[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help /p/ Decided to take my camera to my friends graduation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1473946175082.jpg (55KB, 500x684px) Image search: [Google]
1473946175082.jpg
55KB, 500x684px
Help /p/

Decided to take my camera to my friends graduation to snap a few pictures of people and the town. Then heard my friend telling his family to not worry about bringing a camera because his friend was bringing his "professional camera"

How do I go about not disappointing everyone? I have a beginner DSLR and a kit lens of 18-135 as well a a nifty fifty and a 35mm. I don't have a lot of experience in this still but I understand the exposure triangle.
>>
>>2980878
>How do I go about not disappointing everyone?

just bee urself, m8.
>>
>>2980881
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>2980881
1. Practice as much as you can in the same lighting conditions you'll have that day.
2. Pack the 35 or the 50 1.8 for low light and general use (I'd recommend you the 50 because in graduations it's better to have reach than a wider angle). Use it for group pictures with relatives and indoors closeups. Never go wider than f2.8 unless you know what you're doing, a narrow depth of field can ruin your shot with defocused areas that should be sharp. Higher iso+denoising in post production is preferable.
3. If you plan to do a portrait session outdoors or the classic parents&son/daughter, set the kit lens at 135 f5.6 and frame just their heads and part of the shoulders (in other words get close to them for bokeh, plebs crave that shit and will distract them from possible bad framing).
4. If you find yourself in a situation in which you need your tele lens don't be afraid (again) of bumping up the iso. Noise can be fixed in post production, motion blurr due to stupidly slow shutter speeds can't.

Good luck, take it as a challenge and a chance to improve by staying out of your comfort zone. If pressure is too much just approach your friend's parents and be honest, you're just a hobbist and relying on you for such an important day is not only a huge responsibility but also a risk for them, so they better pack their cameras or at least their phones.
Although you should do your best, who knows if this can lead to more jobs.
>>
>>2980907
Oh and I assumed it but just in case, for the love of god shoot RAW+JPEG.

You'll want to take pride of your work and will spend time in post production with the best shots, but they'll want ALL OF THEM.
Raw is for you to polish the good shots. Jpeg is to give them the ones you'd otherwise discard and delete, but without spending time you don't want to spend quickly adjusting and converting them to jpeg.
>>
>>2980912
This but also set the JPEGs so the saturation and vibrance is hiked up, set the JPEG size to be medium so you won't give them wall sized photos. Think about facebook and instagram sizes and make print quality exports from the ones you process from RAWs.
>>
>>2980907
I'm actually supposed to take photos for my brother's graduation and this was helpful information. I figured I would bring my tokina 100mm f2.8 and my 35mm prime.

Is it worth bringing a tripod at all? Or should I not be afraid of bumping up ISO instead?
>>
>>2980941
Thanks Ken
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.