the time the chemistry is in the film is so short that temperature variations don't really matter. When you have a large volume of water at 40c etc, it takes a lot longer to cool down and can be controlled easily by just adding more warm/cold water.
People hype up C-41 as something complex, but it's really not. You can process at 24c too if you're super bored with your life.
>>
>>2987803
1.yes, make my own dev and fix, ~$0.08 per 35mm roll.
2.$1.89 C-41, $5.90 E6, prints dunno
>>
>>2987858
I don't care.
>>
>>2987849
>E-6 is dying out for good in this country
Norway?

I give have JapanPhoto send it to Germany. Costs NOK 69,- per 120 roll, development only.
>>
>>2987803
1.Only black and white
2. The cheapest place in town is 9€ for 24, 10.99 for 36.
>>
>>2987835
Kill self swiftly
>>
There's a really nice place just a few tram stops from where I live which does C41 for ~ 1.85€ (about twice as much including scans) and E6 for ~4.50€.
The guy who runs that place also has a really stupid sense of humor. Bé Foto, in case anyone's familiar.
>>
1. Only black and white
2. $5 develop only c41/e6 35mm and 120. never get prints/scans
>>
>>2988012
>never get prints/scans
what do you do with the negatives? scan them yourself?
>>
$12 for colour or bw 24exp wth 24 4x6
New year's resolution is to shoot more film and get a small dark room set up.
>>
File: velvia.jpg (30KB, 960x625px) Image search: [Google]
velvia.jpg
30KB, 960x625px
I do C41, E6, and B&W at home, pic related on velvia.

>>2987849

I do all my C41 and E6 at 85 (30C) degrees, easily within the range of an aquarium heater. It just takes longer. I also would get nasty color casts at higher temperatures.
>>
>>2988021
Yep. Storr negs in sleeves in zipup binders.
>>
>>2987830
I prefer metal, feels more natural and I just can't seem to get the film to catch on the plastic reel as well. Also... like my reels to feel like they aren't going to snap any time soon.
>>
>>2987803
One time I went to a photo store where they developed film. I figured, let me just let the pros develop it to see how it compares to my own home dev. It cost me 30 fucking USD for 2 rolls of 24 frames each. But I was already there and this was mostly to satisfy my curiosity, so I paid for it.

I really liked the way they came out, straight out of the jpegs provided. I can't justify the price though, so it's back to home dev for me.
>>
>>2988073
How do you time it to compensate??
>>
>>2987803
>prints
most hipster here use their 5diii to scan their film.
>>
>>2988134

I use the rotary tube processing times, I also wash between the developer and blix steps. It usually takes me 30-40 minutes to do a roll of slide film
>>
>>2988148

whoops link to the instructions I use:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/static/pdf/product_pdfs/unicolor/unicolor-c-41-powder-1-liter-instructions.pdf
>>
>>2987849
>Considering C-41 next but I need a heater
you know your tap can put out hot water right? put your chemistry in a water bath in your sink. use a thermometer.
>>
>>2988183
>you know your tap can put out hot water right?
You're forgetting how many slavs browse /p/...
>>
>>2988183
>you know your tap can put out hot water right?
c-check your darkroom tap privilege
>>
File: flash.jpg (87KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
flash.jpg
87KB, 800x539px
>>2988209
detected

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width800
Image Height539
>>
>>2988187
The one good thing about living in a slav mining colony is cheap district heating.
>>
File: IMG_20160306_0004-Edit.jpg (635KB, 986x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160306_0004-Edit.jpg
635KB, 986x1000px
>>2987803
I develop my own B&W and take E6 to a local place. I do my own scans on a flatbed, I know it's not the greatest quality but it's adequate for my needs. (99% of my film photography is 120 Tri-X and my flatbed outresolves the grain on that, slower/sharper film isn't quite as good and 35 is worthless though.)

I don't shoot C41 at all, since I don't print and E6 is easier to scan, plus I prefer E6 stocks.

IIRC it's about 8 bucks a roll for 120 E6 at my local place, and another $5 or so for scans if I don't want to do them myself. Add in the price of the film itself and you start seeing why I mostly stick to B&W.

Here's some garbage snapshit I took a while back. I have a lot of better stuff that's waiting for dev or scans.

>>2987830
I prefer metal for 35mm, but recently switched to Arista plastic reels with film guides for 120 and they're awesome. I don't shoot much 35 these days so I haven't tried them with that yet.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:06 21:42:30
>>
>>2987829
How do you make your own developer?
>>
>>2988430
https://archive.nyafuu.org/p/thread/2861943/
lile this, for example. there are many developer formulas you can mix on your own. this is the most OTC one.
>>
>>2988439
Thanks anon.
>>
>>2988078
Biggest advantage to steel is you dont need them to dry, so you can develop back-to-back
>>
>>2988439
I lie. Caffenol is most OTC - I forgot to mention it the same way one doesn't mention masturbation when asked about their hobbies.
>>
>>2988439
I remember that thread, is this a cost thing or is this a "because i can" sort of thing? Or is Rodinal hard to get around you?

The thread says it makes up 250ml, Rodinal comes in 1 liter, costs like $16 on freestyle, so i dont see how you could make it for less than $4
>>
>>2988479
There's a full ingredient cost summary somewhere in there. In Poland, it's about 4 times cheaper for me to make it than to buy the same quantity. Also the raw ingredients keep indefinitely, take up little space and can make a lot of rodinal, as long as the paracetamol's there. Mixing it takes ~20 minutes. That's faster than ordering it online and waiting for shipping. It's a significant cost, convenience and lol I am making rodinal at home from painkillers and drain cleaner sort of thing.
>>
I want to start developing b%w at home but it's €130 to buy the kit and chemicals.

Cheapest C-41 near me is €13 a roll not including prints.
>>
>>2988494
If you shoot more than 10 rolls of film in half a year, it's probably worth it for you.
Try not to fall too hard for the "equipment" meme. A lot of people just use measuring jugs/spoons you get for kitchen use and you can even use plastic bottles for storing chems. Glass bottles can even be cheaper than the shit you buy in kits.

I use the following items instead of "recommended" accessories:
>measuring jugs (£0.50p each)
>measuring spoons (£1)
>syringe (free, but £1 or so if you really must buy one)
>plastic bottles recycled for free 500ml, 1000ml, 300ml~
>clothing pegs for weighing down film while drying. (free for me, £1 for hunneds)
>shower curtain clips for hanging film
The most expensive part of my "homemade" kit was the shower curtain clips. I can't find an exact price I paid but ebay shows them as £5 for a pack of 12 right now.

The main bulk of your kit is tank/reel, changing bag, chemicals. Everything else can be replaced fairly easily. C-41 you need pretty much everything in the kit but if you're patient and store your chems properly (cool and dark place) it'll last. B/W processing you can do with just developer and fixer. Stop bath increases the life of your fixer and hypoclear helps with drying but can be substituted with washing up liquid.
Hell, you don't even need a changing bag.
>>
>>2988555
>don't even need a changing bag

pls explain, I'm intrigued
>>
>>2988558
What are you intrigued by, the absence of light in my kitchen, or in my walk in cupboards, or my bathroom at night with the door closed?
If you have a fairly dark room, load at night, block out any light (switch off LED switches etc), hunch over if shooting small or medium format and load your film onto the reel with a thick blanket/jacket over you for protection. Hell, you can use thick trash bags layered if you don't mind the horrible feeling.

Sure, in summer there's only a few small hours I can load without taping my windows in some rooms, but otherwise it works fine. Loading takes less than 2 minutes tops anyway.
>>
>>2988555
>and you can even use plastic bottles for storing chems. Glass bottles can even be cheaper than the shit you buy in kits.
get some wine bottles, cheaper and more fun than just buying brown jugs :P

also, vacu-vin is boss.
>>
>>2988565
Ah right, I thought there was a trick involved or something.

I'm shit at getting my film onto the reels in the dark, so I always rewind with the leader out of the cannister, load the leader onto the reel and then put it all into the dark bag to finish it off. Saves me unnecessary fumbling around in the dark
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.