[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is $10/mo worth it for PS and LR or should I stick with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: image3x1_130_20131227161141.png (146KB, 800x595px) Image search: [Google]
image3x1_130_20131227161141.png
146KB, 800x595px
Is $10/mo worth it for PS and LR or should I stick with RAWTherapee and Gimp?
>>
To me it absolutely is.

Lightroom is the big one for me, not because of its RAW processing but because of its cataloging, tagging, and organizing features. It's a billion times easier than manually sorting everything into folders.

If you're the kind of person who actually prefers manually sorting things, though, you might not get a lot out of LR as compared to another RAW processing software.

Other things that make me pay for the Adobe suite are Photoshop's Content Aware tools, which are incredibly useful and powerful, and both programs' compatibility with plugins and external software. (I'm a big fan of the Nik suite, which is now free thanks to Google's buyout earlier this year, and which is a great set of plugins and programs.)
>>
>>2979472
No for both.

DXO Optics Pro
Corel Aftershot Pro
Phase One Capture One
Photoninja
On1 Photo Raw

There are probably 5-6 more options for RAW editors that I don't remember right now, maybe someone else can add more.

And on the open sauce side: Darktable and Krita
>>
>>2979499
>Lightroom is the big one for me, not because of its RAW processing but because of its cataloging, tagging, and organizing features. It's a billion times easier than manually sorting everything into folders.
Are there any other software that offer the same level of cataloguing and editing capabilities, and if so, are they better or worse in those features?
>>
>>2979472
well if you're going to do everything in strict accordance with the law, you shouldn't use gimp or rawtherapee or linux in general because they violate innumerable software patents. you're morally obligated to legal purchase the software service adobe provides, in the same way that you're morally obligated to delete any television program you record after watching it a single time
>>
>>2979472
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+pirate+software%3F

I mean seriously...
>>
>>2979526
> software patents
Explicitly impossible in most countries. Of course there is this one pretty crazy country...
>>
>>2979528
Why bother with all of the hassle of pirating, having to deal with the fact that you're always behind the upgrade curve, having to jump through hoops to keep the software from phoning home, and the worries that somebody may have slipped malware into the download when you can just have the legit thing for the cost of a trip to McDonald's a month?

Also, last I heard, the most recent pirate-able versions of PS and LR are several years old and won't be able to process the RAWs from newer cameras. That may have changed recently though.
>>
Is Lightroom nearly as robust as GIMP for editing? Like for touchup work? Or is it's main advantage in RAW processing?
>>
>>2979552
LR is definitely on the RAW processing side. You have some basic adjustment brushes and filters for burning and dodging and stuff like that, and a simplified spot healing brush, but no real pixel-level editing, no masking or layers, etc.

I find with my own photography that I need PS for portraiture and serious product photography, but for landscapes, events, and casual product stuff (review photos etc) I can do everything in LR.
>>
>>2979552
LR doesn't let you work in layers at all, it has automated nondestructive editing and some things like the dodge/burn functions work similarly though
>>
>>2979550
for the cost of 30 trips to mcdonald's a month, you can finance a car! how much mcdonald's do you even need?
>>
>>2979472
RAWTherapee is pretty damn bad in my opinion.
Being on Linux, i use Darktable, which is way better and also open and free.
>>
>>2979550
My pirated adobe works with the adobe auto updater.

Just gotta not be a noob, you noob.

Just use adobe, dxo and phase one have their uses, everything else is a fucking dumpster fire of shit.

Unless you use fuji, in which case use the built in raw converter as no company has bothered to make a suitable demosaicing algorithm, so your pics will look like soft swirly water paintings.
>>
File: 1466297487126.jpg (47KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1466297487126.jpg
47KB, 580x346px
>>2979526
>you shouldn't use gimp or rawtherapee or linux in general because they violate innumerable software patents
Are you that fucking retarded?
>>
So, when will Blender overhaul their interface so It can also be a decent video editing software and compositor (although Natron is a good one of those too)?
>>
>>2979550
>worries that somebody may have slipped malware into the download
yes of course adobe wouldn't do that...right?
>>
>>2979697
you don't have to copypaste code to violate IP. software patents are a clusterfuck and even GNU is only a lawsuit away from being illegal.
>>
>>2979882
> GNU is only a lawsuit away from being illegal
* in the USA. You'd cut your own wrist.

But the corporate overlords aren't insane and don't want to replace 9/10 software development tools, retain developers, rewrite 4/5 server stacks plus Linux and Android and negotiate and monitor two gazillion extra b2b software licensing contracts (this is one of the HUGE savings on cooperating under open sauce terms, which is why they too are basically fully on board with open sauce) just to be active in the USA.

If you rock the boat like that and they somehow can't stop it at the individual lawsuits, I'm pretty sure they'll see to it that software patents get dropped like everywhere else.
>>
>>2979916
they could press on the gui stuff without going after the backend stuff they want to keep. a lot of linux software (e.g. darktable, the gimp) pretty blatantly imitates the design and interface of commercial software. if linux desktops ever start to gain market share I would actually be surprised if this DIDN'T come up
>>
>>2979927
It will just create a situation in the USA only, and it would be stopped. Everyone else otherwise walks away with a competitive advantage and the corporate overlords STILL have problems.

You think they want to not be "safe" in some of their most problematic to replace staff (programmers, sysadmins, ...) usage of software?

Or even their CEO's whims (yup, I've seen multiple that use Thunderbird and stuff to keep it simple - precisely because they HATE the idea that someone would schedule anything in muh corporate outlook for them).

> if linux desktops ever start to gain market share I would actually be surprised if this DIDN'T come up
So Linux owning virtually everything else including just about everything that makes the money flow, and Android owning the majority of personal computing (time and device share) didn't trigger this... but one of the smallest, least valuable software markets you could define (the remaining of end user desktop software) will?
>>
>>2979550
Pirated versions work just perfect, you get all the new updates and versions for basically free. I ain't got no money to spend on things that were one-time-payment before (around 300$).
>>
>>2979931
you really don't think the usa has influence on european IP laws? they've happily been extending their copyright terms to appease us...
as to your other point, linux doesn't own anything, and android and a good deal of enterprise linux is increasingly privatized (red hat, organizations like ubuntu). linux as a whole is one of the least regulated computing environments around, and if you don't believe a reaction against that is possible, I feel like you're just not paying attention
>>
>>2979940
> they've happily been extending their copyright terms to appease us
Copyright is a different thing!

Of course that's something the EU wants on software. Expiration terms and detail discussions aside, the general idea is not very much challenged.

It's even something a lot of open source proponents want because it's one of like two ways in which they could get "copyleft" working. (The other is governments just forcing everyone to publish their source code for everyone to use - but that won't happen any time soon).

> linux doesn't own anything,
Linux (and Linux-using Android) is dominant to hegemonic on just about every other thing than desktop software and legacy systems that haven't been designed anywhere near recently.

> if you don't believe a reaction against that is possible, I feel like you're just not paying attention
Ultimately the point is that with open source software being so useful to the corporate overlords in the USA, any more general messing around will have a reaction to protect it

And no, it certainly won't have much success globally.
>>
>>2979966
the expiration terms are exactly what I've said they're pushing, and it has a chilling effect on lots of creative industry
you're missing the point. linux is everywhere, but it doesn't OWN anything. open source organizations have little power to control it. android is morphing into a very different system. if there's ever an effort to restrict use to approved versions (e.g. through hardware locks) resistance will be diffuse and ultimately ineffective. and governmetns and industry are VERY interested in controlling what you can and cannot do with a computer.
>>
>>2979979
In the end, a Proprietary software can be successful by:
>having a stable footing in the intustry (Apple and Adobe)
>by having one genius Idea and then building on it (early windows)

Open-Source projects need a lot more stuff to be successful:
>very clever and hardworking programmers so the programm is worth a damn
>people willing to contribute, especially a tight community that adds these features you can't be bothered with
>a team that keeps the endproduct and the documentation clean
>happy employees so none of them run off like crying children, fork the project and take a part of your market
>a good service team so you can sell the customer service and support
>retarded proprietary competition that has almost none of these so you have the benefit of simply being the free product that is almost as good (more or less the reason why GIMP still exists)
>>
>>2979979
Sure, it's very interesting - controlling it would be worth probably trillions in other company's / government's money.

Good luck with that, though.
>>
I've been getting into Affinity recently, and now I think they make it for Win10 too.
>>
>>2979472
I'd say so. I'm by no means made of money or a huge spender but I don't even remember that I'm being billed every month for Adobe's stuff because I use it so often.
>>
>>2979983
You forgot
>UI/UX designers worth a hill of beans
>>
>>2979598
You'll get the most juice from your x-trans in photoninja. It's ultra shit software, but if you can make it out the door in 16 bit tiff without any clipping, aliasing, or fucked highlights, and learn to do most of the work in Photoshop, the sensors really will outstretch any other of the same type. But it's a lot of fucking work and the software is trash.
>>
>>2979472
just pirate it.
>>
>>2979598
>>2980705
For what it's worth, you can actually get much better results with X-trans RAWs in Lightroom than people give it credit for, it's just that the settings you need are unorthodox and far from the default.

Here's a link that explains it: http://petebridgwood.com.gridhosted.co.uk/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

I'm messing around with this right now and comparing photos from a set where I shot RAW + JPEG. Using that link's techniques, I'm getting about the same detail with RAWs as with JPEGs, and maybe even more in some areas.
>>
>>2979472
torrent the shit you retard.
>>
>>2980688
I learned that people obsessed with FOS-Shit are very resistant to horribly clusterfucked UIs because they generally spend around the first 2 days setting everything up. Just look at blender.
>>
>>2980794
Blender is efficient to work with even with everything default and that you can arrange panes and views as you like isn't really a complex thing.
>>
>>2979472
Yes, it does. $10 a month is basically nothing, you get two software legally with all kinds of updates right away, all the time for basically nothing.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.